Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/4/2009 2:53:22 AM EDT
I have a possible use for a lawyer for a custody case.

looking for opinions.

or a lead on any good family law lawyers in S.E. Mich
Link Posted: 6/4/2009 3:13:55 PM EDT
[#1]
I love those guys!

They completely raped my ex.

But he was an evil bastard so he deserves it and some kind of intestinal amoeba, to boot.

Anyway, the small, lovely details I can recall: Well after I had voluntarily submitted all my 401k documentatiion to hs attorney, they subpoenaed it. After I gave them all my bank statements, they subpoenaed the records. Payroll records, even though I gave them all that? Subpoena! There was some other stuff, too, but I forget the rest of it. I was amused, though. Subpoenas are easily to get..and expensive when you're the sucker paying for them. No idea what they whole cost was, but I'm guessing it wasn't cheap. After all wimmenz are evil and those guys were gonna save him!

I figure he got what he was asking for. He ended up with the better deal but that was because he was a bum, not because of his stunningly inept attorney.

They got what they deserved, too, a stupid client who fired them the day of the final hearing and didn't show up for court. I could have completely hosed him (and in retrospect, I should have.)

As far as custody, if you request it and don't have a record of child molesting, odds are you'll get at least joint and depending on your ex's situation, the kids age/preferences, and frankly, the two party's ability to outspend each other, maybe sole physical.

Ah..the memories. Anytime I start wondering why I'm single, I'm going to have to come back and read this.

ETA: Oh! Yeah! I remember the best one..he knew I was tired of his crap and I told him I was filing for divorce the next week. Those morons told him if he filed but didn't have me served, I couldn't then file, and there was nothing I could do, and we'd be married forever and ever, amen. What they neglected to tell him is that I could go to the courthouse, pick up the papers and "serve myself" which I did. He was umm..upset.

Heh..wow, can't believe I typed all that. I've got friends here who have known me for years and probably never heard me mention my ex..or figure I just buried him somewhere. FWIW, it was a lot uglier than even that appears..he truly was a piece of shit.
Link Posted: 6/4/2009 5:46:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Whoever you go with it will cost. Be careful of "large" firms. My suggestion would be Chris Mengel ( Berkley & Mengel) in Royal Oak.
248 586 0200. Good guy & experienced in custody.
Good luck,
Norton
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 5:58:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I love those guys!

They completely raped my ex.

But he was an evil bastard so he deserves it and some kind of intestinal amoeba, to boot.

Anyway, the small, lovely details I can recall: Well after I had voluntarily submitted all my 401k documentatiion to hs attorney, they subpoenaed it. After I gave them all my bank statements, they subpoenaed the records. Payroll records, even though I gave them all that? Subpoena! There was some other stuff, too, but I forget the rest of it. I was amused, though. Subpoenas are easily to get..and expensive when you're the sucker paying for them. No idea what they whole cost was, but I'm guessing it wasn't cheap. After all wimmenz are evil and those guys were gonna save him!

I figure he got what he was asking for. He ended up with the better deal but that was because he was a bum, not because of his stunningly inept attorney.

They got what they deserved, too, a stupid client who fired them the day of the final hearing and didn't show up for court. I could have completely hosed him (and in retrospect, I should have.)

As far as custody, if you request it and don't have a record of child molesting, odds are you'll get at least joint and depending on your ex's situation, the kids age/preferences, and frankly, the two party's ability to outspend each other, maybe sole physical.

Ah..the memories. Anytime I start wondering why I'm single, I'm going to have to come back and read this.

ETA: Oh! Yeah! I remember the best one..he knew I was tired of his crap and I told him I was filing for divorce the next week. Those morons told him if he filed but didn't have me served, I couldn't then file, and there was nothing I could do, and we'd be married forever and ever, amen. What they neglected to tell him is that I could go to the courthouse, pick up the papers and "serve myself" which I did. He was umm..upset.

Heh..wow, can't believe I typed all that. I've got friends here who have known me for years and probably never heard me mention my ex..or figure I just buried him somewhere. FWIW, it was a lot uglier than even that appears..he truly was a piece of shit.

Didn't I meet the two of you when you first got engaged?

I was at an MCRGO annual thing at the Lansing Center.
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 6:12:15 PM EDT
[#4]
Nope, not me.. that was 2002, and I wasn't there and he was history by then.

Link Posted: 6/13/2009 7:30:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I just drew my own conclusions from those heavy garbage bags you had me help you with a while ago.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 5:33:12 AM EDT
[#6]
You told me it was a Garden.......

Lime, shovel and a cordless sawzall.......
boy am i Stupid
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 7:06:30 PM EDT
[#7]
I thought that was just a typical date for you?

Link Posted: 6/15/2009 4:57:20 AM EDT
[#8]
I used FRED. And yes it was expensive , but I got everything I wanted and more. I did most of the leg work to pick things up and what not so I could save some money. But all in all, its just one of those games knowing what you need to know is the battle, but getting others to look at your paper work is a whole other war.

Good luck. I would recomend FRED if you have the money to do so. If not, then I would get recomendations. Definitely DO NOT USE JOESPH TOIA. I had him originally and he loused things up pretty good, I gave him a second chance and he made it even worse. So I fired him and went to FRED. I had Barbra Smith as my attorney.

Just keep track of everything you do and how much its costing.

Good luck.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top