Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/24/2021 5:03:31 AM EDT
Hello all,

Someone at work just built himself a nice AR pistol, and explained to me the registration process he had to go through. He had to write "self-built" in certain boxes, according to Oakland County Sheriff's.

In my understanding, he cannot be both the purchaser and the seller, correct? So did he actually need to fill out a RI060?

Im just trying to understand the process of it all, as I am thinking of building an ar9 in the near future.

Thanks for the help!

John

Link Posted: 3/24/2021 10:06:12 PM EDT
[#1]
First be a CPL holder...not sure a requirement but would not hurt you upon possessing a new pistol.

YES you must do the 060 form. That registers that lower to you as a pistol.  

On that 060 form (and go to MSP web site to make sure you are using the latest one) you absolutely are The Seller And The Purchaser .... using a new untouched lower transfered to someone from ffl as Other   Be it you purchased it from ffl or from someone there after.

Measure length correctly .... ask for experienced help if not sure it’s Important!!    Keep a copy and get another copy off to appropriate law enforcement office for your location be it city or county level. Done and enjoy.  

Atleast until our government cans brace ownership

H
Link Posted: 3/25/2021 8:23:39 AM EDT
[#2]
That's the same info I got off MGO's Legal Beagle forum about 6 years ago.

That isn't the opinion they hold now.
Link Posted: 3/26/2021 1:27:29 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
That's the same info I got off MGO's Legal Beagle forum about 6 years ago.

That isn't the opinion they hold now.
View Quote

Ok what do they think now?
Link Posted: 3/26/2021 2:46:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Ok what do they think now?
View Quote

You can't be the buyer and seller, it's a felony. and only a $250 fine for not registering

Like I said , they change their minds, and I'm perma - banned from there.
Link Posted: 3/26/2021 8:41:57 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

You can't be the buyer and seller, it's a felony. and only a $250 fine for not registering

View Quote

Well I can not speak for AR pistol registration today .... so I can not say you are wrong but ......in October 2017 I registered one with the Direct help of my ffl who sold me a new stripped lower sold As Other on form and Directly told me to list Myself As Purchaser AND Seller on RI060.  

You ARE Not a Manufacturer in doing this. You are defining a pistol and registering it as such

You list the lowers manufacturer like Anderson or Aero and Model like AM15.  My local PD reviewed form before I left and gave me the All OK

You sure as hell don’t list the ffl as seller as he/she is Done with it at the time of sale and you walk away with lower in hand.  

Please educate us in the rules of the game today and point out my errors.  Be great ...thank you.  

H
Link Posted: 3/26/2021 11:26:29 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote

Strictly speaking they may be right but the threat of a $250 fine reeks of a entrapment case if someone was actually charged with a felony over that.
Link Posted: 3/26/2021 11:45:36 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Strictly speaking they may be right but the threat of a $250 fine reeks of a entrapment case if someone was actually charged with a felony over that.
View Quote

It's a either or
Link Posted: 3/27/2021 1:32:19 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

It's a either or
View Quote

Please someone here in MI chime in with knowledge of registration of AR pistols.    !!!!  Clear this up ... correct the wrongs!!

H
Link Posted: 3/27/2021 9:39:14 PM EDT
[#9]
Not filling out the RI-60 when purchasing a pistol, without an out of state CPL , is a Civil Infraction, not a felony.  It says so right on the form.

Filling out the form when creating a pistol is difficult, as the form is for a "purchase".  As far as I am aware, there is no case law either way stating to fill out or not fill out the form when creating a pistol.

Now, should you use the form to do something it isn't meant to do?  Up to you to decide that.
Link Posted: 3/28/2021 8:21:23 AM EDT
[#10]
I have been putting my name down as both seller and purchaser for many years and never had a issue! Maybe that  has changed now, I will check into it on my next pistol build!
Link Posted: 3/28/2021 11:15:25 AM EDT
[#11]
Thank You Micron !??

H
Link Posted: 4/4/2021 12:13:40 AM EDT
[#12]
Get your out of state cpl and just ignore the paperwork in the future.
Link Posted: 4/4/2021 8:07:48 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I have been putting my name down as both seller and purchaser for many years and never had a issue! Maybe that  has changed now, I will check into it on my next pistol build!
View Quote

As have I
Link Posted: 4/10/2021 9:19:20 PM EDT
[#14]
Please master, help me make sure my little yellow star is properly affixed and my papers are in order.

Link Posted: 4/28/2021 8:17:46 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Get your out of state cpl and just ignore the paperwork in the future.
View Quote

This is what I did...New Hampshire was easy and I got it in the mail in less than 2 weeks.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top