Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 8
Link Posted: 10/30/2013 11:08:26 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By rjbergen:

What happens if it's not voted on before the end of the year? Is it tossed out or do they just start where they left off?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By dclark77:
so SB610 is listed at item #60 for 10/31.

There are 16 Senate sessions left for the rest of the calendar year, so if the 4 a day rate continues, will be late Dec before it comes up to a full vote.

What happens if it's not voted on before the end of the year? Is it tossed out or do they just start where they left off?

Not sure how it works in Michigan, but my understanding is they die at the end of the year if not passed by both the Senate / House and would have to be reintroduced next year.  

Hopefully , someone will be along to explain.
Link Posted: 10/31/2013 8:11:39 AM EDT
[#2]

Not sure how it works in Michigan, but my understanding is they die at the end of the year if not passed by both the Senate / House and would have to be reintroduced next year.  

View All Quotes

There are 16 Senate sessions left for the rest of the calendar year, so if the 4 a day rate continues, will be late Dec before it comes up to a full vote.

That's what I thought. Although, I was only judging it based on last year. That was an election year, so part of the legislature was replaced. Seeing as this is not an election year, the same legislators are returning after the new year. Wonder if that makes any difference?
Link Posted: 10/31/2013 11:19:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: SilentType] [#3]

View Quote

We need it to make it to the floor for a vote.

Senate leadership needs to step-up if they want the gun community's full backing in 2014 and they're going to need us.

Link Posted: 11/4/2013 6:20:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: RodMI] [#4]

View All Quotes

Originally Posted By Roundballer:
No, it does not die until the Legislature recesses in December of 2014. Our legislative sessions are two years long.

Something may still happen on this, yet this year. I am keeping my fingers crossed.

This bill is about more than just firearms, it is also about jobs and tax revenue.

Sec. 13.

The legislature shall meet at the seat of government on the second Wednesday in January of each year at twelve o'clock noon. Each regular session shall adjourn without day, on a day determined by concurrent resolution, at twelve o'clock noon. Any business, bill or joint resolution pending at the final adjournment of a regular session held in an odd numbered year shall carry over with the same status to the next regular session.

http://www.legislature.mi.gov/%28S%28y0onbb55vkrzib55rflhkn45%29%29/mileg.aspx?page=GetObject&objectname=mcl-Article-IV-13

http://www.migunowners.org/forum/showthread.php?t=266909&page=17  Post#163
Link Posted: 11/12/2013 9:31:44 PM EDT
[#5]
According to the email from the NRA, the bill is scheduled for a vote on Thursday.

On Thursday, the Michigan Senate is expected to vote on Senate Bill 610, legislation that would lift Michigan’s ban on the private ownership of short-barreled rifles and shotguns.  SB 610, sponsored by state Senator Mike Green (R-31), passed unanimously in the Senate Judiciary Committee last month.  It is important that you contact your state Senator TODAY and urge him or her to vote for Senate Bill 610.

http://www.nraila.org/legislation/state-legislation/2013/11/michigan-pro-gun-bill-goes-to-senate-floor-this-week.aspx
Link Posted: 11/13/2013 8:52:47 AM EDT
[#6]
Contact your senator Find your MI State Senatorand send them this letter:

Dear Senator,
On Thursday, the Michigan Senate is expected to vote on Senate Bill 610, legislation that would lift Michigan’s ban on the private ownership of short-barreled rifles and shotguns.  SB 610, sponsored by state Senator Mike Green (R-31), passed unanimously in the Senate Judiciary Committee last month.

Short-barreled rifles and shotguns are already strictly regulated under the National Firearms Act, requiring their buyers to undergo a background investigation, pay a $200 tax and register these firearms with the federal Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives. SB 610 would conform Michigan law to federal law and align Michigan with more than 40 other states that already allow their residents to possess these firearms.

