Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/25/2020 12:14:05 PM EDT
I just got off the phone with State Farm, where I have insured my vehicles and home for five years.  I have not had an accident, or even a single ticket for 22 years.  My insurance for my 2017 Chevy 1500 4x4 Silverado just went up again to $2800 per year.  That is ridiculous.  I told the woman I will pay today but tell the guy that owns the State Farm business in New Buffalo that I am shopping for new insurance.  She then tells me if I insure my truck somewhere else that they will raise the price on my house insurance because I get a "deal" on a bundle.  

If anyone has any advice please let me know, $2800 per year is criminal in my opinion.
Link Posted: 11/25/2020 12:21:58 PM EDT
[#1]
Switch, I dropped them because they kept raising my rates with no explanation.  Got tired of the games and said I'm done.

They also fucked over my dad royally with my mom's life insurance when she died (basically denied the claim for bullshit reasons).
Link Posted: 11/25/2020 12:23:57 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Switch, I dropped them because they kept raising my rates with no explanation.  Got tired of the games and said I'm done.

They also fucked over my dad royally with my mom's life insurance when she died (basically denied the claim for bullshit reasons).
View Quote

Who did you go with then?
Link Posted: 11/25/2020 3:49:58 PM EDT
[#3]
Pays to shop around every couple years.
Link Posted: 11/25/2020 7:12:50 PM EDT
[#4]
Just do what some of my piece of shit coworkers do and don't have any, problem "solved"
Link Posted: 11/26/2020 9:34:42 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Who did you go with then?
View Quote

Part of the educational community, so I went with Meemic.
Link Posted: 11/26/2020 9:41:40 AM EDT
[#6]
I have my producer license, so I can give insurance reviews as part of my practice. My wife sells State Farm.

The multiple line discount is a real thing and effects your rates a lot.

There a lot of factors in setting your rates, auto and home. Do you have value or replacement on the house? What is your geo location, home and car? Credit score? Age? Teen/20s drivers in the household? Did you coordinate or waive medical? DUI/at fault accidents/tickets? There is also a loss experience on the type of vehicle (exact type using the VIN, not just a 2017 chevy, but that exact package). Do you have comp coverage? What are your deductibles? Did you buy broad? What limits are you running with? How far do you drive? Did you lie to the company how far you drive (they purchase your mileage from the oil change places so they know how far you really drive). Did you do the safe driving tracker (the little gizmo that tracks your driving style)? If you have teens/early 20s kids, did you submit their A/B grades for the good kids discount?

Look at all that, pick what coverage levels you really want, and shop that easily with all the insurers, once you assemble it all.

We do, and this year AAA even beat out USAA for us.
Link Posted: 11/26/2020 10:33:23 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Part of the educational community, so I went with Meemic.
View Quote

We also have home and auto through Meemic.
Link Posted: 11/26/2020 11:06:14 AM EDT
[#8]
Jsmithson677, what was that about insurance companies buying information from oil change places? I've never heard of that, but my agent most likely would not tell me that, please tell me more, because if that's true, I'm actually not surprised they do this.
Link Posted: 11/26/2020 11:26:01 AM EDT
[#9]
Just like your grocery discount card and your amazon purchases, auto repair shops, dealers, and oil change places sell your information.

Your insurer knows you said you drive 5 miles a day for work and some pleasure, so 100 miles a week. They also know from quick lube you really drive 18 thousand miles a year.
Link Posted: 11/26/2020 11:32:10 AM EDT
[#10]
I change my vehicles' oil myself, as do a number of people I know.  Too many horror stories of what happens at some of the oil change places.  How does an insurance company deal with someone like us?  Assume that we're running our vehicles into the ground, so we must be a bad risk?  Or assume that we're fastidious owners who are a good risk?
Link Posted: 11/26/2020 11:42:41 AM EDT
[#11]
Remember when you got you muffler or tires replaced? They know.

