Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/12/2009 4:21:41 AM EDT
I looked through some of the past threads about this but couldn't find a solid answer.

What is the rule of thumb for a courteous (to the locals) time to start shooting at the Pit?  

I've got some .45 reloads to run through my Glock and maybe a few rounds through my FAL that I'd like to fire off Saturday.  I originally planned on shooting at 10:00am but getting there early to clean some of the crap up downrange.  Is this a decent plan?

BC
Link Posted: 6/12/2009 10:23:15 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I looked through some of the past threads about this but couldn't find a solid answer.

What is the rule of thumb for a courteous (to the locals) time to start shooting at the Pit?  

I've got some .45 reloads to run through my Glock and maybe a few rounds through my FAL that I'd like to fire off Saturday.  I originally planned on shooting at 10:00am but getting there early to clean some of the crap up downrange.  Is this a decent plan?

BC

Link Posted: 6/13/2009 5:08:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Got to the pit about 10:30 (woke up later than I wanted).  Place wasn't a mess but it wasn't clean either.   I spent about a half hour or so picking stuff up.  Pulled some big crap (a couple of tires, a mattress, some bowling pins, pieces of multiple televisions, etc.) up to the parking area.  Also picked up three large trash bags worth of plastic bottles and other stuff that I brought out with me.  

The FAL ran well.  I still suck at shooting with iron sights but I was holding my own at 50 yards on some targets and at 100 yards at some other leftover junk down range.  Had one bad primer that didn't light off one of my .308 reloads so I'll disassemble it and save the bullet, powder, and brass.  Glock ran like a top, as usual.

Got to meet a chance to meet and talk with a few new people.  Spoke with a gentleman who had a nice collection with him and graciously allowed me to put some rounds downrange with his AR pistol and select-fire HK33 (broke my full-auto cherry).  Many thanks for both chances and the conversation.  The happy switch experience had me grinning for AT LEAST a couple of hours.  I had my camera with me and am kicking myself for not asking to get a video.

I also met a couple of gentlemen who had some nice pistols and ARs.  It was good to meet and chat with both of ya.  Thanks for the letting me run your M&P9 Compact and allowing me to scoop up your brass.  I'll make sure to put it to good use and the M&P jumped up on my guns-to-buy list.  

All in all, a much better day than if I had spent it mowing my lawn and doing other chores.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 8:37:50 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 4:47:44 PM EDT
[#4]
I was there last weekend and some guy had a bunch of really high end toys. I shot his Barret M107 and tore the shit out of my elbows because I was wearing a T-shirt and laying down on all that busted up plastic, gravel and glass. Bled all over, it was worth it!
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 7:10:14 PM EDT
[#5]
I was up there last sunday and someone was telling me DNR is going to square the walls and bull doze the parking area to the full width of the pit. Anyone have any information on that? Or is it the usual bullshit?

Link Posted: 6/14/2009 7:46:29 PM EDT
[#6]
BC-98 Nice to talk to you and shoot that FAL.  Glad you liked the AR and HK items!

Here is an example of the C&R Colt you can own if you go to MN

http://www.sturmgewehr.com/webBBS/nfa4sale.cgi?read=118694
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 9:33:30 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
BC-98 Nice to talk to you and shoot that FAL.  Glad you liked the AR and HK items!

Here is an example of the C&R Colt you can own if you go to MN

http://www.sturmgewehr.com/webBBS/nfa4sale.cgi?read=118694

Whats MN, Minnesota?

Link Posted: 6/16/2009 4:55:17 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Whats MN, Minnesota?

Yup, Minnesota.  My wife was let go from her job in Michigan and got a job in MN with Federal.  I'm trying to find an engineering position there so I can move over ASAP.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top