User Panel

Posted: 6/15/2009 5:57:02 PM EDT
I have the following firearms:
2 Aug clones (STG & AXR)
AK underfolder
12 ga Mossberg 590 18 inch bbl w/ folding stock
Glock 17 & 19
AR15 16inch bbl and collapsible stock

Which do I have to register as pistols? I know the Aug clones & AK UF are less then 30 inches but the AR and 12 are longer - I think.
What do I do? Just bring them to the local PD?
I dont want them to freak out.

Link Posted: 6/15/2009 6:11:50 PM EDT
[#1]
Check the Mossberg and your AR with the stocks fully folded/retracted. Anything Below 30 inches will have to be registered.

I assume you are just moving to Michigan and bringing your collection with you?

Go down to the local PD and get pistol purchase permits for each gun you will need to register. You can fill them all out yourself. If it's your first time, you will have to take a short, written safety test. 10 questions, very easy. (They still do that, right?)

Then fill out the forms, and bring them back to the PD, or mail them to MSP yourself (some guys recommend this).

ETA: You might want to call the Police station first, some have limited hours in which you can do this. My PD even requires an appointment.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 7:18:09 PM EDT
[#2]
do I need to bring the weapons to the PD?
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 7:50:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
do I need to bring the weapons to the PD?

No.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 8:29:47 PM EDT
[#4]
I used to hate to have to bring my weapons into the PD. They would always freak out, haha. The suburban soccer mom clerks really didn't like me!
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 8:51:33 PM EDT
[#5]
I'd be interested to see your thoughts in comparing the STG and AXR.  Hop on over to our bullpup forum and give us a review.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/forum.html?b=6&f=43
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 9:36:14 AM EDT
[#6]
Went to the local PD and they told me to go to the Sheriff's Office. Went to the SO and they told me that I don't need to register them since I have a house in another state which is my true residency. I also didn't need to change my CWP.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 10:38:21 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Went to the local PD and they told me to go to the Sheriff's Office. Went to the SO and they told me that I don't need to register them since I have a house in another state which is my true residency. I also didn't need to change my CWP.

Ah.  That info would've been helpful.  We could have saved you a couple trips if you had clarified.

This is the applicable law:

28.422(8) An individual who is not a resident of this state is not required to obtain a license under this section if all of the following conditions apply:

(a) The individual is licensed in his or her state of residence to purchase, carry, or transport a pistol.
(b) The individual is in possession of the license described in subdivision (a).
(c) The individual is the owner of the pistol he or she possesses, carries, or transports.
(d) The individual possesses the pistol for a lawful purpose as that term is defined in section 231a of the Michigan penal code, 1931 PA 328, MCL 750.231a.
(e) The individual is in this state for a period of 180 days or less and does not intend to establish residency in this state.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 1:30:36 PM EDT
[#8]
I'll be here for 2 years but will still keep my house in another state
I'll also keep my out of state DL and CWP
Thery said this is fine since my true residence in out f state
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 2:00:28 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I'll be here for 2 years but will still keep my house in another state
I'll also keep my out of state DL and CWP
Thery said this is fine since my true residence in out f state

I doubt you'd ever have any problems but staying in MI that long could easily be considered establishing residency according to the statute, especially if you are paying utilities, etc.  Surprisingly, most police depts. aren't aware of the nuances in the laws.  The non-resident section was just added this year.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 4:13:36 PM EDT
[#10]
that is what they told me

can I buy guns here if I have an out of state license
?
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 5:04:42 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
that is what they told me

can I buy guns here if I have an out of state license
?

Long guns, yes; handguns, no.  You could buy a handgun, but you'd have to have the dealer ship it to an FFL in your 'home' state.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top