Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/30/2009 4:12:25 PM EDT
Any one here in Michigan bagged any feral hogs?? I live west of Grand Rapids and do alot of hunting in the Cadillac  and Baldwin areas. I know hogs seem to be more common over near Gladwin, Clare and Midland but has anyone around the state done any good on hogs??

Mike
Link Posted: 7/30/2009 5:09:03 PM EDT
[#1]
Funny, I have lived here my entire life and NEVER EVER have I seen a wild hog in Michigan.
Link Posted: 7/30/2009 5:28:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Supposedly they're here.  I have yet to see one.  If I remember correctly (which means I could be wrong), I do not believe there is a bag limit and they can be shot anytime of the year.  If I am wrong, someone please correct me.
Link Posted: 7/30/2009 5:40:13 PM EDT
[#3]
It's open season you just need a current hunting license.
Link Posted: 7/30/2009 7:13:21 PM EDT
[#4]
check out michigan-sportsman.com, you'll find some good info there on MI feral pigs. Also the DNR site Michigan.gov/dnr has (or atleast used to) have a frequently updated map of where feral pigs are reported. They are here and on the rise. We have some in Washtenaw County and I know there are plenty elsewhere, just gotta know where to look.

J-
Link Posted: 7/30/2009 7:36:49 PM EDT
[#5]
I live near Lansing (Bath/Laingsburg area) supposedly just to the east of me in Shiawassee (sp?) county, they are paying a 50.00 per head bounty on them.  Of coarse...I get this info from a friend of mine that likes to hear himself talk!
Link Posted: 7/30/2009 7:41:37 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 7/31/2009 4:09:09 AM EDT
[#7]
Last year a buddy of mine saw 4 or 5 little ones while he was deer hunting in Manchester.  The night previous, he saw a sow at the butcher.

K
Link Posted: 7/31/2009 5:06:58 AM EDT
[#8]
I hunt in Gladwin county and haven't seen or heard of 1 nearby.
Link Posted: 7/31/2009 5:10:32 AM EDT
[#9]
I'm waiting want to try my night vision..

Link Posted: 7/31/2009 10:14:02 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Funny, I have lived here my entire life and NEVER EVER have I seen a wild hog in Michigan.

There's been an explosion of them in the past couple years, though I've yet to see any.
Link Posted: 7/31/2009 10:33:34 AM EDT
[#11]
Only tracks
Link Posted: 7/31/2009 11:05:52 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Y'all just need to frequent a nightclub or two. Trust me, hogs exist.

Thats not very nice!

BUT SOOOOOOO EVER TRUE!
Link Posted: 7/31/2009 5:12:11 PM EDT
[#13]
I've saw sign by the Rose Lake DNR range
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 6:26:09 AM EDT
[#14]
Saw what looked to be a dead one on south I-275 right by the I-94 exit a couple years ago. Pretty strange, wasn't sure they were this far east and south yet.
As one poster put it, shoot on sight with any current license.
pig sightings

From the MDNR site- DNR hog site:
State to hunters: Help eliminate feral swine
Wild swine pose a threat to domestic livestock, environment and individuals

Hunters with a valid hunting license of any type are encouraged to shoot feral swine (free-ranging wild pigs) in counties shaded in gray on the map below. All prevailing hunting rules and regulations apply. In states where feral swine have become established, they have caused crop damage, pose a serious threat to the health and welfare of the domestic swine, endanger humans, impact wildlife populations, and impact the environment by disrupting the ecosystem.

Michigan Counties that Allow the Shooting of Feral Swine

Feral Swine Sightings and Kills in Michigan-Map: 2001-2009 PDF

Feral Swine Sightings PDF

Feral Swine Kills PDF
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top