Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/19/2013 7:38:33 PM EDT
Hello all I am looking into moving to your state in the Detroit Metro area. Im from new jersey and I have some questions.
How are winters/seasons? what is there to do out there such as mountain biking, hunting, fishing, kayaking, ski/ snowmobile sports?
What can i expect for gun laws? here I need purchase permits and an FID to purchase guns/ammo and its a pain.
CCW? Crime rates exc. ?
Im single and not looking for info on schools/ family things.
I have a few friends out there to help with moving in and what not.
Im sure ill have more questions but this is all I can think of at the moment
Thanks in advance!!
Link Posted: 4/19/2013 8:30:57 PM EDT
[#1]
How are winters/seasons?
Hot summers and cold winters. Yesterday it was 70 here in Lansing, and today we got some snow Being surrounded by lakes makes for some interesting weather.

What is there to do out there such as mountain biking, hunting, fishing, kayaking, ski/ snowmobile sports?
All of the above and more. If it's something to do outdoors, then we have it. Moving to the Detroit area means you'll be close to a lot of major sports teams and concerts, if that's your thing. I can think of a lot of gun shops and ranges in that area too.

What can I expect for gun laws? Here I need purchase permits and an FID to purchase guns/ammo and its a pain.
I'm not familiar with NJ gun laws (I hear that they're pretty bad), but MI is pretty good compared to some other states. My only real complaint is that pistols are registered. Suppressors and MGs are allowed, no mag limits, fairly relaxed carry laws. Just a couple things off the top of my head.

CCW?
$105 Concealed Pistol Licence (CPL) fee, plus roughly $100 for the required class. Handgunlaws.us covers the rest (such as pistol free zones, informing the cop when pulled over, etc.) pretty well. Edit: but that sort of stuff would be covered in that class too.
Link Posted: 4/20/2013 4:28:16 AM EDT
[#2]
The Detroit area seems to get less snow than anywhere else in the state.  We get slammed once in a while, but most storms go either north or south.

Hunting and fishing rival anywhere else.

Gun laws are pretty good, with the exceptions of pistol registration, (already mentioned) and no SBR/SBS.

You'll need to go up north for skiing and snowmobiling, but that's routine here.  Kayaking seems to getting pretty popular.  Lots of rivers in the area.

CCW/CPL is shall issue.  Knife laws are kinda weird.

Where are you looking at?  Detroit metro area is pretty big and varied.
Link Posted: 4/20/2013 6:07:24 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks so much im looking in the taylor area. I have to drive now to snow sports snowboarding/snowmobiling so im used to that. Just trying to get a feel for the area from anyone i can talk to.
Link Posted: 4/20/2013 7:12:04 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Thanks so much im looking in the taylor area. I have to drive now to snow sports snowboarding/snowmobiling so im used to that. Just trying to get a feel for the area from anyone i can talk to.

I've lived in Taylor most of my life.  What do you need to know?  
Link Posted: 4/20/2013 1:39:43 PM EDT
[#5]
Just looking to see what places to shoot are like. People in general. Im from jersey everyone here sucks ! Well not everyone but most. Im looking for a change of pace and i have a hobby for every season. Im coming to visit a friend who lives there too soon. What good restraunts. Places to find girls ? Stuff like that !
Link Posted: 4/20/2013 4:01:56 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Hello all I am looking into moving to your state in the Detroit Metro area. Im from new jersey and I have some questions.

How are winters/seasons? Cold, but you get all 4 seasons. Expect anything between blizzards and 100F and 100% humidity

what is there to do out there such as mountain biking, hunting, fishing, kayaking, ski/ snowmobile sports? Michigan is an excellent outdoors state. Just not the Detroit Metro area. Expect to do some driving "up north" to get to the good hunting/fishing/ski/snowmobile/etc.. stuff. There's a multi billion dollar tourism industry here focused on the outdoors.

