Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/2/2010 5:35:14 PM EDT
I am interested in getting my conceal weapons permit and I am looking for the best instruction in southeast Michigan. I live in the area where US-23 and I-96 meet, so something that is within reasonable driving distance would be cool. I contacted Firing Line in Westland today, and they seemed to be pretty cool. They mentioned that School Craft college offers classes as well, but that's the first time I've heard of that.

Any recommendations?
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 5:49:34 PM EDT
[#1]
Check this link out:  Jericho Defense Services 2010 class dates

They are offering:

Sunday, September 12th - NRA's Basic Personal Protection in the Home class at Blue Water Sportsman Association Time 8 AM to 5 PM Cost $135 (this class will fulfill the State of Michigan requirements for a Concealed Pistol License application)

OK, not really close to the 23 & 96 area, but I have attended a few of their courses and they were great.  The instructors are good people just wanting to help you improve your skills; I feel it would be worth the drive.

Just my 0.02, hope it helps.
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 6:00:55 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks! Firing Line was $175 for an 8 to 8 session on Sept 19. I don't have any sort of handgun as of now, I was planning on renting one. A friend recently purchased a 1911 pistol, is there any way he could loan it to me to use for the class or is that against Michigan law?
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 10:44:45 PM EDT
[#3]
Hard to beat $99 at action impact.
Link Posted: 9/2/2010 10:52:40 PM EDT
[#4]
IM Sent.
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 1:28:07 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Thanks! Firing Line was $175 for an 8 to 8 session on Sept 19. I don't have any sort of handgun as of now, I was planning on renting one. A friend recently purchased a 1911 pistol, is there any way he could loan it to me to use for the class or is that against Michigan law?

That's the most expensive I've ever heard of.

Last year my wife and nephew took it together at GM.  'Couples' price was $75 each.

ETA:  GM in Taylor.  Call the 1 in Novi.
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 8:02:26 AM EDT
[#6]
MICPL.net

they're in Howell
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 9:23:52 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

My wife took it there and said it was horrible and unsafe the intrustor was pointing his gun at everyone and just being as ass. She tried to have the nra revoke his credentials. Not sure what happened after she talked to the NRA michigan guy but he was pissed and planed on paying him a visit. I recommend SAS gourp through double action top notch instruction.
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 11:33:23 AM EDT
[#8]
I took mine through the Wayne County Sheriff's office.  I think it was $125.

Classroom time was OK.  Finished there w/ some drills on the police simulator.  Shooting was performed at their range w/ their guns and ammo.  We shot significantly more than the minimum required.

K
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 6:20:11 PM EDT
[#9]
Too bad youre not in West Mi. The guy that helped write the law (Paul Ledford) teaches at Silver Bullet. It's incredible what he knows
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 6:28:49 PM EDT
[#10]
A Clinton County Sheriff  here in St Johns does a CPL class for 80.00 .  I think the classes are at Lansing Airport.   Call the number at the bottom of the page.

http://www.michiganccwclass.com/
Link Posted: 9/3/2010 11:30:11 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:

My wife took it there and said it was horrible and unsafe the intrustor was pointing his gun at everyone and just being as ass. She tried to have the nra revoke his credentials. Not sure what happened after she talked to the NRA michigan guy but he was pissed and planed on paying him a visit. I recommend SAS gourp through double action top notch instruction.

Who taught it and when? Next time I talk to the owner I'd like to ask him about it.

I just took a drawing from the holster/lowlight class, taught by the owner who is a lawyer and former cop with all kinds of "swat" certs and training, and was pleased with the bang for the buck, so to speak.
Link Posted: 9/4/2010 2:48:22 AM EDT
[#12]
My buddy took his at the Firing Line a few years ago and was given a ton of bad info. The kind that would land you in jail for a self defense shooting (head shots, empty a mag into the bad guy just to be sure). I took mine at at the Firearm exchange and thought it was very good. My only problem with the firearm exchange is one or two of the range guys are fucking idiots, but the owners are good people
Link Posted: 9/5/2010 12:45:06 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Who taught it and when? Next time I talk to the owner I'd like to ask him about it.

I just took a drawing from the holster/lowlight class, taught by the owner who is a lawyer and former cop with all kinds of "swat" certs and training, and was pleased with the bang for the buck, so to speak.

Some time in march.
Link Posted: 9/6/2010 6:38:25 AM EDT
[#14]
Top Gun in Taylor has a nice range and classroom.  I think it's $150 for a one day class.

The lady that taught my class told us that another students' Walther was made in England because it is James Bonds' gun.....I lol'd.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top