Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/11/2020 3:22:19 PM EDT
If u buy a stripped lower do u have to decide at LGS if it will be a pistol or rifle.... or wait until it is built?
Link Posted: 10/11/2020 3:41:01 PM EDT
[#1]
It'll be listed as a RECIEVER.
Link Posted: 10/11/2020 4:25:51 PM EDT
[#2]
But no pistol forms filed out... or do that after its built?
Link Posted: 10/11/2020 5:17:23 PM EDT
[#3]
No pistol form needs to be filled out till you build it. As long as it's a reciever it is neither a pistol or rifle. It's like being asexual.
Link Posted: 10/12/2020 1:53:03 PM EDT
[#4]
You are going to get different answers depending on who you ask.  

The prevailing sentiment among the FFL's I have dealt with is if you buy a stripped lower you can build it into a pistol and never register it in the state of MI.  The RI-60 is a transfer and since the pistol never existed you cannot transfer it and if you tried you would be filing a false RI-60.  If the 'pistol' is built by an OEM and sold through an FFL it will be listed as a pistol and you would have to file the RI-60.

Again, some people are going to argue that you should file the paperwork and there really isn't anyone to confirm either way.
Link Posted: 10/13/2020 6:40:37 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You are going to get different answers depending on who you ask.  

The prevailing sentiment among the FFL's I have dealt with is if you buy a stripped lower you can build it into a pistol and never register it in the state of MI.  The RI-60 is a transfer and since the pistol never existed you cannot transfer it and if you tried you would be filing a false RI-60.  If the 'pistol' is built by an OEM and sold through an FFL it will be listed as a pistol and you would have to file the RI-60.

Again, some people are going to argue that you should file the paperwork and there really isn't anyone to confirm either way.
View Quote

Wow, This is new to me!   If Im understanding this correctly!?  
 Are you saying if I was to build a AR pistol under 26" that im going to carry like a handgun that I dont need to fill out a RI-60 and register it in my city?
Link Posted: 10/13/2020 7:50:00 AM EDT
[#6]
You are adding carry and city ordinances to the question which may change something somewhere....

If you do not send in your RI-60 on a pistol which is the registration within 10 days of purchase you are guilty of a misdemeanor.  If you build a pistol from the stripped lower you do not have a legal way to register it without submitting a fraudulent RI-60 because there is no transfer.  So building, owning, shooting the AR pistol is good to go.

Does a pistol need to be registered to carry it concealed with a CPL?  No idea here and I really don't know who you would ask.  The MSP website is not very helpful and I doubt most police have really dug into the nuance our CPL laws.
Link Posted: 10/13/2020 1:38:29 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
You are adding carry and city ordinances to the question which may change something somewhere....

If you do not send in your RI-60 on a pistol which is the registration within 10 days of purchase you are guilty of a misdemeanor.  If you build a pistol from the stripped lower you do not have a legal way to register it without submitting a fraudulent RI-60 because there is no transfer.  So building, owning, shooting the AR pistol is good to go.

Does a pistol need to be registered to carry it concealed with a CPL?  No idea here and I really don't know who you would ask.  The MSP website is not very helpful and I doubt most police have really dug into the nuance our CPL laws.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Failing to register is not a misdemeanor. It is only a civil infraction and no more than $250 fine. I'm not sure if it carries any effects on your CPL and ability to carry.

(5) If an individual purchases or otherwise acquires a pistol, the seller shall fill out the license forms describing the pistol, together with the date of sale or acquisition, and sign his or her name in ink indicating that the pistol was sold to or otherwise acquired by the purchaser. The purchaser shall also sign his or her name in ink indicating the purchase or other acquisition of the pistol from the seller. The seller may retain a copy of the license as a record of the transaction. The purchaser shall receive 2 copies of the license. The purchaser shall return 1 copy of the license to the licensing authority within 10 days after the date the pistol is purchased or acquired. The return of the copy to the licensing authority may be made in person or may be made by first-class mail or certified mail sent within the 10-day period to the proper address of the licensing authority. A purchaser who fails to comply with the requirements of this subsection is responsible for a state civil infraction and may be fined not more than $250.00. If a purchaser is found responsible for a state civil infraction under this subsection, the court shall notify the department of state police of that determination.
Link Posted: 10/13/2020 6:51:04 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Failing to register is not a misdemeanor. It is only a civil infraction and no more than $250 fine. I'm not sure if it carries any effects on your CPL and ability to carry.

View Quote

My bad!
Link Posted: 10/20/2020 9:10:51 PM EDT
[#9]
Fill out the RI-60 and list yourself as the buyer and seller. This is pretty common.

If you fail to register the pistol you may be found guilty of a civil infraction.

Link Posted: 11/9/2020 5:23:48 PM EDT
[#10]
Wrong topic, sorry about that.
Link Posted: 11/12/2020 7:24:23 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
If u buy a stripped lower do u have to decide at LGS if it will be a pistol or rifle.... or wait until it is built?
View Quote

I always buy out of state, and have shipped to my LGS.
I have the FFL do a pistol transfer, and drop off the reg at my county sheriff.

I do this even if it's just to store, based on the assumption that it probably will be a pistol, and pistol to rifle requires no paperwork if I decide to build a rifle. If I want to build an SBR, that would require the NFA paperwork from either configuration.
Link Posted: 12/16/2020 5:10:19 PM EDT
[#12]
You have to register pistols here in Michigan. I knew it was going to be a pistol when I got the receiver and registered it within 10 days. Since then it became an sbr, still a pistol here in Michigan.
Link Posted: 12/17/2020 9:39:58 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

I do this even if it's just to store, based on the assumption that it probably will be a pistol, and pistol to rifle requires no paperwork if I decide to build a rifle. If I want to build an SBR, that would require the NFA paperwork from either configuration.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hate to break it to you, but that's not correct. The FFL is required to transfer a virgin stripped lower as "Other" on the 4473.
Link Posted: 12/18/2020 5:59:10 PM EDT
[#14]
So what can I do at this point.. these are 6-7 year old from second hand purchase (ftf) ......

Buy new for a pistol build or build these out?
Link Posted: 12/18/2020 10:15:32 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
So what can I do at this point.. these are 6-7 year old from second hand purchase (ftf) ......

Buy new for a pistol build or build these out?
View Quote

Build them into whatever you want.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top