Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/27/2022 2:59:01 PM EDT
Just got back from the gun show in Jackson, but I’m not sure you can actually still call it a “gun show”.  The number of politicians outnumbered the dealers who were actually selling guns and the other flea market dealers were just as bad.   Even with all the “non” gun show stuff filling every aisle, there still were empty tables AND the to make matters worse, the admission price was up to $8.  

Sorry for the rant!
Link Posted: 3/27/2022 3:58:50 PM EDT
[#1]
I haven't bothered with gun shows in years.  There's much better selection and prices on the interwebz and it doesn't cost admission and parking.  (Just shipping )

Gun shows went to hell around here when the Bill Goodman shows at the light guard armory stopped.  I haven't seen a show that large since then.
Link Posted: 3/28/2022 2:37:27 AM EDT
[#2]
Girlfriend and I were out running errands one Sunday and drove by a VFW that had a sign that said "Old time gun show this weekend". The whole hall was pretty much full of tables with stuff, The beef jerky guy was there, a table with a bunch of cheap pocket knives, looked like he bought a couple buckets of knives from a TSA auction and tables with guns and ammo. Every gun was very used and so over priced, $400 Ruger10/22, a Smith and Wesson AR with a cheap red dot $1100. And Ammo was $30-$50 for an old box of Magtech 9mm, American Eagle 20 round boxes of .223 were $20-$25. P80 frames were $200. Luckily the cost was only $5, I was like what a bunch of trash, seriously over priced trash.
Link Posted: 3/28/2022 3:19:58 PM EDT
[#3]
Gun shows in general never recovered from the Clinton 1994 Assault Weapons and High Capacity Magazines Ban ten year stretch.  By 2004, the internet had gotten enough of a foothold to eventually become the place to go to, even for cheap camo and stringy jerky.

MHO, YMMV, etc.  Be well.
Link Posted: 3/28/2022 9:04:00 PM EDT
[#4]
The giant one at Birch Run used to be worth it, simply because it was so big your chances of finding something interesting were increased.

Are there even any big shows like that now?  Is there one in Novi?
Link Posted: 3/28/2022 9:12:57 PM EDT
[#5]
Novi is about the same.  Just more of it.
Link Posted: 3/31/2022 11:24:54 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The giant one at Birch Run used to be worth it, simply because it was so big your chances of finding something interesting were increased.

View Quote
BR is done, it's a camping world now.  They are having gunshows in Flint now tho.
Link Posted: 4/1/2022 10:43:05 PM EDT
[#7]
Sad times probably echoed All across the ????For us old timers when you could go to a show (Mason) and buy 5k primers for $70… buy bullets bulk and 8lbs of powder …. I had a local cast bullet maker sell me 1k 40cal bullets for $28 in a milk jug.. when my old current supply is used up I can not afford to restock on my pension….. sad times.  Guess my kids can fight over my wares…..

H
Link Posted: 4/2/2022 10:15:02 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 4/2/2022 8:07:45 PM EDT
[#9]
Last show i went to was after sandy hook and everything got stupid
Link Posted: 4/18/2022 1:33:27 PM EDT
[#10]
There are only like 10 true gun sellers in Novi. To me, the rest are trying to move old rusty things they've collected over the years. Takes about 30 minutes to hit those 10 vendors.
Link Posted: 4/19/2022 6:55:55 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote
Birch Run Expo Center is now a Camping World.  There is a gun show that happens in Flint now tho.

I haven't been to a show in years but I hope it is still a good place to get stuff like binary triggers and pistol braces.
Link Posted: 4/29/2022 3:59:36 PM EDT
[#12]
It's been pre-covid since I've been to a show over 250 tables.  Waiting on a NICs check must be frustrating with the current staffing and volume of purchases
Link Posted: 6/2/2022 4:49:30 PM EDT
[#13]
I wonder what keeps them going then.  Are there enough people attending who don't know any better and buy these wares?  Seems like an awful lot of schlepping for the vendors if they're not selling anything.  Not disagreeing with anyone's assessment that the shows are sh*t, just wondering what keeps them afloat?
Link Posted: 6/21/2022 5:54:33 PM EDT
[#14]
Custom AR15, PSA aero build, tapco scope, $2700 without optic $3500 with
Link Posted: 7/24/2022 12:44:28 PM EDT
[#15]
Mason show saw a lot of ammunition with the “gun show tax”applied, for example Blazer Brass 50rd 9mm @ $32.00 a box. There were a couple of vendors that were selling it in the $18-19.00 range though, those were in line with local gun shop prices. Looked at a couple of AR carry handles, no name castings, $40.00 and up, took a hard pass on those too.

Predominant handguns, polymer and black. Blued and walnut, not a lot and at least the ones I saw were pretty “experienced”. A lot of AR’s and a few SKS’s, no vintage U.S. Military that I can remember seeing.

On the amount of vendors, the building was full and most all were firearm related. A few with some non firearm related and a couple of political candidates there also.

All in all, nothing I couldn’t live without.

Thought about going to Novi today but decided it’s probably not worth the gasoline.
Link Posted: 7/24/2022 9:26:37 PM EDT
[#16]
You made the correct choice on the Novi show, about the exact same experience just a different spot. Everything was overpriced, guns, ammo, Chinese piece of shit optics and accessories.

First time I stepped foot into a gun show in over 5 years, it will be at least that long before I go back to one.
Link Posted: 7/25/2022 10:06:52 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I wonder what keeps them going then.  Are there enough people attending who don't know any better and buy these wares?  Seems like an awful lot of schlepping for the vendors if they're not selling anything.  Not disagreeing with anyone's assessment that the shows are sh*t, just wondering what keeps them afloat?
View Quote

The cash only horse trader crowd like shows because they can buy ammo and other items with cash and not bother with the internet or credit card company recording their purchase.

Even though there are several shops with a variety of guns and accessories, it's good to talkj to dealers outside my normal travel range.  Some specialty vendors only go to shows
Link Posted: 9/7/2022 9:28:53 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote

The one in Novi is a good visit when they partner with the antique arms show . It worth a drive
The arms show makes it worth the 5 buck parking And 8 bucks entry
Link Posted: 9/8/2022 12:49:10 AM EDT
[#19]
Indeed, some years ago the Birch Run show could be a bonanza given numbers of legitimate vendors.

Mason, though a smaller show used to attract more firearm oriented dealers. Haven't been to the Mason show in years. Others here likely have, and might provide their impressions of more recent.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top