Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/11/2013 6:40:28 PM EDT
I did a search and every one that has asked was from out of state...

Buying my brother his first pistol. I have a CPL and he is 19 and legal

I thought I knew how to do it but since they changed the purchase permits I do not know if it will apply to me...

Thanks in advance
Link Posted: 12/11/2013 10:09:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Buy the gun.  Have your brother go to the sheriff to get a purchase permit for a private sale and then just transfer the gun over to him.  Don't know if it can be done any easier/more efficiently than that.  That's the way my dad gave me his guns so that's all I know.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 4:49:05 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Buy the gun.  Have your brother go to the sheriff to get a purchase permit for a private sale and then just transfer the gun over to him.  Don't know if it can be done any easier/more efficiently than that.  That's the way my dad gave me his guns so that's all I know.
View Quote

That is what I had in mind but wanted to make sure.. I don't want to screw him up unintentionally

Thanks man

ETA lol at your avatar
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 4:56:33 AM EDT
[#3]
Are you buying from an FFL? Not that it really changes much, if anything, but that's what I'll assume and base this answer on.

You will buy the pistol from the FFL and fill out the 4473. Assuming that this is a true gift (no money exchanging hands) you are good. If there is any money exchanging hands, that would be a straw purchase. Don't tell the FFL that the pistol is a gift, as that makes many of them very nervous.

Once you have the pistol, your brother will need to make a trip to the local LEO HQ to obtain a license to purchase.

Then, you will fill out the RI-60 in triplicate and transfer the pistol to your brother.

For both transfers, FFL to you, and you to your brother, the RI-60 must be filled out in triplicate and submitted properly to local LEO.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 5:40:35 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Are you buying from an FFL? Not that it really changes much, if anything, but that's what I'll assume and base this answer on.

You will buy the pistol from the FFL and fill out the 4473. Assuming that this is a true gift (no money exchanging hands) you are good. If there is any money exchanging hands, that would be a straw purchase. Don't tell the FFL that the pistol is a gift, as that makes many of them very nervous.

Once you have the pistol, your brother will need to make a trip to the local LEO HQ to obtain a license to purchase.

Then, you will fill out the RI-60 in triplicate and transfer the pistol to your brother.

For both transfers, FFL to you, and you to your brother, the RI-60 must be filled out in triplicate and submitted properly to local LEO.
View Quote

Yep, this.  I just went thru this with my son, a gift for his 18th b-day.

Only difference is my son was with me, and picked out the pistol.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 7:09:41 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Don't tell the FFL that the pistol is a gift, as that makes many of them very nervous.

View Quote

Read the part in blue and live it.

When I worked for a FFL, that was one way to stop the transfer fast.  The FFL had his own rules that he would stop if there was ANY thought that there could be even the slightest chance of a straw purchase, even if it was going to be a legal gift.  

I saw many transfers stoped just because the customer opened his mouth and said something.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 7:28:28 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Snip.

If your brother wants to handle a few different models and look at them, I suggest doing that on a separate trip. Go look at them one week, and only you go on the day to purchase it. Make the visits a few weeks apart.
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 7:31:06 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

When I worked for a FFL, that was one way to stop the transfer fast.  The FFL had his own rules that he would stop if there was ANY thought that there could be even the slightest chance of a straw purchase, even if it was going to be a legal gift.  

I saw many transfers stoped just because the customer opened his mouth and said something.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Don't tell the FFL that the pistol is a gift, as that makes many of them very nervous.

It's vital that you know the laws and follow the laws, but the FFL needs the bare minimum of information.

Remember, FFLs are private business owners. Just because the purchase is legal does not mean they are legally required to sell to you. As a private business, they may deny any sale they want, for any reason they want (within reason obviously; flat out discrimination or such would be problematic).
Link Posted: 12/12/2013 12:49:17 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

It's vital that you know the laws and follow the laws, but the FFL needs the bare minimum of information.

Remember, FFLs are private business owners. Just because the purchase is legal does not mean they are legally required to sell to you. As a private business, they may deny any sale they want, for any reason they want (within reason obviously; flat out discrimination or such would be problematic).
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thank you

The firearm was purchased online and is sitting at the post office since the FFl was not home to sign...

Brother was interested in this firearm since its a 1911 like mine. So I figured if it didn't work out giving it to him I will have a new gun
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top