Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/2/2021 6:49:50 PM EDT
Do we have any MI cops or traffic lawyers that could answer this?

What is the accepted speed limit on an on-ramp to a highway?  The main road has a speed limit of 45mph.  I was doing 45, set to cruise control.  There was a cop, in front of me, in the middle lane.  I signal right and switch over to the on-ramp.  At this point, I would consider it "entering the highway".  Apparently, I was doing over 60 on the ramp.  The cop was still continuing down the main road.  Out of nowhere, he drives across the grass median over to the ramp.  He pulls me over.  He ended up giving me a warning.  I do think that the cop was out of line, but I don't really care.  

My question is: where does the highway begin?  What is the speed limit on the entrance ramp?
Link Posted: 3/3/2021 1:02:44 PM EDT
[#1]
What are you suppose to do, drive 25 miles an hour then gun it.
So far I have not found anything.
Link Posted: 3/3/2021 1:16:29 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Do we have any MI cops or traffic lawyers that could answer this?

What is the accepted speed limit on an on-ramp to a highway?  The main road has a speed limit of 45mph.  I was doing 45, set to cruise control.  There was a cop, in front of me, in the middle lane.  I signal right and switch over to the on-ramp.  At this point, I would consider it "entering the highway".  Apparently, I was doing over 60 on the ramp.  The cop was still continuing down the main road.  Out of nowhere, he drives across the grass median over to the ramp.  He pulls me over.  He ended up giving me a warning.  I do think that the cop was out of line, but I don't really care.  

My question is: where does the highway begin?  What is the speed limit on the entrance ramp?
View Quote

I'm not sure about FL 'rules', but I'm from OH and learned to drive there (which means I can actually do that) and in OH the rule was to enter at Hwy speed, and the established traffic has THE RIGHT OF WAY, in MI it's the opposite, as the on ramp traffic has ROW  and yes I'm stuck behind dumb fucks going 45-50 entering the Hwy all the time, so it wouldn't surprise me that there is a 'speed limit' on the on ramp
Link Posted: 3/3/2021 2:49:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I'm not sure about FL 'rules', but I'm from OH and learned to drive there (which means I can actually do that) and in OH the rule was to enter at Hwy speed, and the established traffic has THE RIGHT OF WAY, in MI it's the opposite, as the on ramp traffic has ROW  and yes I'm stuck behind dumb fucks going 45-50 entering the Hwy all the time, so it wouldn't surprise me that there is a 'speed limit' on the on ramp
View Quote

I know that it shows FL in my profile, but I was born and raised in MI.  I lived in FL for a few years for work.  That is also when I made this arfcom acct.  I just never changed it.  I live back in MI now.  I actually run a company in OH and travel there about every other week.  I don't really understand why FL drivers get such a bad reputation.  The locals are calm and decent drivers.  It was always the tourists and tourist areas that sucked.

I always give the right-of-way to the highway traffic, regardless of which state I am in.

I was also thinking about this a bit last night.  If the cop really thought that he was justified, then I would have been doing 60+ in a 45.  That would be a definite ticket.
Link Posted: 3/3/2021 7:46:51 PM EDT
[#4]
I'll slow down at the entrance to the on ramp and wait for there to be no traffic. Then I'll gun it and try to get to 70 as soon as possible. I assumed I was safe doing that.
Link Posted: 3/3/2021 11:09:19 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 3/4/2021 11:59:48 AM EDT
[#6]
I was taught in drivers ed (40 some odd years ago) that the on ramp was also called the acceleration ramp.  It was used to get up to highway speed before merging onto the highway.  

I have no idea if that's changed but that's how I do it.  Most of the time I will be at 70 mph before I merge into traffic if possible.
Link Posted: 3/6/2021 9:39:59 PM EDT
[#7]
According to MSP that officer is wrong.

This is the email they replied back to.

What is the speed limit of an on ramp/acceleration ramp of a freeway?

Thank you for the question.  The Michigan State Police (MSP) cannot provide legal advice or offer an advisory opinion as to whether a particular activity is legal or illegal as a matter of law.  Such determinations would necessarily depend on the specific facts and circumstances, and any enforcement action or charging decision is left to the discretion of local police and prosecuting officials and ultimately the courts to decide.  If you need specific legal guidance, you should seek assistance from private legal counsel.

Nevertheless, MCL 257.26 defines a “Limited access highway” as “every highway, street, or roadway in respect to which owners or occupants of abutting lands and other persons have no legal right of access to or from the same except at such points only, and in such manner as may be determined by the public authority having jurisdiction over such highway, street or roadway.”

Limited access highway points, or “ramps” are designed so motorists can accelerate as quickly as possible to the posted limited access highway speed limit and safely merge into traffic.  Unless a white/black speed limit sign is posted on the ramp itself showing a lesser speed limit, then the motorist may accelerate to the freeway posted speed limit.

I hope this information was helpful.

Michigan State Police

Legal Resources and Education Unit

P. O. Box 30634

Lansing, MI 48909

1-855-677-5345

"A PROUD tradition of SERVICE through EXCELLENCE, INTEGRITY, and COURTESY"
Link Posted: 3/7/2021 2:44:44 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'll slow down at the entrance to the on ramp and wait for there to be no traffic. Then I'll gun it and try to get to 70 as soon as possible. I assumed I was safe doing that.
View Quote

I have never done that once in over 45 years of driving. You are suppose to merge into traffic. If you aren't traveling close to the same speed as the Interstate traffic you create a safety hazard that requires others to brake or switch lanes.

Entrance/Exit ramps usually have a posted speed limit which I try to honor until I get to the point where you are actually making a running start at the highway. Some entrance/exit ramps are posted with very low speeds, 5 or 10 over that speed is "reasonable", getting up to 60 or 70 while still in the turning radius is not.
Link Posted: 3/10/2021 6:51:46 PM EDT
[#9]
No good input on the original question, but I'll mention it's a cool move, if you're in the right lane and ramp traffic is entering freeway and there's no traffic, get to the left and give those folks some space.
Link Posted: 3/18/2021 9:44:56 PM EDT
[#10]
I have always practiced that if it's a straight shot down the ramp onto the freeway then I accelerate up to highway speeds so I'm equal to the freeway traffic by the time I'm there.

However if it's one of those 270 degree circles, I generally drive pretty slow and don't begin the acceleration until I'm pretty much near the straight away parallel to the freeway.
Link Posted: 3/21/2021 8:24:36 AM EDT
[#11]
The freeway begins once you pass the limited access vehicle sign - the one staying no farm implements, motorcycles under 125cc etc....

From that point on it is an acceleration ramp and the speed limit is the posted limit of the sign at the end of the ramp.

Whoever pulled you over was wrong and likely fishing for something...

Link Posted: 3/21/2021 10:36:00 PM EDT
[#12]
My driving instructor told me the on ramp is the time to gun it.  You need to be up to speed with those traveling on the highway, so the on ramp is where you accelerate to 70 mph or so.  Cop was having a bad day.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top