Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/26/2006 7:47:49 PM EDT
Well, I have a Springfield Armory compact 1911 that I want to sell.  What is the procedure for selling a pistol in MI or is it too much hassle to be worth it?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 8:29:34 PM EDT
[#1]
Buyer gets purchase permit, has 10 days to meet with you

Buyer and you fill out and sign Permit, you get the top copy...try to bring a photocopy of your green inspection card for the background check (they claim it avoids delay)

Buyer takes everything back to his local Po-Po to get an inspection and they transfer it to him!

I like to draw up a sales receipt for both parties, and if possible meet the buyer/seller at their/your Po-po office to do the swap!
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 8:52:58 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

Buyer and you fill out and sign Permit, you get the top copy...try to bring a photocopy of your green inspection card for the background check (they claim it avoids delay)

Buyer takes everything back to his local Po-Po to get an inspection and they transfer it to him!

I like to draw up a sales receipt for both parties, and if possible meet the buyer/seller at their/your Po-po office to do the swap!

what background check?  any checks should have been done when the buyer gets their purchase permit, right?
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 5:33:48 AM EDT
[#3]
It has to be notarized.....
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 6:21:10 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Quoted:

what background check?  any checks should have been done when the buyer gets their purchase permit, right?

Correct the buyer is verified when picking up the purchase permit, and it has to be noterized...having a copy of your permit helps them verify the last owner of the firearm..etc

RD
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 6:26:55 AM EDT
[#5]
I recently bought a P22 from my dad because I am 18 so I can't buy one for myself from a dealer. It was really easy all i did was go to the sherrifs office and get a purchase permit and then return the next day with the pistol to get it inpected and all that stuff and i got tranfered to my name. I didn't need anything else besides my perchase permit with the bottom 2 sections filled out and signed.
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 7:18:42 AM EDT
[#6]
If the buyer has a CCW, all they have to do is fill out a form that they can pick up from the local PD. Then, you and the buyer fill out the form and you get a copy. They pay you, and they walk away with a nice pistol. After that, the buyer has up to 10 days (IIRC) to take the pistol in to register it. They don't have to have a purchase permit and there is no waiting period. All you need is that form. It makes it a lot easier.

Hope this helps.

Kris

BTW, how much and where in MI are you?
Link Posted: 3/27/2006 9:10:57 AM EDT
[#7]
IMO, F2F is the best way to sell a handgun.  Even if you have to drive a ways.  You get to save on shipping and transfer fees, plus meet a new Michigan Crew member.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 10:09:33 AM EDT
[#8]
Here is the form you use if selling to a MI resident who has a CPL

http://www.michigan.gov/documents/ri-060_6454_7.pdf

MSP Pistol Sales Form

You can fill in all the information right there and print it out and then you both just need to sign all 3 copies...

One goes to the buyer and the seller takes the other two.
The seller must send one into the MSP within 10 days (I always send it certified just so I have proof in my records I sent it if anything was to go wrong but thats not required)

Buyer must take the pistol into the local LE within 10 days with his copy of the form for its "Safety Inspection"

When the buyer has a CPL no green card is needed.

Now for some reason if you live in Oakland County where there is no PD and have to register it at the Oakland County building they require you have a copy of the sellers green card in order to prove it was properly registered.  I do not understand that but I have friends who have to deal with it and have told me they are a pain and sticklers about that...
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 4:23:20 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Here is the form you use if selling to a MI resident who has a CPL

http://www.michigan.gov/documents/ri-060_6454_7.pdf

MSP Pistol Sales Form

You can fill in all the information right there and print it out and then you both just need to sign all 3 copies...

One goes to the buyer and the seller takes the other two.
The seller must send one into the MSP within 10 days (I always send it certified just so I have proof in my records I sent it if anything was to go wrong but thats not required)

Buyer must take the pistol into the local LE within 10 days with his copy of the form for its "Safety Inspection"

When the buyer has a CPL no green card is needed.

Now for some reason if you live in Oakland County where there is no PD and have to register it at the Oakland County building they require you have a copy of the sellers green card in order to prove it was properly registered.  I do not understand that but I have friends who have to deal with it and have told me they are a pain and sticklers about that...

good info, but that last part just isnt true, and i have had 0 problem with them, even with the more....exotic.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 6:12:32 AM EDT
[#10]
NOT CORRECT:

Now for some reason if you live in Oakland County where there is no PD and have to register it at the Oakland County building they require you have a copy of the sellers green card in order to prove it was properly registered. I do not understand that but I have friends who have to deal with it and have told me they are a pain and sticklers about that...

I live in Oakland county and have picked up several guns, I take them all to my local PD. To do the paper work!! The only time you take them to the sheriff dept. is if they(Sheriff Dept.) patrols your area.  and is Considered  your police deperment.  and you do not have a local PD.

And I use the CCW and they have never ask me for more than the form.
SM  
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 6:25:35 AM EDT
[#11]
Just as a follow up: I just talked to the girls in Records (gun Reg.) and they confirmed that the form
form
posted above is all you need if you have a CCW.
SM
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 10:47:07 AM EDT
[#12]
Reread my post...
It clearly says WHEN YOU LIVE IN A CITY WITH NO LOCAL PD (ie cities the SD patrols)

Also yes if you are one of the ones who have to go to the Oakland County Building you will have to have a copy of the sellers green card.  This does not apply to the local PDs as I have never had a problem with the FHPD BUT I have 2 friends whove encountered this problem and was there and saw someone else go through it.

From what I overheard myself when this was going on and from what the woman told a friend who was trying to register a pistol he bought from his father there that somehow the MI law is unlear on if a CPL holder needs a green card or not.  Most cities do not require it but at the Oakland County building for some reason they choose to require it....

Now if my friends both encountered the same woman and I overheard some guy who was dealing with that same woman I dont know but as I said I have heard this from two people who both had the problem at the O. C. building as well as seeing it in person.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 10:59:36 AM EDT
[#13]

Now if my friends both encountered the same woman and I overheard some guy who was dealing with that same woman I dont know but as I said I have heard this from two people who both had the problem at the O. C. building as well as seeing it in person.

The people at the (O. C. building ) As you call it, Or( Oakland County Records and Gun registration) It posted name: They are the ones I talked too. And I posted what they said,
I have used them for years(before I moved out in the sticks, Never had a problem unless I gave them one.
Sm
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 11:05:21 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

The people at the (O. C. building ) As you call it, Or( Oakland County Records and Gun registration) It posted name: They are the ones I talked too. And I posted what they said,
I have used them for years(before I moved out in the sticks, Never had a problem unless I gave them one.
Sm

well i guess if you base everyhting on hear say, and not actuall experence  ( like me, i have personally regestered over a half dozen handguns there in the last year or so, i can also give you the name and number of several people that work over there that will agree) this is arfcom, so let the bull shit roll.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 7:58:48 PM EDT
[#15]
Great FTF experience!  Great meeting a fellow ARfcommer!  Thanks shop_rat45!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top