As a law abiding citizen of the state of Michigan and a responsible gun owner, I urge you to vote for Senate Bill 610 and help repeal this long-standing state gun ban, allow Michigan residents the same freedoms as other citizens of the commonwealth of the USA, to lawfully posses SBR's, by using the already established procedures and regulations offered by the BATFE.
View Quote
Link Posted: 11/13/2013 11:36:01 AM EDT
[#7]
I just sent my reps more emails.  The more they hear from us the better.
Link Posted: 11/13/2013 6:57:49 PM EDT
[#8]
From Sen. Jack Brandenburg (Macomb Co.)
"I support it 100%!  Thank you for your email!
I appreciate you contacting me regarding this legislation to express your support.
Sincerely,
Jack Brandenburg"

You can always tell someone who really supports something. Their answers are short and to the point. Others who waiver on it or are against it but dont want to tell you so, will give you some long drawn out answer about supporting rights but say nothing about supporting the bill or gun rights.

THANKS SEN. BRANDENBURG!!
Link Posted: 11/13/2013 7:46:10 PM EDT
[#9]
No word back from Sen Jones...

So what do you think the chances are this will get approved???
Link Posted: 11/13/2013 9:12:00 PM EDT
[#10]
With our current State legislature makeup, better than we have ever had. But you never know when some nut job is going to shoot up some place important, draw a lot of political attention, and cause it to be put it on hold. Every day its still on the agenda is a good thing.

Keep hitting up those Senators.
Link Posted: 11/14/2013 12:25:12 PM EDT
[#11]
Passed the Senate vote 36 yeas and 2 nays.

Hopefully the house will pass as well.
Link Posted: 11/14/2013 1:07:09 PM EDT
[#12]

View Quote

Yes!
Link Posted: 11/14/2013 1:13:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: cybersniper] [#13]
Minutes should be posted by tomorrow to see who the 2 Naysayers are. I'm guessing Detroit and Flint area Senators. I'm surprised 10 of 12 Dems voted for it.

More lobbying will need to be done with the House. The Republicans  are in a majority but only 59 to 50.

Start hitting up the HJ Committee.

House Judiciary Committee
Kevin Cotter (R) Committee Chair, 99th District
[email protected]

Klint Kesto (R) Majority Vice-Chair, 39th District
[email protected]

Kurt Heise (R) 20th District
[email protected]

Bradford Jacobsen (R) 46th District
[email protected]

Joel Johnson (R) 97th District
[email protected]

Andrea LaFontaine (R) 32nd District
[email protected]

Tom Leonard (R) 93rd District
[email protected]

Phil Cavanagh (D) Minority Vice-Chair, 10th District
[email protected]

Ellen Lipton (D) 27th District
[email protected]

Jeff Irwin (D) 53rd District
[email protected]

Paul Clemente (D) 14th District
[email protected]
Link Posted: 11/14/2013 5:41:59 PM EDT
[#14]

View Quote

Awesome! I waited til the last minute to write to my senator, and haven't received a reply. But it looks like it didn't matter.
Link Posted: 11/14/2013 6:30:13 PM EDT
[#15]
What's the timing on this getting a vote in the House?
Link Posted: 11/14/2013 6:42:34 PM EDT
[#16]
Here is the vote :

Roll Call No. 538   Yeas—36
Ananich
Green
Jones
Proos
Anderson
Gregory
Kahn
Richardville
Bieda Hansen
Kowall
Robertson
Booher
Hildenbrand
Marleau
Rocca
Brandenburg
Hood
Meekhof
Schuitmaker
Casperson
Hopgood
Moolenaar
Smith
Caswell
Hune
Nofs
Walker
Colbeck
Hunter
Pappageorge
Whitmer
Emmons
Jansen
Pavlov
Young

Nays—2
Johnson
Warren
Link Posted: 11/14/2013 6:48:02 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By MidMichHunter:
What's the timing on this getting a vote in the House?
View Quote

It was referred to the House Committee on Judiciary , but the next session on the Calendar is listed as  Dec 3rd.

