Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/24/2021 6:03:10 PM EDT
I'm in desperate need of some direction for some home repairs/upgrades that I'd like to get done. I'm usually a give it a go myself kind of guy, but at the moment I'm wrapping up residency with a preggers wife, so time is quite limited. I need some advise for brands and/or companies to work with in metro Detroit

1. I need to get at minimum 5-10 custom sized windows replaced in my house, perhaps more depending total project cost. From what research I have done, vinyl is less desirable and may be a detractor for future home value in my neighborhood. Is fiberglass the way to go? In our area, are Pella/Anderson the only decent options? I have found a few local manufacturers, but they all seem to be vinyl. Any recs for manufacturers, brands, contractors that won't rape me would be very much appreciated.

2. I need a small membrane type flat roof redone. Just a balcony off a bedroom. Another project I really wouldn't mind tackling, but job and pending baby are forcing my hand on time. Any contractors who'll do a small flat roof for a reasonable charge rate? I know some of the bigger guys may view this as a waste of their time and overprice their bid... anyone with experience dealing with roofers in metro Detroit?

3. Anyone with recs on reasonably priced floor guys? My brother had his floors done by "honest Abes" I think was their name. The quality of work was awesome and the price was quite reasonable, unfortunately this guy seems to have closed up shop. Probably 2 full size bedrooms and a good length of hallway, likely 600-800 sq feet. Not a huge job.

4. Plaster... I know I'm gonna get screwed on this one. Anyone who does decent work?

Most of my jobs are not HUGE jobs, in fact most would likely be good options for a guy picking up side work, who works for a bigger company. Any recommendations for honest/decent general contractors or companies would be much appreciated. Thanks arfom, you haven't steered me wrong yet...
Link Posted: 2/28/2021 10:00:50 AM EDT
[#1]
What county?  My family flips and builds homes.  We may know a couple guys for the kind of work you are looking for.  Depending on location, I could just message you their names and numbers.

EDIT: I should also ask, what kind of flooring?  carpet? hardwood?  I know both.  The carpet guy just died, but his kids took over.  The kids just finished two bedrooms for us.  Great work and awesome price.

The hardwood guy does a fantastic job, but is pricey.
Link Posted: 3/2/2021 10:01:10 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
What county?  My family flips and builds homes.  We may know a couple guys for the kind of work you are looking for.  Depending on location, I could just message you their names and numbers.

EDIT: I should also ask, what kind of flooring?  carpet? hardwood?  I know both.  The carpet guy just died, but his kids took over.  The kids just finished two bedrooms for us.  Great work and awesome price.

The hardwood guy does a fantastic job, but is pricey.
View Quote

@Mike1986

Wayne County, Grosse Pointe community. I'd ideally like hardwood, but if cost is outrageous, carpet would do.... I appreciate the reply, thanks.
Link Posted: 3/2/2021 6:31:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

@Mike1986

Wayne County, Grosse Pointe community. I'd ideally like hardwood, but if cost is outrageous, carpet would do.... I appreciate the reply, thanks.
View Quote

Let me dig up some names and numbers and get back.  I will probably just message it to you.

We are up in the lower thumb, but my roofing guy works around 10/Gratiot.  I know that he has done work in GP.  He had a niche market down there for real slate shingles and copper trim.  Apparently, that is popular over there.  He put full metal roofs on all of my buildings.

It would probably too far for my floor guys, but I will ask.

I also know some drywall contractors that used to do projects down that way.  I'll ask if they know a guy who specializes in plaster.
Link Posted: 3/4/2021 12:56:47 PM EDT
[#4]
We replaced all our windows and slider with Majic windows. They are wood core with either a vinyl outer shell or fiberglass.

They are well made and after 6 years for the oldest, a bay window, no problems.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top