Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/14/2014 5:57:27 PM EDT
Is anyone seeing coyotes in the UP.  I'm in MQT and haven't seen a damn thing.  Granted I'm new to hunting coyotes, but haven't seen any tracks, scat, etc.

I've heard they migrate with the dear down towards Rock, Escanaba, and further towards WI but I haven't done any scouting in that area.

Thanks for the help!
Link Posted: 1/15/2014 2:03:32 AM EDT
[#1]
I wolf hunted up there twice this winter unit c Judy north and west of the bridge, plenty of tracks had some vocalizations going on, nothing came into the call, later tword end of season hunted up all the way from gogebic to east of sidnaw north to south, loss of wolf and coyote sign, but no fur and no vocalizations
Link Posted: 1/15/2014 2:48:24 AM EDT
[#2]
yotes are thick in the National Forest around Kenton, Trout Creek,  amd Sidnaw. Lots of public land there to hunt em, but plan on wading through some snow and putting on the miles. Get in deep near the river bottoms.
Link Posted: 1/15/2014 3:50:02 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks.  I'm heading through the Trout Creek area tomorrow for work.  Guess I'm brining the snow shoes and rifle.
Link Posted: 1/16/2014 4:56:15 PM EDT
[#4]
I stopped in at the US Forest Ranger station in Kenton and they confirmed that they're everywhere.  Hopefully this weekend I can get back there and thin them out a little bit.
Link Posted: 1/17/2014 2:46:30 AM EDT
[#5]
We will be up in the Kenton area for some snowmobiling and recreation. if you see a blue Jeep Liberty with 2A friendly stickers on the back glass throw us a wave. If you should happen to come across our house you will know it. Stop in and give a knock,  we will have coffee on.

Stay warm and dry.  Have a good hunt.
Link Posted: 1/17/2014 3:07:47 AM EDT
[#6]
Good luck, we were over as far as watton and seen lots of sign
Link Posted: 1/24/2014 9:34:09 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I stopped in at the US Forest Ranger station in Kenton and they confirmed that they're everywhere.  Hopefully this weekend I can get back there and thin them out a little bit.
View Quote

I would take what they say with a grain of salt.

Where I hunt, way to the west, there is nothing but wolf sign.

If there are wolves, there won't be many coyotes.
Link Posted: 1/24/2014 3:26:10 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

While I used to follow this as a general rule, the last 4 years have proven differently for us in the Kenton area. We have well established coyote populations on our property and have had 3 wolves take up residence with approximately 3-5 strays.

To OP, if you are headed back for more hunting let me know. I might be able to put you on some yotes if I'm up there.

Link Posted: 1/24/2014 8:46:56 PM EDT
[#9]
Just got back from a 4 day attempt at coyote hunting in houghton.  Way too much snow on the ground. Only saw one set of tracks the whole time and it was using snow machine tracks to aid its travel.   I sourced its food, deer tracks burrowing in the snow or apples, and one set of snowshoe tracks, but just couldn't find any dogs.
Link Posted: 1/25/2014 4:29:31 PM EDT
[#10]
I've been doing some map recce of the Sidnaw/Ottawa NF area.  Anyone been back into the Sturgeon River Gorge?  Seems like it might have some potential if the deer are yarding in the deeper canyon like areas.  Plus the area looks really awesome.

I was thinking about heading up to the southern part of Prickett Lake.  It looks like there is some openings there where I might be able to set up a couple stands.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top