Link Posted: 11/14/2013 7:01:52 PM EDT
[#18]
Here is the vote:
Nays—2
Johnson
Warren
View Quote

Wayne and Washtenaw counties respectively. Go figure. Rebekah Warren is a twat.
Link Posted: 11/15/2013 7:57:29 PM EDT
[#19]
I still haven't gotten a reply, but can't believe my sen. voted yea.

Only time I can remember that he's voted in our favor.
Link Posted: 11/16/2013 2:39:34 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 11/16/2013 10:22:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: madmathew] [#21]

Link Posted: 11/18/2013 11:49:28 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 11/19/2013 2:13:22 AM EDT
[#23]
One step closer.  I hope this passes.  The only NFA stuff I want [read:afford] is a SBR and a suppressor for it!
Link Posted: 11/19/2013 6:59:04 AM EDT
[#24]
Well, I hedged a bet on this and picked up a short upper off the EE, so here's to hoping it all passes, or, in the worst I guess I'll have a pistol or pinned can.  I'll be writing all my reps again, that's for sure.
Link Posted: 11/20/2013 9:37:19 AM EDT
[#25]
Emailed my representative this morning. He's not on the Committee on Judiciary, but I don't expect problems with that committee as it's something like 10 - 4 Reps to Dems.

Unfortunately it is a waiting game now as the legislature is out until 3 Dec. and there are currently no committee meetings scheduled from here on out. We'll have to keep an eye on the calendar for when a meeting is scheduled.
Link Posted: 11/23/2013 3:58:26 AM EDT
[#26]
Looking good guys! Hopefuly yours passes, we're hoping to do the same in Washington in January!
Link Posted: 11/28/2013 8:40:27 PM EDT
[#27]
Happy Thanksgiving.

I am very thankful that the residents of Michigan have made great strides in improving our rights this year despite the setback of Governor Snyder's veto of SB 59 at the start of the year (expansion of CPL rights).

God willing next year we'll have the same liberties as our fellow citizens in the majority of States. You're all Patriots and great Michiganders in my book.  

Link Posted: 12/18/2013 3:04:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TBoneDetroit] [#28]
Okay, does anyone have any updates on this??

ETA: Okay, found this thread down the page... maybe we can get  it merged into this one?
Link Posted: 12/20/2013 8:48:48 AM EDT
[#29]
Here's a quick update for those of you wondering...

The Michigan legislature has gone on break for the holidays. The House does not return until 8 January 2014; therefore, we will not see anything until then. Even by 8 Jan. 2014, they will just be retruning, and likely a few more weeks to actually take any action.

SB610 is currently in the House Judiciary Committee where it has not been brought up in a committee meeting yet. The members of the House Judiciary Committee can be found here. You may search for your state representative here. If your representative is on the committee, please email them. If your representative is not on the committee, please email Kevin Cotter, the committee chair, and Angie Lake ([email protected]), the committee clerk.

If you would like to sign up for email notices of committee activities, you may sign up here.

Here is a thread on MI Gun Owners that is tracking SB610. I linked to the first page, but you can navigate to the end for the most recent information.

I want to say thank you to dmitriyk and RodMI as I used links they provided (some of which I already had anyways) in the other thread about SB610 here in the MI HTF.
Link Posted: 12/31/2013 5:38:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: simplemitch] [#30]
I am SUPER pissed that I had heard nothing of this until I just stumbled upon this thread!

There needs to be a way to message all MI members for stuff like this. Come on site staff, get it together!

I know lots of peeps that would be happy to write their reps to get this passed. Let's hit it!
Link Posted: 1/6/2014 10:01:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: simplemitch] [#31]
Here's what I'm sending Mr. Cotter, as he is my rep. What do you think?

