Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/2/2022 9:31:02 AM EDT
I'm just curious where you guys go down there to shoot 50BMG.  I was talking with a buddy that said he couldnt find anywhere relatively close to home (Novi).
Link Posted: 4/11/2022 10:29:01 AM EDT
[#1]
With all the silence, is it a fair assumption that there's no place to go?

Sure am glad to live up north, lol.
Link Posted: 4/11/2022 12:07:03 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 4/18/2022 11:31:11 AM EDT
[#3]
That is only one of the reasons why I won't buy one. Virtually all of the ranges I am aware of ban the use of .50 BMG on their property. Even if you find a range that allows them, shooting anything less than 600 yards is like driving a Ferrari in mid-town Manhattan.

Link Posted: 4/18/2022 7:26:36 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
That is only one of the reasons why I won't buy one. Virtually all of the ranges I am aware of ban the use of .50 BMG on their property. Even if you find a range that allows them, shooting anything less than 600 yards is like driving a Ferrari in mid-town Manhattan.

View Quote

Overall, I agree, and that's yet another reason I'm happy to live in the north.  I haven't stretched mine past 100 yet, but I got it in February and the snow just melted.
Link Posted: 4/22/2022 8:18:13 PM EDT
[#5]
Indoor or outdoor? My first and only time shooting a 50 was at CQT in Shelby Twp.
Link Posted: 4/24/2022 4:37:21 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Indoor or outdoor? My first and only time shooting a 50 was at CQT in Shelby Twp.
View Quote

He wants outdoors, 100 yards or more.  It's a big ass single shot tartget rifle.

But, LOL. Its funny you say that.  I was just looking at a local indoor range near me, it said "rifles up to 50 cal".  After the way the concussion off of mine felt across my sinuses, when I shotit in the woods, I'm really curious what it's like shooting it indoors.  That's GOTTA be fuggin awesome.  
Link Posted: 4/28/2022 5:40:08 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

He wants outdoors, 100 yards or more.  It's a big ass single shot tartget rifle.

But, LOL. Its funny you say that.  I was just looking at a local indoor range near me, it said "rifles up to 50 cal".  After the way the concussion off of mine felt across my sinuses, when I shotit in the woods, I'm really curious what it's like shooting it indoors.  That's GOTTA be fuggin awesome.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

it was... violent.
Link Posted: 4/29/2022 3:03:13 PM EDT
[#8]
You can shoot a .50 BMG anywhere you want in SE MI...once.

In all seriousness, I was at the Lapeer pit once and a guy was shooting one there. It was impressive
Link Posted: 5/3/2022 7:49:55 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote

I can recommend a place in northern michigan on state land that goes about 250-300 yards-your bullets aren't even stabilized yet at 100....
Link Posted: 5/6/2022 7:43:06 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I can recommend a place in northern michigan on state land that goes about 250-300 yards-your bullets aren't even stabilized yet at 100....
View Quote

300 aint bad on state land.

I have one more round at 100/200, yards and then I'm gonna strecth em this summer.  Still havent decided on a target yet though.
Link Posted: 5/12/2022 11:50:16 PM EDT
[#11]
It is hard to find places in southeast MI that let you shoot them.  My gun club doesn't allow them but that is pretty common.  Even the large ones like Washtenaw County who has a 600 yard range won't allow 50 BMGs.  The only places I know of that let you are Huron Valley Guns, and Top Gun in Taylor.  Top Gun is only 25 yards though so it's super pointless to rip one off in there unless you just want to piss everyone off

I have a place up north near my in-laws cabin on state land where I can shoot about a mile if I wanted to - one of those power line runways.  It is surrounded by forest on both sides and the end of it runs into woods with a river behind it and a bunch of small hills to use as backstops.  I've only ever shot to 500 out there, though, as the row doesn't allow any vehicles on it so you'd have to walk your target down as far as you want to shoot it - 500, 1000, a mile, etc.  Plus beyond 500 I'd be nervous about hitting one of the poles for the powerlines even though it'd be hard.  Don't want an errant bullet to hit one.
Link Posted: 5/18/2022 10:12:04 PM EDT
[#12]
Family Shooters Corral allowed them a few years ago. Might be worth a call. They're in Eaton Rapids. 300yd berm is the longest though.
Link Posted: 5/19/2022 7:41:08 AM EDT
[#13]
I assume you have your rifle sighted at 100 yds ???? You should check out sighting at 100yds then go to 300 yds sighting before you jump to longer ranges. a 50 cal missing the berm can be a real problem. Just my opinion.
Link Posted: 5/19/2022 10:40:02 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I assume you have your rifle sighted at 100 yds ???? You should check out sighting at 100yds then go to 300 yds sighting before you jump to longer ranges. a 50 cal missing the berm can be a real problem. Just my opinion.
View Quote

Me?

My rifle is sighted at 200 now, and as for my berms they're known as ridges around these parts, kinda hard to miss, lol.
Link Posted: 5/21/2022 9:54:01 AM EDT
[#15]
A fellow from my club found a place to shoot his .50 BMG long range somewhere in N. Ohio or Indiana.  Unfortunately, it has been so long since I've talked to him that I don't recall where.  IIRC it was a couple hours south of Ann Arbor.
Link Posted: 6/13/2022 6:43:45 PM EDT
[#16]
I shoot mine at my cabin near big rapids. Only about 200 yards max. Shot indoors at centershot in doors that  was impressive.
Link Posted: 6/21/2022 5:51:23 PM EDT
[#17]
Multi lakes conservation assoc does I believe.  I’m one volunteer away from being an range safety officer and can open the range myself.  let me know when you’d like to go, my fee would be I get to shoot it once
Link Posted: 6/23/2022 9:40:23 PM EDT
[#18]
In SE MI your best chance would be dropping flyers into farmer's mailboxes promising a fee, free labor, cleanup, and shooting any coyotes you see. But still low chance.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top