What can i expect for gun laws? Way better than NJ, it will seem like Christmas here. Worse than Idaho/Florida/Texas. Walk into Cabela's with cash and driver's license, walk out with Colt 6920 with 10 PMags and a case of .223 (assuming you can find it in stock!). Or hit up a gun show and buy a $500 mosin nagant for cash and carry.

here I need purchase permits and an FID to purchase guns/ammo and its a pain. You need a "purchase permit" given out at the FFL point of purchase or you can get one from your local cop shop. You do have to "register" your pistols only, and you do that by mailing a little piece of paper to Lansing. How that is supposed to be accurate I have no idea. No restrictions on long gun purchases, cash and carry or 4473 at the FFL

CCW? Remember that "pistol purchase license?" Well in all practicality it acts a sort of an open carry license. Statewide preemption on local firearm ordinances.  Grab your glock and your holster and head out the door. The cops may hassle in rare circumstances you but they can't do anything. Oh and you can OC your AR15 but its considered 'faux pas' by a lot of people. Concealed carry is ~$110+cost of class ~$100 and anywhere between a 2-6 week wait for processing. It also gets you out of part of the pistol license crap and allow you to buy at the FFL without a NICS check.

Crime rates exc. ? Detroit is like Camden but worse. There are a few square miles of ok Detroit, but you will not live there, only visit for Tigers games and such. West side of the state is much nicer and safer. The Metro Detroit area has some really nice safe areas, and some not so nice and not nice areas

Im single and not looking for info on schools/ family things. Don't worry, the public schools are hit or miss

Thanks in advance!!

No AWB here. No magazine restrictions, grab your 75 round AK drum and blast away.

Machine guns and suppressors are ok, no SBR or SBS.

CPL is SHALL issue, take an 8 hour class, fill out some forms, get fingerprinted, and bam! you can carry in ~40 states. We have lots of hoops to jump through, but it pays off in that our license is honored basically everywhere not may issue.

Overall on guns we don't suck, but we're not awesome. Moving from NJ will feel like moving from the USSR to the USA.

Gun culture is alive and strong here, especially on the west side and up north. You will meet many gun owners in daily life.
Link Posted: 4/20/2013 4:09:32 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Just looking to see what places to shoot are like. People in general. Im from jersey everyone here sucks ! Well not everyone but most. Im looking for a change of pace and i have a hobby for every season. Im coming to visit a friend who lives there too soon. What good restraunts. Places to find girls ? Stuff like that !

There are many indoor "pay by the hour" ranges/gun shops in the Detroit area. There also are some private clubs and public DNR ranges as well. Outside of the metro area you can target shoot on public land so long as its safe and not illegal otherwise.

No offense to the member from Taylor, but I would suggest living on the northern side of Detroit / Oakland County, but stay away from Pontiac.

Royal Oak is where the bars, restaurants and girls are at. Prepare to meet bro's and bobble head blondes at those bars. If you like women who wear burkhas, check out Dearborn.
Link Posted: 4/20/2013 9:20:05 PM EDT
[#8]
You don't get to say very often but MI will be a good step up from Jersey for you.   I moved back here after living in Boston for 15 years.   We have been having a pretty good run of improving the gun laws the last 5 or 6 years so hopefully we can keep it up.   Like was already said you'll want to head up north for recreation but there several indoor ranges around metro Detroit.
Link Posted: 4/20/2013 11:32:46 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
snip...

We have been having a pretty good run of improving the gun laws the last 5 or 6 years so hopefully we can keep it up.

+1

I haven't read about any anti-2A bills being proposed lately.
There was even a bill last year that would have gotten rid of our pistol regisration, but that was butured (sp?) by our legisature and ulitmately vetoed by our asshat governor.
Link Posted: 4/21/2013 3:16:22 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Top Gun in Taylor has a pretty nice indoor range.  Wolverine, in Brownstown, is just a couple miles away.  Not quite as nice as Top Gun, and the parking lot sucks, but usually not as crowded.  There are a couple of DNR rifle ranges within about a 45 minute drive.  I haven't been to either for a couple years, so someone else will have more current info on them.