Now, if you accept the safe driver tracker, they know while you do it.
Link Posted: 11/26/2020 5:56:23 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Your insurer knows you said you drive 5 miles a day for work and some pleasure, so 100 miles a week. They also know from quick lube you really drive 18 thousand miles a year.
View Quote

That information is feed through a Dominion programed machine, and the mileage goes up to 27 thousand miles a year at 4:30 in the morning
Link Posted: 11/29/2020 3:22:37 PM EDT
[#13]
We're paying $2000/yr for 3 vehicles, a truck, SUV and compact car with Liberty Mutual, and have had multiple recent collisions with deer paid through insurance.
Link Posted: 11/29/2020 10:38:34 PM EDT
[#14]
Find an independent agent. Auto Owners is HQd in Lansing.
Link Posted: 12/1/2020 3:23:11 PM EDT
[#15]
@sbye maybe you can help?
Link Posted: 12/1/2020 11:58:52 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Thanks @drewptwo.Funny, I never got a notification for this but just stumbled across this thread.

Quoted:
I just got off the phone with State Farm, where I have insured my vehicles and home for five years.  I have not had an accident, or even a single ticket for 22 years.  My insurance for my 2017 Chevy 1500 4x4 Silverado just went up again to $2800 per year.  That is ridiculous.  I told the woman I will pay today but tell the guy that owns the State Farm business in New Buffalo that I am shopping for new insurance.  She then tells me if I insure my truck somewhere else that they will raise the price on my house insurance because I get a "deal" on a bundle.  

If anyone has any advice please let me know, $2800 per year is criminal in my opinion.

@jagdkommando I am a licensed independent agent. I highly recommend finding an independent agent who can shop your rates with multiple carriers. No matter which carrier you are with it is common that rates will slowly increase over the years, so it's nice to have that independent agent who has multiple carriers they can shop you with when that happens.

Your State Farm agent is right. Pretty much every carrier gives a multi-policy discount for having more then one policy with them. So when you move your auito your home will lose the auto multi-policy discount, which is usually pretty substantial. I'd expect your home to increase a few hundred. $2,800 does seem pretty crazy for one vehicle paired with a home, but there are many factors that go into it.

I can take a look at it if you'd like. Or if you have an agency near you in mind I can be a second set of eyes and look over your policy to make sure it looks good.
Link Posted: 12/2/2020 12:00:18 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Jsmithson677, what was that about insurance companies buying information from oil change places? I've never heard of that, but my agent most likely would not tell me that, please tell me more, because if that's true, I'm actually not surprised they do this.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

@jsmithson677 Not true. I used to work on the carrier side.

Quoted:
I change my vehicles' oil myself, as do a number of people I know.  Too many horror stories of what happens at some of the oil change places.  How does an insurance company deal with someone like us?  Assume that we're running our vehicles into the ground, so we must be a bad risk?  Or assume that we're fastidious owners who are a good risk?

Insurance companies don't know or care about your oil changes
Link Posted: 12/8/2020 8:48:12 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote

Wow. I just worked my Farm Bureau agent over when I got my bill for 2021 coverage on a 2019 4x4 Silverado for $1044. Had excess coverage in a few areas above what the lease calls for.

There is a discount there for 2 car policy and bundled homeowners. They're awesome on paying claims, and the homeowners is the best price I've found as well.
Link Posted: 12/9/2020 12:58:45 PM EDT
[#19]
I have my truck and house through an independent agent and AAA.

The 2016 Silverado Crew Cab Z71 with higher than normal coverage limits (prior to insurance "reform" - I haven't changed anything yet) is $1800 a year. I also had an accident that was not my fault - side swiped while I was stopped at a red light.
Link Posted: 12/10/2020 5:05:54 PM EDT
[#20]
I just received my State Farm renewal notice. It's ~$750/6 months for 2 trucks.

My wife and I will both be 30 prior to the renewal period. We live in the Warren area.

We have a 2019 F-150 Lariat 4x4 ($525/6 months) and a 2013 GMC Sierra SLT 4x4 ($225/6 months).

Coverage is $250k/$500k/$100k liability, $500 Comp, $500 Broadform, PIP, Unlimited medical, $250k/$500k under/uninsured.

We both have the Drive Safe and Save device in our trucks. My wife was driving ~35k miles/year and I was driving ~10k miles/year prior to the pandemic. Now, we're closer to ~15k/year and ~3k/year.

We also have home insurance for the bundle discount.
Link Posted: 12/15/2020 7:55:06 PM EDT
[#21]
I just moved back to Michigan after being in Wisconsin for the last 12 years. Not looking forward to having our insurance double, at BEST
Link Posted: 12/15/2020 10:33:51 PM EDT
[#22]
Had SF for Years.... switched to Auto Owners and Saved Significantly And.... got WAY more coverage.  Switch house and motorcycle as well.  

H
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top