Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/21/2013 12:05:56 PM EDT
Howdy,

Anyone here involved with these folks? I'm looking to become more politically involved and am looking for feedback on this angle. How are they: a buncha whackos or some serious-minded folks who like to get shit done?
Link Posted: 7/21/2013 7:03:12 PM EDT
[#1]
I had a family member who was the state chair of the Libertarian party.  Represented Michigan at the National level of the party.  He ended up leaving due to the fact that the Libertarian party doesn't get anything done.  It can be done, a push by a third party is possible but the people in the Libertarian party aren't willing to do what is necessary.

Are they whackos? eh not really.  You'll come across some odd folk just like in anything you do.  I'm a hardcore Libertarian by belief but when I plan on becoming more involved politically I will end up going to one of the major parties, most likely Republican.  Depending on what you are looking for I'd recommend a major party so that you can make more inroads and accomplish a lot more.  If you're just wanting a group to socialize with somewhat like  minded individuals than go for it and see if you like it.
Link Posted: 7/22/2013 3:27:56 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks. I'm a hardcore libertarian, and do what I can to vote for the best of what the major parties have to offer (which isn't much), but i'd like to see if there's something more I could do, or not. I'll check it out and see.
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 10:51:36 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thanks. I'm a hardcore libertarian, and do what I can to vote for the best of what the major parties have to offer (which isn't much), but i'd like to see if there's something more I could do, or not. I'll check it out and see.
View Quote

Unfortunately, the major parties pretty much have any meaningful political position locked up. I tend to fall into the libertarian category as well, but it's likely not going to make much headway as a party.
Link Posted: 7/23/2013 1:31:58 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Unfortunately, the major parties pretty much have any meaningful political position locked up. I tend to fall into the libertarian category as well, but it's likely not going to make much headway as a party.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's my thought on the subject as well. I must say that this "two" party bullshit needs to change. Of course, it would be more accurate to say the Dems and Republicans these days are two wings of the same party, each vying for control. Whoever wins, we lose.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 2:20:59 AM EDT
[#5]
If you really want to accomplish something, sign up next January-May of 2014 as a Republican precinct delegate. You can have the effect of several hundred people in casting a vote to change the direction (and leaders) of that party for the better, from the inside.  As is plainly evident in every day's headlines, we can't fix the Democrat problem until we first fix the Republican problem.
Link Posted: 7/24/2013 3:48:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
If you really want to accomplish something, sign up next January-May of 2014 as a Republican precinct delegate. You can have the effect of several hundred people in casting a vote to change the direction (and leaders) of that party for the better, from the inside.  As is plainly evident in every day's headlines, we can't fix the Democrat problem until we first fix the Republican problem.
View Quote

Well shit, that actually sounds like something my speed. Never even heard of that position. Thanks for the tip, and your last sentence is especially prudent.
Link Posted: 7/25/2013 5:15:05 AM EDT
[#7]
Here is the website.
Mich Libertarian Party

There is a convention in Flint this saturday for a special election.  Feel free to come over and meet some people.

I have been a party member for several years and on the ballot.  If you want to run a campaign and get on the ballot you should check it out.  Its hard to get ballot access in other parties.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top