Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/31/2015 9:40:19 PM EDT
Fishing Sunday my bait kept getting stolen.  Lost about 8 worms and a dozen shrimp pieces.  Convinced that gobies where stealing the bait, I got some size 8 hooks, and got back to fishing after work today.  One hour later I had caught and killed four of the bastards.  Caught two at once.  Tried fishing using them as bait no luck.

Any one else having problems with these bait thieves?  Any tips on preventing them from cleaning off hooks?
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 8:52:21 PM EDT
[#1]
Where were you fishing? Ive battled them around piers. Usually its when the bait is near the bottom.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 9:40:25 PM EDT
[#2]
I hate those things.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 9:39:38 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Where were you fishing? Ive battled them around piers. Usually its when the bait is near the bottom.
View Quote

I was fishing below port huron on the st Clair river from the shore.  I refined my casting a bit and about doubled my distance from the shore.  Caught a ten inch gobie, and a perch.  Lost a lot less bait.  The gobies must be really thick in shallow water.
Link Posted: 9/2/2015 11:33:28 PM EDT
[#4]
A 10 inch goby has got to be master angler class.  Lost a lot of bait to them drowning worms in Saginaw bay for perch near the bottom in water depths from 6-12 feet.  Don't really bother trying to catch perch in that depth range any more because of the gobies.
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 7:55:41 AM EDT
[#5]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top