Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/17/2009 2:45:40 PM EDT
SAFR has been working on this for a couple months now.  Got the word today that the bill is ready to go.  Link to the story is here

OPSOMMER TO INTRODUCE "FIREARM OWNERSHIP EMPLOYEE PROTECTION ACT"
8/17/2009 4:32:05 PM
State Rep. Paul Opsommer announced today that he will be introducing a firearm ownership protection package, a group of bills designed to ensure that Michigan citizens who lawfully own firearms are not discriminated against in the hiring process or end up being fired because they are simply exercising their 2nd Amendment Rights.

"Unless firearm ownership is directly related to an established and bona fide occupational requirement for the job there is no reason for an employer to ask questions about whether a potential employee owns or knows how to use a gun", said Opsommer. "We also need to ensure that employers can not create over-reaching company policies that violate the Constitution and provide an excuse to terminate employees whose political views differ from those of management. People who lawfully own firearms and are following appropriate storage laws should not lose the ability to transport them in privately owned vehicles."

Such laws have been passed as recently as July in the case of Arizona, and have been passed in ten total states such as Florida and Oklahoma. The law was upheld there by the United States Court of Appeals for the Tenth Circuit after Oklahoma first passed it in response to a dozen employees being fired from their jobs at the Weyerhaeuser paper mill.

"A person who legally owns a firearm needs to have a way to store it as they are going to and from work, home, hunting, or any other lawful purpose", said Opsommer. "People shouldn't have to feel that their cars are going to be searched just because they told their boss they are going hunting after work."

Rep. Opsommer expects the bills to be introduced this week.
Link Posted: 8/17/2009 2:52:56 PM EDT
[#1]
+1 Opsommer is the man!! I've met him personally and he's a top knotch fella.
Link Posted: 8/17/2009 2:57:05 PM EDT
[#2]
WOOOOOO Friggin HOOOOOOO!!!!

Love it!

Link Posted: 8/17/2009 3:34:45 PM EDT
[#3]
"People who lawfully own firearms and are following appropriate storage laws should not lose the ability to transport them in privately owned vehicles."

What if you are assigned a company vehicle?  Seems like you would still be out of luck.

Raffi
Link Posted: 8/17/2009 3:53:20 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
"People who lawfully own firearms and are following appropriate storage laws should not lose the ability to transport them in privately owned vehicles."

What if you are assigned a company vehicle?  Seems like you would still be out of luck.

Raffi

If it's not your vehicle and someone doesn't want you keeping a firearm in it that's their buisness. I know people that have comany vehicles but there are stipulations as to when and who can drive them. If you don't like it, drive your own.
Link Posted: 8/17/2009 3:53:35 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Raffi

Well, it took a whole 9 minutes to get an answer (AMAZING).  Here is the response to my e-mail:

When this was vetted in court it is our understanding that the Oklahoma law was allowed to stand because it applied to privately owned vehicles.  So a company could pass a policy saying no guns on the premises, but they could not apply it to your privately owned car as long as the firearm was not in plain sight and a state law backed the gunowner.

With a company car, the company owns it, so then the power of property rights is on their side (they own the car).

Respectfully in Service,

Paul Opsommer's Office
State Representative, 93rd District
http://www.gophouse.com/news.asp?District=93
Link Posted: 8/18/2009 4:14:08 AM EDT
[#6]
Oh, we *so* need this to pass.
Time to start calling/writing!
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 6:35:29 AM EDT
[#7]
Took almost a month, but here's the reply I got from my local State Rep (Dian Slavens (D), 21st District):

Thank you for your email regarding Representative Opsommer's bill prohibiting employment discrimination based on firearm ownership.  I have done some research and see that the bill has already been introduced and placed in the Labor Committee.  Although I am not member of this committee, I will watch for this bill to progress to the House floor for a vote.  And should I be given the opportunity to cast my vote on this bill, I will certainly keep your support in mind.  

Please continue to keep me informed of issues or bills that are important to you.

Warm Regards,

Dian Slavens
State Representative
21st District
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 9:57:29 AM EDT
[#8]
Wow, this needs to be passed and passed now.  Get it done.
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 2:17:45 PM EDT
[#9]
I would rather they restrict the background check to the employers. They don't have to now what we have registered!
Link Posted: 9/16/2009 5:42:33 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

I would rather they restrict the background check to the employers. They don't have to now what we have registered!

Yes but right now, like me.  My employer has a policy of no firearms on company property, that includes vehicles in the parking lot.  If somebody was pissed at me and knew that I liked guns they could report me to security that they heard I have a gun in my car.  They search my vehicle, bam I am out of a job and on the street.  

Link Posted: 9/16/2009 7:03:25 PM EDT
[#11]
I would love to see this pass.  

My employer also has a no guns on site policy. But there is no where else to park other then on company property.

Oklahoma passed the legislation back in 2004/2005. I was living in OKC, and I had just got my CCW. Unfortunately all the stupid lawsuits, injunctions by a couple of large corporations, and the Brady Campaign delayed it.   It took until this year for the statute to be upheld.

http://www.nrapvf.org/News/Article.aspx?ID=356
Link Posted: 9/17/2009 2:41:25 PM EDT
[#12]
This is a good thing, and I will contact my reps to express my support.

Quoted:
If somebody was pissed at me and knew that I liked guns they could report me to security that they heard I have a gun in my car.  They search my vehicle, bam I am out of a job and on the street.    

Now to drift the thread just a bit, if you find yourself in this situation you should not allow them to search your vehicle. Even if they threaten you with your job. Because at the end of the day, it costs them money to obtain and train an employee. They will have to consider this before following through with terminating you because someone else says you're violating the policy, but they can't prove it. If you let them search and they find a firearm, they will surely terminate you.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top