Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/5/2021 1:32:58 PM EDT
New Washtenaw County prosecutor: No cash bail to get out of jail
https://www.detroitnews.com/story/news/local/michigan/2021/01/04/ann-arbor-prosecutor-cash-bail-jail/115256196/

Ann Arbor  A new prosecutor in the Ann Arbor area has told his staff to not seek cash bail for people accused of crimes.
Eli Savit said assistant prosecutors in Washtenaw County can ask a judge to impose certain conditions on defendants after an arrest but posting cash to get out of jail won't be one of them.

"The size of a person's bank account should never determine their freedom," Savit said Monday.
"Under a cash bail system, poorer people  even those who are accused of relatively minor crimes  are forced to sit in jail for days, weeks or years," he said. "At the same time, cash bail allows wealthier people who are accused of serious crimes to go free pending trial."

Savit said his office still will seek pretrial detention in major crimes, especially if someone poses an imminent threat to the community.
Judges determine conditions for pretrial release, but a prosecutor's position is an important part of the decision, Savit said.

Savit also announced changes in "zero tolerance policies," allowing more discretion for prosecutors and judges to pursue charges and to deliver sentences.

Welcome to your new higher crime rate Washtenaw!
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 4:03:36 PM EDT
[#1]
I hope they get "woke" in the middle of the night by one of the perps they set free.

What they fail to understand is nobody is so poor they can't get relatives to help them out, unless of course the relatives are fed up with their perpetual run-ins with the law. Once somebody makes a habit of landing in jail the relatives figure out that's where they belong.

It only takes one bail out experience whereby the person you tried to help refuses to pay you back or worse, fails to appear in court as promised. Criminals almost universally dig their own graves.
Link Posted: 1/5/2021 11:12:51 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Thanks.  I was wondering if Soros was involved.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 10:45:02 AM EDT
[#4]
This prosecutor just legalized prostitution too.

I bet hard drugs are going to be next.

Ann Arbor is going to be a real party town.
Link Posted: 1/25/2021 12:29:43 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
This prosecutor just legalized prostitution too.

I bet hard drugs are going to be next.

Ann Arbor is going to be a real party town.
View Quote

Prostitution should be legal anyways. I'm sure the government can come up with some money making licensing scheme for it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top