Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/23/2015 2:11:27 PM EDT
May have an opportunity that would require a move to Novi. Property prices seem pretty reasonable in the vicinity, but for the rest of the story, I ask those of you familiar with the area: Where  would be better in terms of being left alone by the local authorities in terms of restrictions, zoning, etc.? Can a guy with a few acres have a pistol range, shoot a deer, raise chickens/goats?
Link Posted: 6/23/2015 3:17:28 PM EDT
[#1]
I know novi is a nice area as I am over there at least monthly. However I have no direct knowledge of the items you are asking for. Houses seem to be packed in for the most part but its not often I'm back in the neighborhoods.
Link Posted: 6/23/2015 7:49:49 PM EDT
[#2]
No shooting or hunting allowed in Novi.  Not sure about chicken/goats.  I doubt it.  I know hipsters that have chickens and goats in Detroit but it would be a 30 minute drive to Novi.  Property prices are rising fast in Novi.
Link Posted: 6/23/2015 10:41:44 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm thinking 30 minutes north-ish would be a better option. No desire to get any closer to Detroit, or Pontiac for that matter.
Link Posted: 6/23/2015 10:55:01 PM EDT
[#4]
Novi is the new hot area. A lot of porfessional athletes live there as do a number of top Big 3 execs. If I recall Novi has the greatest number of newly built million dollar homes. It not really for the outdoorsman.
Link Posted: 6/24/2015 2:06:42 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
May have an opportunity that would require a move to Novi. Property prices seem pretty reasonable in the vicinity, but for the rest of the story, I ask those of you familiar with the area: Where  would be better in terms of being left alone by the local authorities in terms of restrictions, zoning, etc.? Can a guy with a few acres have a pistol range, shoot a deer, raise chickens/goats?
View Quote

Yeah you are barking up the wrong tree with that list. You need to be quite a bit west, north, or NW to do what you are looking for. Is the job actually in Novi? What kind of commute would be okay with you and at what time of day?
Link Posted: 6/24/2015 8:25:12 AM EDT
[#6]
Ummm... Think Brighton... or there abouts...
Link Posted: 6/24/2015 10:28:52 AM EDT
[#7]
When the time comes, shoot me a message. My wife manages a Real Estate team out of Novi.

Link Posted: 6/25/2015 9:24:56 AM EDT
[#8]
Sounds like you would be a better fit for Salem Township, which is just a little SW of Novi.

Minimum lot size here is 2 acres, and as long as you have an adequate backstop shooting is no problem at all.

Brian
Link Posted: 6/25/2015 5:07:53 PM EDT
[#9]
Novi's proximity to freeways make it easy to live further out and commute in.

The kind of land you are looking for is mostly west of the suburbs if you want to be within reasonable commuting distance. further south toward Toledo is another open but the commute with suck in the winter.

everyone else buys property upstate and enjoys it on the weekend.
Link Posted: 6/26/2015 8:02:09 AM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Sounds like you would be a better fit for Salem Township, which is just a little SW of Novi.

Minimum lot size here is 2 acres, and as long as you have an adequate backstop shooting is no problem at all.

Brian
View Quote

+1

Or Northfield Township which is in Washtenaw County.  It's the next township west from Salem.  5 acre minimum most areas.  My g/f commutes to Novi in about 20-25 minutes via back roads from Northfield.  We run our market garden out of Northfield Township.  Still plenty of open spaces.  Shooting is not a problem out here.  Pretty well located between Ann Arbor, Brighton and points east.

ETA: Change commute time to 20-25 minutes
Link Posted: 6/26/2015 1:55:25 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

+1

Or Northfield Township which is in Washtenaw County.  It's the next township west from Salem.  5 acre minimum most areas.  My g/f commutes to Novi in about 20-25 minutes via back roads from Northfield.  We run our market garden out of Northfield Township.  Still plenty of open spaces.  Shooting is not a problem out here.  Pretty well located between Ann Arbor, Brighton and points east.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Brian

+1

That sounds like what I would be looking for. I will check it out.
So far based on web searches, I was thinking somewhere around Milford. Thanks.
Link Posted: 6/26/2015 6:37:02 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Brian

+1

Milford has a portion that you cannot shoot in AFAIK

Link Posted: 6/26/2015 6:48:17 PM EDT
[#13]
Milford has a portion that you cannot shoot in AFAIK  
View Quote

Yes, Milford is a great town, but has grown a lot in the last several years so much of it cannot be considered 'rural' any longer.

My advice is to see what's available in Northfield or Salem Townships........

We're in rural Northville, if you would like to drop by for a weekend (or whenever) we have a guest room and would be happy to help in your quest.

Brian
Link Posted: 6/29/2015 10:09:34 PM EDT
[#14]
Might want to check south of 94. Everyone is moving west of Novi. Brighton is getting crazy traffic wise. Used to be able to jump out on Old 23 without looking, now I have to wait for waves of cars from both directions. Almost wish gas would go to $10 a gallon so all the commuters would move closer to their work.
White libs seem to have decided to move into the semi rural areas (mostly white folks) to decry that everyone is racist in the area although they don't seem inclined to move to Detroit to help diversify for some reason.
While Livingston county is still a bit more conservative I'm seeing more liberal bumper stickers for hitlery and recently one lambasting Fox News.
Probably the Ann Arbor effect. Chelsea (west of AA) had some mad liberal bitch and her nancyboy husband go ballistic in the Uptown Coney restaurant over Fox News being on the televisions. Uptown caved and now they're showing mostly weather or sports with some CNN thrown into the mix. Washtenaw Parks and Rec had the same problem with the gym they run, took a vote and Fox won but from what I read they're mixing the channels for the whiny assholes.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top