Representative Cotter,
I'd like to take this opportunity to voice my support for Senate Bill 610 both as a departmental member of a Michigan law enforcement agency and as a fellow resident of Isabella County. I feel this bill, if passed, could be a great benefit to all residents of our fine state. While the benefit to firearms enthusiasts is self-evident, everybody would surely benefit from the revenue that could be generated by the Michigan based retailers, manufacturers, and related businesses that this will affect. Undoubtedly, uninformed persons will raise objection to allowing such "weapons on our streets", but I would urge you to remind them that the use of legally owned NFA items in crimes is so rare as to be virtually immeasurable and certainly an invalid argument at best. In reality, the passing of this bill only serves to bring our state in line with the Federal laws already in existence.
In summary, I would greatly thank you for your support of SB610 and for taking the time to listen.

Respectfully,
--------- -------
View Quote
Link Posted: 1/7/2014 8:48:53 AM EDT
[Last Edit: rjbergen] [#32]
Originally Posted By simplemitch:

View All Quotes

Representative Cotter,
I'd like to take this opportunity to voice my support for Senate Bill 610 both as a departmental member of a Michigan law enforcement agency and as a fellow resident of Isabella County. I feel this bill, if passed, could be a great benefit to all residents of our fine state. While the benefit to firearms enthusiasts is self-evident, everybody would surely benefit from the revenue that could be generated by the Michigan based retailers, manufacturers, and related businesses that this will affect. Undoubtedly, uninformed persons will raise objection to allowing such "weapons on our streets", but I would urge you to remind them that the use of legally owned NFA items in crimes is so rare as to be virtually immeasurable and certainly an invalid argument at best. In reality, the passing of this bill only serves to bring our state in line with the Federal laws already in existence.
In summary, I would greatly thank you for your support of SB610 and for taking the time to listen.

Respectfully,
--------- -------

Sounds good to me. Send it off. You'll likely only get a form letter back, and a hash mark added to the "supporters' list.

ETA: As of today, the House Judiciary Committee has not scheduled a meeting. The legislature is scheduled to return to Lansing tomorrow, maybe they will schedule a meeting then.
Link Posted: 1/8/2014 8:49:43 AM EDT
[#33]
I would like to participate to help get SBR/SBS in Michigan.  I grew up in MI,  and left a few years ago when the job market dried up,  but I'm seeking to move back home.

I have too much NFA stuff though,  and I'd have to figure out a way to get rid of several guns before moving back... Or get SB610 passed.

Who should I email?  Nobody is "my representative" because I'm not a resident anymore.
Link Posted: 1/8/2014 9:43:00 AM EDT
[#34]
Originally Posted By Modly:
I would like to participate to help get SBR/SBS in Michigan.  I grew up in MI,  and left a few years ago when the job market dried up,  but I'm seeking to move back home.

I have too much NFA stuff though,  and I'd have to figure out a way to get rid of several guns before moving back... Or get SB610 passed.

Who should I email?  Nobody is "my representative" because I'm not a resident anymore.
View Quote

The MI House Judiciary Committee is currently in control of the bill. The bill has been in the House Judiciary Committee since it passed the Senate back in Nov. The legislature returns to Lansing today, but I'm not aware of any scheduled committee meetings yet. Hopefully SB 610 will make it onto the House Judiciary Committee calendar soon. Most bills are read one to three times in committee meetings prior to the committee taking a vote; however, SB 610 was voted on and referred to the Senate in its very first appearance in the Senate Judiciary Committee. At this point, it's a waiting game until the House Judiciary Committee decides to put SB 610 on their calendar.

Since you're out-of-state and have no representative, I'd suggest you try contacting Rep. Cotter, the House Judiciary Committee chair, and Angie Lake, the House Judiciary Committee clerk.
Link Posted: 1/9/2014 10:44:58 PM EDT
[#35]
Just emailed my representative in addition to all the committee members.

Really hoping this gets through
Link Posted: 1/12/2014 12:50:53 PM EDT
[#36]
Emails sent!

Might have been a very expensive email.
Link Posted: 1/22/2014 4:17:38 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By d5griffin:
Emails sent!

View Quote

Huh?
Link Posted: 1/22/2014 4:39:40 PM EDT
[#38]

Huh?
View All Quotes
Emails sent!

