Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/2/2022 10:03:21 AM EDT
Seems like I'm seeing way less wild turkeys this year. Out hunting today and heard a few distant gobbles right after day break and then silence.  Didn't see a turkey last evening or so far yet today.

ETA UPDATE!

My patience paid off.  Got him at 1:15 pm. 31 yard head shot. DRT!  Called him from about 85 yds which was the first time I got eyes on him.
Link Posted: 5/2/2022 5:07:33 PM EDT
[#1]
There's a pair of toms on my property.

First fellow has nine hens and the second just two. They're super skittish bird, if I sneak outside they'll bee-line to the forest even 400 feet away. Even peering at them through the windows can spook them from about 100 feet away.  

This is the second guy with the beat up tail display.
Link Posted: 5/2/2022 9:48:01 PM EDT
[#2]
By this point the last 2 years we’d have seen “our” flock of 12-14… hope to see them tromp through our yard soon.

I did see a Tom with a small herd of deer a few miles from my house.
Link Posted: 5/3/2022 7:40:39 AM EDT
[#3]
Just put your gun away and they will be all over the place.
Link Posted: 5/3/2022 11:00:43 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

Truth!
Link Posted: 5/3/2022 11:39:14 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
View Quote

Or the day after the season closes.
Link Posted: 5/4/2022 10:11:23 AM EDT
[#6]
Just saw a coyote moving through the woods. 10:07 am

Link Posted: 5/4/2022 10:36:38 PM EDT
[#7]
I saw a rafter of 6-8 in the middle of a field in the middle of the day today when driving from GR to Lansing. They are all over my neighborhood too. My girls commented last weekend how they liked seeing all of the "poofy" ones.
Link Posted: 5/5/2022 7:17:18 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I saw a rafter of 6-8 in the middle of a field in the middle of the day today when driving from GR to Lansing. They are all over my neighborhood too. My girls commented last weekend how they liked seeing all of the "poofy" ones.
View Quote

Poofy ones...
Link Posted: 5/5/2022 7:41:54 AM EDT
[#9]
This morning four of the hens got into a fight with three of them picking on the forth relentlessly.
Link Posted: 5/5/2022 7:43:06 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Seems like I'm seeing way less wild turkeys this year. Out hunting today and heard a few distant gobbles right after day break and then silence.  Didn't see a turkey last evening or so far yet today.

ETA UPDATE!

My patience paid off.  Got him at 1:15 pm. 31 yard head shot. DRT!  Called him from about 85 yds which was the first time I got eyes on him.
View Quote
Fine looking bird.

They so much smaller when they're not poofy.
Link Posted: 5/5/2022 6:16:48 PM EDT
[#11]
Most I've counted was 60 or so in the back 80 field after the corn was cut.  I cleaned out the raccoons a bit and that helps with nest predation, coyotes get a few, but I get a few coyotes as well.  

I suppose I should go drop one.  Cutting firewood and not looking like I'm hunting seems to bring them around.  

One of those critters that seem to be in short supply in some areas and high density in others I guess.
Link Posted: 5/5/2022 8:22:45 PM EDT
[#12]
Saw a gaggle of them in zeeland doing work at a radio tower

I am sure if i tried to hunt them i would see nothing
Link Posted: 5/5/2022 8:39:58 PM EDT
[#13]
Attachment Attached File

Auburn Hills parking lots.
Link Posted: 5/7/2022 12:20:14 AM EDT
[#14]
A high school friend got one this weekend at a lumber farm down the road from me.  I think he got it with a .357 big bore air rifle.  He can't own a firearm because of stuff he did when he was younger.
Link Posted: 6/2/2022 6:38:40 PM EDT
[#15]
Only saw one turkey. He was a tom, I shot him. Hadn't heard or seen a turkey up until then. Game cams showed them showing up but there wasn't any consistency. Might show up two days in a row, then nothing for a week. Still not seeing them regularly on the cams.
Link Posted: 6/14/2022 7:57:34 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
A high school friend got one this weekend at a lumber farm down the road from me.  I think he got it with a .357 big bore air rifle.  He can't own a firearm because of stuff he did when he was younger.
View Quote
Not that I care,  but pretty sure that's illegal..
Dnr said turkey population is down 40-50%
We filled our tags on day 3 of season.
Personally i think it's due to nest raiders.
Fewer people targeting raccoons and other nest raiders due to gas prices and a bottomed out fur market.
Vermin species poulation is high around here
Link Posted: 7/1/2022 11:42:37 AM EDT
[#17]
Just pulled the cards from some cameras, he came along after the season closed. They're still wandering around occasionally. Had about five turkey and 6 deer on one video, but they weren't posing or fighting.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top