Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/15/2008 11:13:22 PM EDT
I'm not looking for open heart surgery techniques just a nice simple basic course that involves CPR and basic life saving techniques.  Back in my high school days I took such a course through JROTC and still remember some but have forgotten most as high school is almost 15 years behind me.  I was thinking about OCC or the like but i'd prefer a place that specializes on these types of courses. I also need it to be a night course as I work and would like my wife to take it as well. Can anyone suggest anything? Thanks. Joe

BTW i'm in Oakland county
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 3:29:23 AM EDT
[#1]
Call your local fire department.  Most of them offer a class once a month for a nominal fee.
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 6:56:50 AM EDT
[#2]
I just did my ACLS recert with the new protocols, and can tell you all you need to know about CPR right here.

If all else fails and you don't do anything else, if they aren't responsive, and you don't find a pulse, just get on the chest and start doing compressions at a rate of 100/min.

Better initial assessment with rescue breaths is of course better, but if all else fails, just keep pumping that heart.

This will probably help answer your question:

The "Stayin' Alive" song was chosen on purpose. It's rhythm happens to be 100 beats/min, the rate at which you should give chest compressions. And it really isn't rocket science.

handsonlycpr.eisenberginc.com/

www.americanheart.org/presenter.jhtml?identifier=3011764

Link Posted: 10/16/2008 6:59:58 AM EDT
[#3]
And for combined CPR/AED/first aid:

www.semredcross.org/index.php?section=29
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 1:01:06 PM EDT
[#4]
Community colleges, etc. offer EMT-B classes for a decent fee.   Will last longer and be more involved but it's quite worth it IMHO.   Found mine couple years ago in Monroe for $600 2 night/Wk  4 mnths.  Think price went up to $800 now though.
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 2:48:05 PM EDT
[#5]
I'd definitely suggest a class at your community college, as they are way better than any of the day training things, and give you much more hands on knowledge.  I still remember everything from mine 2 years ago.
Link Posted: 10/16/2008 6:16:40 PM EDT
[#6]
Mobile Medical Response is Saginaw   Kinda a drive but....
Link Posted: 10/18/2008 9:40:29 AM EDT
[#7]
Contact your local chapter of the American Red Cross. Our chapter in Ann Arbor has clsses all the time.

You can even sign up online.
Link Posted: 10/18/2008 3:16:15 PM EDT
[#8]
I'd be happy to help,  19year Firefighter/Paramedic Instructor.  My prices are reasonable and training can be made to fit your needs.  Oakland Co.
Plus I'm a Hunter/Shooter-3gun, IDPA, Clays, Sniper.  Anyone interested, let me know.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top