Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/9/2022 4:47:56 PM EDT
About the only place I know of is Marksmanship Training Center near Higgins Lake.  Anyone know of other ranges that stretch out past 100-200yds?

Also been perusing the DNR's website about target shooting on state land.  Can't find anything on the books that says setting up some steel at 300 yds on state land is a no-go.  However, I suspect a DNR officer could give me some grief if they wanted to.

For the record, I typically try to avoid public ranges at all costs.  Practicing rifle/pistol transitions, shooting and moving, controlled pairs, basically all practical training is typically off limits.

I thought about joining Oakland County Sportsman's Club (I'm in the Holly area) to meet likeminded people and shoot centerfire rifles without pissing off the neighbors.  Then I watched their range safety video and the 100yrd range is single shot only, 3 seconds between shots on all ranges.  Probably not the demographic I'm hoping to meet (no offense to the older crowd).

Anyways, anyone got any suggestions?
Link Posted: 4/9/2022 5:36:48 PM EDT
[#1]
I have been pestered multiple times by MDNR on state land in Michigan, mostly Muskegon State Game Area lands. They demand a backstop but will not allow one to be constructed, if you do find one its not good enough. There are bigger natural ones, but harder to find and would require a hike.  The line I seem to get is "This is not a shooting range".  I think if you found a natural berm with steel targets and perhaps a drop cloth to catch frag I don't see how they could really complain.

To be honest with you I stopped shooting on state land and started going to ranges but they seem limited to 100 to 200 yards at best.

Kind of a no win situation.

Link Posted: 4/9/2022 11:13:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Blue Water Sportsman's Club - 600 yards
South Kent Sportsman's Club - 500 meters
Cadillac Sportsman's Club - 600 yards
Washtenaw Sportsman's Club - 600 yards
Michigan Rifle & Pistol Association
Marksmanship Training Center - Lake City, MI - 1000+ yards
Midland County Sportsman's Club at least 600 yards
Muskegon Pistol & Rifle Club (only 300 yards)
Capital City Rifle Club - only 200 yards
Kalamazoo Rod & Gun Club - only 200 yards

The top six or so facilities have 600 to 1000 yards. Camp Grayling used to host 1000 yard tournaments, but I think 9/11 ended that. Fort Custer had 500 yard tournaments until 9/11.

Camp Perry hosts tournaments on the Lake Erie shoreline, 600, 800, 900 and 1000. Indiana has tournaments as well. The U.P. has a couple of 600+ ranges, but I have never shot there.
Link Posted: 4/10/2022 1:01:19 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have been pestered multiple times by MDNR on state land in Michigan, mostly Muskegon State Game Area lands. They demand a backstop but will not allow one to be constructed, if you do find one its not good enough. There are bigger natural ones, but harder to find and would require a hike.  The line I seem to get is "This is not a shooting range".  I think if you found a natural berm with steel targets and perhaps a drop cloth to catch frag I don't see how they could really complain.

To be honest with you I stopped shooting on state land and started going to ranges but they seem limited to 100 to 200 yards at best.

Kind of a no win situation.

View Quote

I've been lucky thus far and never been bothered.  Then again, I haven't ran into DRN while actively shooting, we had already finished and were camping about a mile down the road.  DNR is always on high alert in State Game Area's  in my opinion.
Link Posted: 4/10/2022 1:09:30 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Blue Water Sportsman's Club - 600 yards
South Kent Sportsman's Club - 500 meters
Cadillac Sportsman's Club - 600 yards
Washtenaw Sportsman's Club - 600 yards
Michigan Rifle & Pistol Association
Marksmanship Training Center - Lake City, MI - 1000+ yards
Midland County Sportsman's Club at least 600 yards
Muskegon Pistol & Rifle Club (only 300 yards)
Capital City Rifle Club - only 200 yards
Kalamazoo Rod & Gun Club - only 200 yards

The top six or so facilities have 600 to 1000 yards. Camp Grayling used to host 1000 yard tournaments, but I think 9/11 ended that. Fort Custer had 500 yard tournaments until 9/11.

Camp Perry hosts tournaments on the Lake Erie shoreline, 600, 800, 900 and 1000. Indiana has tournaments as well. The U.P. has a couple of 600+ ranges, but I have never shot there.
View Quote

Wow wasn't expecting that, thanks for sharing!  Any that you prefer or dislike?
Link Posted: 4/10/2022 10:28:41 AM EDT
[#5]
Blue water: Open shooting 100 and 200 yd ranges. 600 yard range events only. I am a member at Blue water.

South Kent. Same as blue water. I have shot there before but it may have changed.

Washtenaw. Area is in subdivision area. Long range shooting is controlled. I live 2 miles from the club.
Link Posted: 4/10/2022 10:53:15 AM EDT
[#6]
You do not have to be a club member to shoot tournaments at any of these clubs. Using their facility outside of an actual tournament usually requires an invitation as a guest of a current club member.

I am a life member of the Michigan Rifle & Pistol Association. Membership in the MR&PA gets you a ten dollar discount on their tournament fees. Contact the NRA to get a copy of High Power Rifle rules and Long Range rules so you know the course of fire and SOP's for range operations. Tell the RO that it's your first tournament, they will lend a helping hand or ask someone else to guide you through the process.

All of these clubs are great, pick the one that's closest to your home and attend a tournament as an observer if you are uncomfortable going to your first match without any experience. You will need match grade ammo, FMJ's simply won't work.

X-ring is 1 moa
10-ring is 2 moa
Most ball ammo is usually 3 moa and gets worse at distance.

A lot of the same faces shoot tournaments at all these venues. You can come close to shooting 200/300/600 yards every weekend if you are willing to travel. Some of the clubs allow competitors to camp onsite for free.

I'm a life member of the Kalamazoo Rod & Gun Club, but they haven't scheduled any high power matches yet this year. I don't know why yet, perhaps nobody is willing to run them or they decided that ammo/components are so tight that nobody will want to shoot there.

South Kent's range faces directly into the sun which sucks. Cadillac faces East, so the sun is in your face in the morning. Blue Water and Washtenaw face north.
Link Posted: 4/11/2022 1:46:43 PM EDT
[#7]
If you're in Southern Michigan then you're probably closer to Young's Long Shot near Angola, Indiana that goes out to 1,000 yards. I think memberships are $200 per year.

I've also heard talk of a 1,000 yard range near somewhere in the Central/Eastern Michigan area. I believe it is private right now and you can only shoot there by taking a class. I think Oakland Tactical was running them... but I could be wrong. I want to say it was near Fowlerville, MI... but again I could be wrong.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top