Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/17/2008 1:16:49 PM EDT
Purchased a rifle for the old man and I plan to on bringing it to him next week. He lives in Michigan, I live in Florida. I'd rather not pay the double FFL fees (the rifle is a surprise) and just travel with it, but if there is no legal way of doing it, I'm out of options.
The rifle will be mine again down the road, but it is a gift right now. I'm almost certain this scenario constitutes change of ownership and being over state lines, I would be committing felony.
Any recommendations or advice.
Again, I am not trying to circumvent the law, and I dont want to break the law.

Thanks,
Mike

Link Posted: 11/18/2008 9:28:43 AM EDT
[#1]
"The Federal Gun Control Act of 1968 generally prohibits the transportation into or receipt in the state where a person resides of a firearm obtained outside of that state."

You could ship the gun to a FFL and have your dad pick it up there.  I don't see where you would need two FFL transfers.

The big question is, if you give dad the rifle here, he actually obtained it here and not out of state.  It is a fine line to tow and i expect trouble if it ever came up.  For the $25 bucks or whatever to have a FFL "sell" it to him it would be a lot less trouble.

I don't know of any MI laws to cover this, the quoted section is from federal firearm transfer laws.

Joe
Link Posted: 11/18/2008 11:20:39 AM EDT
[#2]
So do I need to find an FFL in Michigan who will accept a transfer from a Non-FFL?
I know most FFLs will not accept transfers unless they are coming from another FFL when transferring handguns, but is it different for rifles?
That is why I was assuming a double FFL fee.
Link Posted: 11/18/2008 1:04:03 PM EDT
[#3]
That's a very good question... I gave my dad an AR-15 this weekend that I purchased from a gun show. Michigan resident to Michigan resident. There should be no issues right?
Link Posted: 11/18/2008 2:04:05 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm a Florida resident, he is a Michigan resident.
Link Posted: 11/18/2008 2:29:39 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
That's a very good question... I gave my dad an AR-15 this weekend that I purchased from a gun show. Michigan resident to Michigan resident. There should be no issues right?

thats fine
Link Posted: 11/18/2008 2:31:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I'm a Florida resident, he is a Michigan resident.

theoretically, if you came up here to "hunt', and he expressed an interest in the rifle, and you decided to gift it to him at that time, you should be good to go, but if you want, drive it up, and just go to a FFL for a transfer while you are here

honestly, if you drove up here with it, and gave it to him, i doubt there would be an issue, but that's just my opinion
Link Posted: 11/18/2008 8:08:38 PM EDT
[#7]
Ok, well, think of this in practical terms.

If you transported the gun up here, and gifted it to him, how would anyone who could make trouble for you or him, find out, and on what grounds could they make trouble?
Link Posted: 11/19/2008 3:17:57 PM EDT
[#8]
IMO, if the rifle was in Michigan at the time you gave it to him you are good to go.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top