Huh?

I believe he's implying that if the bill passes he will be purchasing some short uppers and tax stamps, likely not just one set either it sounds like.
Link Posted: 1/22/2014 4:41:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: rjbergen] [#39]
Just an update for everyone:

The House Judiciary Committee has a meeting tomorrow 23 Jan. 2014 at 0900. However, there are 2 bills on the agenda, and SB610 is not one of them.

HB4486 is one the agenda and it was referred to committee on 20 March 2013. The other bill on the agenda is SB 628 which was referred to committee on 6 Nov. 2013. There doesn't seem to be a pattern.

Now for the good news: The House is in-session through the end of March (they take most of April off). This gives them 9 more weeks (and should be 9 more meetings) to hopefully get to our bill before their break.
Link Posted: 1/22/2014 5:29:36 PM EDT
[#40]

The House Judiciary Committee has a meeting tomorrow 23 Jan. 2014 at 0900. However, there are 2 bills on the agenda, and SB610 is not one of them.

HB4486 is one the agenda and it was referred to committee on 20 March 2013. The other bill on the agenda is SB 628 which was referred to committee on 6 Nov. 2013. There doesn't seem to be a pattern.

Now for the good news: The House is in-session through the end of March (they take most of April off). This gives them 9 more weeks (and should be 9 more meetings) to hopefully get to our bill before their break.
View Quote

Keeping my fingers crossed! lol, this will be my first victim for sbr lol  
Link Posted: 1/23/2014 7:47:11 PM EDT
[#41]

View Quote

My wallet is ready.  

Link Posted: 1/28/2014 10:36:28 AM EDT
[Last Edit: rjbergen] [#42]
This week's update:

The House Judiciary Committee has a meetingThursday 30 Jan. 2014 at 0900. However, there are 7 bills on the agenda, and SB610 is not one of them.

As a reminder, the House is in-session through the end of March (they take most of April off). This gives them 8 more weeks (and should be 8 more meetings) to hopefully get to our bill before their break.

We need to continue to pressure our district representatives, if yours happens to be on the Judiciary Committee. If your district's representative is not on the Judiciary Committee, you may contact Rep. Kevin Cotter (R) (committee chair), Rep. Klint Kesto (R) (majority vice-chair), and, for shits and giggles, Rep. Phil Cavanagh (D) (minority vice-chair). Keep those emails, phone calls, and letters going. Make them aware that we insist on this bill being discussed in committee.

Keep up the pressure, we will make sure this bill passes! Better start your savings account now

ETA: Here is the email that I sent to Reps. Cotter, Kesto, and Cavanagh. Feel free to use this if you wish.
Rep. [INSERT REP'S NAME],

Currently, SB 610 is referred to the House Judiciary Committee. This bill was passed unanimously in the Senate Judiciary Committee only 8 days after it was introduced. Less than a month after being referred to the committee of the whole, it was passed by a 36-2 vote. I strongly urge you to place this bill in front of the House Judiciary Committee for review.

SB 610 would align Michigan with 41 other states that currently follow federal firearms laws and allow for the legal possession of properly registered short barrel rifles (SBR) and short barrel shotguns (SBS). An individual wishing to take possession of such a firearm must submit an application form, passport-quality photograph, fingerprint cards, and $200 special tax to the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives(BATFE). The BATFE conducts a thorough background investigation and processes the application, usually taking 6 months or more to reach a conclusion of approval or denial. If approved, the individual's firearm is then registered with the BATFE (note: this is not done with most firearms in the United States) and under SB 610, the firearm would be required to be registered with the Michigan State Police. These firearms are highly regulated, and may only be possessed by persons cleared through a background check.

