Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/13/2009 7:22:22 PM EDT
SLR 107UR

The stock does fold.

Link Posted: 6/13/2009 7:46:14 PM EDT
[#1]
No, it's about an inch too short (needs to be at least 26" folded).

Your options are to have a muzzle device permanently installed (pistol) or have the stock pinned open (rifle) before you take ownership. From the factory it is considered an SBR by Michigan law.
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 8:25:41 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
No, it's about an inch too short (needs to be at least 26" folded).

Your options are to have a muzzle device permanently installed (pistol) or have the stock pinned open (rifle) before you take ownership. From the factory it is considered an SBR by Michigan law.

Does MI require permanent attachment of muzzle devices for them to be included in length calculations?  

Link Posted: 6/14/2009 6:44:21 AM EDT
[#3]
It isn't specifically written in the law, but my interpretation is "yes."

The law states is shortest firing form. If you can remove it, it will still fire, therefore too short.

Just last year there were multiple PD's who were removing muzzle devices before measuring these guns, and confiscating/not registering any that were too short. Silver solder, tack welds or a pin fixed those issues.

This is only a problem with the AK's that fold directly at the end of the receiver. The Bulgarian triangle folders, the full size folder listed above, underfolders and the AMD65 because it is 16" to the end of the muzzle device.

The rear trunion that sticks out about an inch is what saves the other types of folding guns, even sans muzzle brake. Wire folders, tapco, etc.

Link Posted: 6/14/2009 7:13:21 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
It isn't specifically written in the law, but my interpretation is "yes."

The law states is shortest firing form. If you can remove it, it will still fire, therefore too short.

Just last year there were multiple PD's who were removing muzzle devices before measuring these guns, and confiscating/not registering any that were too short. Silver solder, tack welds or a pin fixed those issues.

This is only a problem with the AK's that fold directly at the end of the receiver. The Bulgarian triangle folders, the full size folder listed above, underfolders and the AMD65 because it is 16" to the end of the muzzle device.

The rear trunion that sticks out about an inch is what saves the other types of folding guns, even sans muzzle brake. Wire folders, tapco, etc.

I was discussing this yesterday before trying out an AR pistol.  I thought Deb Smith told me that permanent attachment of the muzzle devices was not required.  It was a number of years ago.  Maybe my memory fails me, and obviously she is not the ultimate decider.  Trying to figure out what route I will take.

Link Posted: 6/14/2009 7:47:19 AM EDT
[#5]
It was discussed in depth here and MGO spring time of 08 I think. Some PD's were refusing to register certain guns because when the brake was removed, it was too short. I'm not sure what the exact solution was, though.

A compromise may be some industrial strength (green) loctite. It certainly won't be coming off without a lot of heat and proper tools, but it's still removable. YMMV. IANAL. WHTMA (We Have Too Many Acronyms).

Link Posted: 6/14/2009 5:24:07 PM EDT
[#6]
So on top of that long barrel I need an additional extension?? Crap
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 2:06:30 AM EDT
[#7]
The fake silencer will give you another inch or so.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 5:44:33 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Not the ones I've seen.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 8:29:16 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not the ones I've seen.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=8&f=39&t=364948
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 7:41:00 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not the ones I've seen.

Awesome, I wasn't aware of those. Sending the link to a buddy of mine who had to pin his Krink stock open because Kvar was too short.
Link Posted: 6/18/2009 12:52:02 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not the ones I've seen.

that would still need to be permanently attached, correct?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top