Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/13/2022 11:24:58 AM EDT
MI law defines a pistol as have an OAL of less than 26"

f) "Pistol" means a loaded or unloaded firearm that is 26 inches or less in length, or a loaded or unloaded firearm that by its construction and appearance conceals itself as a firearm.

There is or was also a section of MI law that defined a rifle as over 30" OAL.  Firearms between 26"-30" were considered "other".  However I cannot find that section any more.  

Has that definition been done away with?

What are you guys doing with a braced gun that has a barrel longer than 11.5"?

NOTE>  An AR w/standard buffer tube and an 11.5" barrel is approx. 26.5" OAL.  According MI law it is not a pistol.

Also relevant.
Link Posted: 1/14/2022 12:59:18 PM EDT
[#1]
I treat my longer SBRs and braced pistols as a rifles when carried (not loaded in the car as an example) if they are over 26" in their shortest form.  I do have some SBR rifles with folding stocks and collapse well below the 26" threshold and they are registered as pistols with the State.  (they are registered with tax stamps so what is another registration)
Link Posted: 1/14/2022 10:44:15 PM EDT
[#2]
I might have been ignorant, but my 2 ARs were configured in that length with forward pistol grips so Federally they would be "firearms". There for under Michigan law not pistols and no need to register.
Link Posted: 1/16/2022 10:04:12 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I might have been ignorant, but my 2 ARs were configured in that length with forward pistol grips so Federally they would be "firearms". There for under Michigan law not pistols and no need to register.
View Quote
I'm curious about what you did.

I cannot find anything in MI law now about "other".  I spoke to a buddy and he thinks they did away with that portion of the law.

Link Posted: 1/16/2022 9:53:17 PM EDT
[#4]
I started looking into "firearms" (i.e. not rifles, pistols, shotguns, AOWs, SBRs, or SBSs) after I bought my Mossberg Shockwave. Finding that existence of a firearm that doesn't meet the Rifle, Shotgun, AOW, SBR, or SBS was interesting to me.
So under Federal law there is no overall length or barrel length defining what is a handgun. A hand gun can not nor never had a butt stock. (Please note this is not exact wordage or quoting). Length does comes into play when determining an AOW. Adding a forward pistol grip to a pistol does one of two things under Federal law. If it's under 26" in overall length then it's considered an AOW. If it's over 26" inches then it falls into the "Firearm" category. Not a pistol under Federal law anymore.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top