Allowing for the legal possession of SBRs and SBSs in Michigan would open an entirely new economic market in the state. Under current Michigan laws, firearm manufactures in Michigan are prohibited from making or selling SBRs and SBSs, even if they are to be sold in other states. SB 610 would open a market of 42 states that Michigan manufacturers would be able to market their products in. The bill would also allow Michigan's federal firearm licensees (FFL) (licensed firearm dealers), who have the required Buearu of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosive (BATFE) issued special occupational tax (SOT) stamp (an additional $500.00 per year fee, in addition to the standard FFL fee) to carry these additional products to sell that previously were prohibited. The economic benefit of this bill could create additional jobs and bring additional revenue to Michigan-based companies.Again, I urge you to place this bill before the House Judiciary Committee for review.

Thank you,
[INSERT YOUR NAME]
View Quote

ETA: Form-letter updated to include snakeman48's comments.
Link Posted: 2/2/2014 9:01:51 AM EDT
[#43]
I sent my letters off to the 3 Rep's listed above.

But I changed the last paragraph to read:

Allowing for the legal possession of SBRs and SBSs in Michigan would open an entirely new economic market in the state. Under current Michigan laws, firearm manufactures in Michigan are prohibited from making or selling SBRs and SBSs, even if they are to be sold in other states. SB 610 would open a market of 42 states that Michigan manufacturers would be able to market their products in.

The bill would also allow Michigan FFL/ SOT licensed firearm dealers, who have the required BATFE issued Special Occupational Tax License (A additional $500.00 per year license, in addition to the standard FFL)  to carry these additional products to sell that previously were prohibited. The economic benefit of this bill could create additional jobs and bring additional revenue to Michigan-based companies.
Link Posted: 2/3/2014 3:51:41 PM EDT
[#44]

I believe he's implying that if the bill passes he will be purchasing some short uppers and tax stamps, likely not just one set either it sounds like.
View All Quotes
Emails sent!

Huh?

Yes. I've wanted SBR's many moons now. At least 2 barrels should be scared for their lives.
Link Posted: 2/3/2014 11:32:56 PM EDT
[#45]
Received this in a email today from a email I wrote in November .

Just wanted to be sure you were aware, Senator Emmons did vote in favor of SB 610.  The bill has been transferred to the House of Representatives and has been assigned to the House Judiciary Committee.
View Quote
Link Posted: 2/9/2014 12:59:04 AM EDT
[#46]
This will be a blessing for those of us who for years have been hampered by the SBR and SBS restriction when it comes to deciding what we can use to defend our families. In combination with our ability to own suppressors and new defensive ammunition in the .223 caliber we will be able to have highly effective home defense weapons.
Link Posted: 2/11/2014 12:41:39 PM EDT
[#47]
Checking back in with the latest update. I received the notification email this morning about the House Judiciary Committee meeting on Thurs. morning and SB 610 is not on the agenda. It wasn't on the agenda last week either.

We need another wave of emails, letters, and/or phone calls to the representatives to show them that we're serious. Let's bring SB 610 to their attention and bring it to a vote.
Link Posted: 2/14/2014 10:29:32 PM EDT
[#48]
I am now advised that SB 610 will receive testimony in House Judiciary Committee next Thursday Feburary 20, at 9:00am. The agenda is rather packed so the chairman could not guarantee a specific time it will be brought up.  If you can attand and lend your support that would be great.  If you can testify in support please do so.

Link Posted: 2/14/2014 10:46:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: rjbergen] [#49]
Originally Posted By MichMan1:
I am now advised that SB 610 will receive testimony in House Judiciary Committee next Thursday Feburary 20, at 9:00am. The agenda is rather packed so the chairman could not guarantee a specific time it will be brought up.  If you can attand and lend your support that would be great.  If you can testify in support please do so.
View Quote

That's great news. It's always such short notice, but I'll see if I can get time off work.
Link Posted: 2/18/2014 11:03:05 AM EDT
[#50]
http://www.house.mi.gov/publiccommitteeschedule/MeetingDisplay.aspx?BroadcastKey=4182

9:00 AM
Anderson House Office Building
Room 521
124 North Capitol Avenue
P.O. Box 30014
Lansing, MI 48909-7514
Page / 8
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top