Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/20/2008 8:05:29 AM EDT
I will be going from Buffalo, NY to WA state and I would like to purchase a handgun along the way so I can proteect myself during the trip. I am looking for a glock 23. I cannot purchase one in NY as i turn 21 2 days before i leave and the permit take 6-8 months. Would i be able to purchase a handgun in MI?
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 8:16:01 AM EDT
[#1]
Sorry no. In MI you need a pistol permit and you have to be a resident. Only exception would be if your a FFL holder.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 9:09:04 AM EDT
[#2]
you could purchase one  and have it shipped to a FFL in your local area (home state) to pick up later.....bring copy of FFL to be shipped to and pic ID.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 9:14:18 AM EDT
[#3]
Unless you are an FFL, and you aren't if you are just 20 y/o/a at this time, then you cannot purchase a pistol in any state other than that in which you maintain residency.  That is a requirement set forth in the 1968 Gun Control Act.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 9:17:31 AM EDT
[#4]
I will be 21.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 9:27:55 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Unless you are an FFL, and you aren't if you are just 20 y/o/a at this time, then you cannot purchase a pistol in any state other than that in which you maintain residency.  That is a requirement set forth in the 1968 Gun Control Act.

Quoted:
I will be 21.

Being 21 doesn't matter. Read the above again. You can't purchase a handgun in any state except that of your legal residency.

The only sort of exception is to buy it in another state, and have it shipped back to an FFL in your state of residence to be picked up/transferred to you when you get home.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 12:17:24 PM EDT
[#6]
So you can't buy it from a private party either?  Say he knows someone in Michigan(or any state in between) that can buy a pistol, registersafety inspect it in there name and then transfer/sell the pistol to him when he comes through???
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 12:34:21 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
... I would like to purchase a handgun along the way so I can proteect myself during the trip...

Protect you from what?
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 12:35:45 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
So you can't buy it from a private party either?  Say he knows someone in Michigan(or any state in between) that can buy a pistol, registersafety inspect it in there name and then transfer/sell the pistol to him when he comes through???

Sure, if you want to go to jail.  
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 12:59:52 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

You're still forgetting federal law.

Interstate sales of firearms must go through an FFL.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 2:13:27 PM EDT
[#10]
Oh come on guys, isnt there anyone here that wants to commit a felony to help a guy out? I'm sure he's a nice guy.
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 2:33:00 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:
... I would like to purchase a handgun along the way so I can proteect myself during the trip...

Protect you from what?

Please...

you can't fault somebody for wanting to take a pistol with them for personal protection.

Link Posted: 7/20/2008 3:25:57 PM EDT
[#12]
An out of state resident cannot purchase or possess a handgun in MI unless he has a CCW or is a member of the military.  

The catch is that MI requires you to have it registered to possess it, and you cannot have it registered unless you are a resident.  There is legislature to correct this for matches, etc., but I don't know where this is at currently.

Link Posted: 7/20/2008 5:35:51 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
<snip>The catch is that MI requires you to have it registered to possess it<snip>

oh yeah...forgot about that...
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 5:47:23 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Protect you from what?

Please...

you can't fault somebody for wanting to take a pistol with them for personal protection.

Link Posted: 7/20/2008 7:30:31 PM EDT
[#15]
could he posibly purchase a rifle or shotgun?
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 10:05:04 PM EDT
[#16]
I am active duty. Still not possible?
Link Posted: 7/20/2008 10:58:18 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
I am active duty. Still not possible?

I quote this a lot here:

From the Aug06 MSP Legal Update:

Generally, persons from other states may not possess a pistol in Michigan unless they are a police officer or a concealed pistol license holder.

MCL 28.422 requires a person to obtain a License to Purchase before they purchase, transport, or carry a pistol in Michigan. MCL 28.422(3)(c) requires that a person be a “legal resident of this state” in order to obtain a license (which begins the registration process). The only exception in that statute is for active-duty military members, who have 30 days after returning to Michigan to register a pistol.

Other exceptions to the registration requirement can be found in MCL 28.432. That statute includes an exception for concealed pistol license holders from other states. Active and retired police officers are exempted from the registration requirements by federal law (The Law Enforcement Officers Safety Act, 19 USC 926B, et seq). That Act allows active and retired police officers to transport a pistol anywhere in the United States notwithstanding state firearms laws, provided they meet the requirements of the Act.

The bottom line under these statutes is that persons from other states may not bring a pistol into Michigan unless they are a police officer or hold a CPL from their state of residence. There are no exceptions for persons who wish to bring a pistol to Michigan to hunt or target shoot.

I think with the military clause that you would have to be a resident or intend to be a resident after your tour.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top