Plenty of decent restaurants in the area, just a matter of what you're looking for.  Pia's on Ecorse Rd. for italian, for example, been around for years.

Royal Oak, may be a good area to find girls, but no offense, you couldn't pay me to live there.  Lots of hippies, liberals, ...  Go there and wander around on a Friday or Saturday night.  You'll see what I mean.

Taylor/downriver area, is probably the most conservative area of metro Detroit.  That's not saying much though.  Pretty much blue collar.

You'll need input from someone younger/been married less years than me for help with the bar scene around here.  
Link Posted: 4/22/2013 4:05:44 AM EDT
[#11]
Thanks for all the info guys ill be visiting soon to check it all out ! Any more questions and ill be back !
Link Posted: 4/22/2013 5:44:34 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
How are winters/seasons? In the Metro Detroit area, winters can be bitter cold, but we don't typically get as much snow as the West side of the state. Summers tend to be humid with all of the lakes. The saying "If you don't like the weather, wait 5 minutes" couldn't be more true. As one poster mentioned last Thurs. it was 75 degrees, and we woke up to snow on the ground on Fri. morning.

What is there to do out there such as mountain biking, hunting, fishing, kayaking, ski/ snowmobile sports? There are lots of mountain bike trails. I used to race. There is the Michigan Mountain Bike Association that puts on races across the state. The Governor is pushing for a new trail network. It would connect existing trails and run from Detroit up to the Wisconsin border in the UP. Obviously, that will take a few years to build up.

There are hunting and fishing sites all over. There are a lot of State Game Areas where you can hunt. You may also target shoot in these areas. However, one member mentioned that you can target shoot on public land, and this is not completely true. State Game Areas are public land and so are State Parks. You can target shoot only on State Game Area land.

Kayaking/canoeing is available in many locations. I enjoy the Au Sable river, and hope to make it to the Rifle river this year. Those are both about 3 hours north of Detroit.

Skiing/snowmobiling is a great past time here. There are some basic slopes near the Detroit area that are close enough to sneak in a couple hours of skiing after work on weeknights. The better slopes will require more driving and be a day trip at least.

Living near metro Detroit also gives you access to the Lions, Tigers, Red Wings, and Pistons with ease. Plus, there's U of M and MSU nearby for college sports. Detroit also has a large number of concerts and performing arts events.

What can i expect for gun laws? here I need purchase permits and an FID to purchase guns/ammo and its a pain. Gun laws here are pretty good. No AWB, no mag restrictions. All NFA items are allowed except for SBS and SBR. Most CLEOs are good about signing off on NFA items, so you likely don't need to go the trust route. No permit needed to buy ammo or long guns. A permit is required to purchase a pistol, with some exceptions that we can go into later, and all pistols are required to be registered with the MI State Police (MSP).

CCW? Crime rates exc.? Crime rates can be pretty high in some of the urban areas in Detroit and such. You'll learn the areas to avoid, but the areas frequented by suburbanites will be fine.

Be careful with terminology here. CCW, carrying a concealed weapon, is the term for a crime here. CPL, concealed pistol license, is the term for the license to carry a concealed pistol. Getting your CPL is simple. Take an 8 hour class (5 hours of classroom, 3 hours of range time with at least 30 rounds fired) for about $100. Then apply for the license which is $105, $15 more if you need your picture taken. We're a shall issue state, so as long as you meet the requirements and pass the background check, you're good to go. Open carry is allowed, even without a CPL. Just make yourself aware of the no carry zones. There are no carry zones for those without a CPL. If you have a CPL, there aren't any no carry zones, but there are some no concealed carry zones. So, if you have a CPL, you may open carry anywhere in the state that is not restricted on the federal level (post offices, federal buildings/courts, etc.)

Im single and not looking for info on schools/ family things.
Thanks in advance!!

Link Posted: 4/25/2013 4:10:25 PM EDT
[#13]
thanks once more ! im coming to check everything out and then make a decision on whether or not im going to leave my family here, Parents and what not no wife kids girlfriend or nonsense. Im hoping if I do move it will be for the better. See yall soon!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top