Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/13/2010 7:18:29 AM EDT
[Last Edit: S_A_C]
I see a lot of people asking questions about Michigan's fun laws, so I thought that it would be nice to have a thread with all the relevant laws of interest to Michigan's Gun Owners, particularly those who carry.  I think I got them all, but if you can think of anything else let me know.

Mods if you want to tack this for reference go ahead.

MCL 123.1102 Michigan Firearm law preemption.

MCL 28.425f CPL Police Disclosure requirement.

MCL 750.234d Non CPL Holder Gun Free Zones.

MCL 28.425o CPL Pistol Free Zones.

MCL 28.421 Definitions, this is the one sited in AG Opinion 6280.

MCL 750.224b Short Barreled Rifles, and Shotguns are banned, unless they're C&R's.

MCL 750.222 Definitions.

MCL 28.425b Concealed Carry law.

MCL 28.422a Pistol Registration Requirement, and exemption from Purchase Permits for CPL holders.

MCL 28.422 Purchase Permit requirement.

AG Opinion 6280 Rifles, or Shotguns measuring less than 30 inches, but more than 26 inches in overall length are considered pistols, and folding, or telescoping stocks are measured folded, or collapsed.

AG Opinion 7113 Pistol Free Zones do not apply if you open carry, and have a CPL.

AG Opinion 7120 Outdoor Parks (city/state/federal parks, zoos, theme parks, etc.) are not "Entertainment Facilities" per MCL 28.425o.

AG Opinion 7260 Sound Suppressors (Silencers) Are legal.

MSP Legal Update Number 86 Advisory to Michigan Police Officers that Open Carry with a CPL in Pistol Free Zones is legal.

MCRGO v Ferndale, 256 Mich. App. 401, (2003) Preemption applies to public buildings.

Supreme Court Decision DC V. Heller

Supreme Court Decision Chicago V. McDonald

Supreme Court Decision Florida V. JL Anonymous tip, or mere possession of a gun is not enough probable cause for a terry stop.

Declaration Of Independence

US Constitution

The Bill Of Rights

Michigan Constitution
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 7:20:14 AM EDT
[#1]
Very nice!   This should get added into the tacked threads at the top
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 9:43:20 PM EDT
[#2]
This should be tacked. Well done
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 10:40:51 PM EDT
[#3]
Good compilation, thanks! I agree it should be tacked.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 10:55:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Yes, please tack (pin) this post.  Ignorance is an epidemic, and this is a healthy dose of treatment.  Well needed by many people.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 6:25:40 PM EDT
[#5]

Am I reading that correctly?  If you have a CPL and are OCing, you can hang in previously named "no carry" zones?

ARnutt
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 7:02:53 PM EDT
[#6]
The FN SCAR 16S/17S, FN FS2000, and FN PS90 are considered pistols.
Link Posted: 9/16/2010 4:21:04 AM EDT
[#7]
I see this has been tacked now, I'm glad I could put up some useful information.
Link Posted: 9/16/2010 4:25:38 AM EDT
[Last Edit: S_A_C] [#8]
Originally Posted By ARnutt:

Am I reading that correctly?  If you have a CPL and are OCing, you can hang in previously named "no carry" zones?

ARnutt

Correct, as long as you have a CPL, and you are open carrying then there's no pistol free zones.  However places like Post Officers, Federal Reserve Banks, Federal Buildings, other Federal Facilities, and the secure area of airports would still be off limits do to Federal law, however as far as Michigan is concerned you can carry anywhere.
Link Posted: 9/16/2010 8:32:43 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By S_A_C:

ARnutt

Correct, as long as you have a CPL, and you are open carrying then there's no pistol free zones.  However places like Post Officers, Federal Reserve Banks, Federal Buildings, other Federal Facilities, and the secure area of airports would still be off limits do to Federal law, however as far as Michigan is concerned you can carry anywhere.

Still can't carry in school buildings(unclear about school property) iirc
Link Posted: 9/17/2010 5:29:25 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By Greg_W:
Originally Posted By S_A_C:

ARnutt

Still can't carry in school buildings(unclear about school property) iirc

Yes you can, see AG opinion 7113, it specifically addresses schools.
Link Posted: 9/15/2011 8:19:09 AM EDT
[#11]
oopps new to this list I think I posted this incorrectly the first time

any way nice list of legal cites
Link Posted: 9/15/2011 8:53:13 AM EDT
[#12]
If I may make a suggestion

I would add a link to Bardwell NFA FAQ ––I am sure there are many

Here is one

http://www.titleii.com/bardwell/nfa_faqhtml.html
Link Posted: 7/9/2014 3:48:48 PM EDT
[#13]
We also need these two together as they provide an avenue to not register hand guns in Michigan if you choose not to.

http://legislature.mi.gov/doc.aspx?mcl-28-422
http://legislature.mi.gov/doc.aspx?mcl-28-432

All that is needed is a Michigan CPL and a concealed pistol license from any other state.
Link Posted: 8/20/2022 5:22:35 PM EDT
[#14]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By dougwg:
We also need these two together as they provide an avenue to not register hand guns in Michigan if you choose not to.

http://legislature.mi.gov/doc.aspx?mcl-28-422
http://legislature.mi.gov/doc.aspx?mcl-28-432

All that is needed is a Michigan CPL and a concealed pistol license from any other state.
View Quote

Just updating this thread...

AG Opinion #7304 confirmed the above...

https://www.ag.state.mi.us/opinion/datafiles/2010s/op10383.htm
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top