Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/19/2006 3:17:16 AM EDT
And in a round about way it basically says, Opinion 7183 was to cover ONLY those items specifically mentioned in the opinion..i.e "Machinge Guns"

However they also stated that a member of the legislature (Leon Drolet?) Has inquired about a similar issue, and they are looking into the matter, hopefully anothe rpositive opinion will be out shortly..

That is all!

Verbage from the letter:

Dear, Archangel6:(No I didn't ask the question with this name)

The Attorney General has asked me to respond to your request asking whether, in light of a recently issued opinion of the Attorney General, OAG, 2005-2006, No7183, P___(December 27, 2005), a private citizen may obtain a sound suppressor.

Although we apologize for the delay in responding to you and would like to be helpful in answering your question concerning the legality of Michigan citizens possessing sound suppressors, we are not authorized to give advice you have requested. By statute, it is the duty of the Attorney General “to give his opinion upon all questions of law submitted to him by the legislature or either branch thereof, or by the governor…or any other state officer” MCL 14.32. Since private citizens are not included in the statute as among those who may request as Attorney General opinion, we are not authorized to give the opinion you have requested.

However, we can inform you that opinions issued by the Attorney general generally should be understood to address only the questions and circumstances discussed in the opinion. Thus, as a general matter, an opinion addressing the application of particular statutes to a specific inquiry should not be understood as applying more broadly than as stated in that opinion. Therefore, OAG No 7183, is limited to the specific facts of the opinion.

Nevertheless, a member of the Legislature has sought the Attorney General’s opinion on an issue similar to your inquiry and we are currently working on a response. If you would like to receive a copy of our response to the legislator when it issues, we will be happy to send it to you. Please refer to it as file Number 2006002051 in your request.

In hope this information is helpful

Sincerely,

Chief Deputy Attorney general
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 4:32:03 AM EDT
[#1]
Well that kind of sucks! Can you scan or email me a copy please? [email protected]
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 4:52:38 AM EDT
[#2]
I think we'll be ok.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 5:14:30 AM EDT
[#3]
Here is a copy of the clarification request letter from State Rep. Leon Drolet. I certainly hope the AG does not intend to tell us the same thing! That would be a travesty! If that becomes the case we will have to submit a full blown opinion request which is what we wanted from Drolet to start with on the silencer issue. In fact we submitted a full blown AG Opinion request to Drolet. For whatever reason Drolet thought the clarification letter request would be acceptable to resolve the issue. At any rate we will have to cross that bridge when it is presented to us.

home.comcast.net/~sessa7106/ClarificationrequestDrolet.pdf

And a copy of our original full blown AG Opinion request after I check with Kerry about posting it.
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 8:53:46 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Well that kind of sucks! Can you scan or email me a copy please? [email protected]

If I can gain access to a scanner I sure will..

RD
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 2:00:30 AM EDT
[#5]
Archangel6 - Was their a document number attached such as 2006........?
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 2:16:00 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Archangel6 - Was their a document number attached such as 2006........?

Link Posted: 3/20/2006 7:07:45 AM EDT
[#7]
Like I said, I think we'll be ok.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 7:10:48 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Like I said, I think we'll be ok.

Im sure we WILL be eventually!
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 3:16:31 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 2:57:14 PM EDT
[#10]
Tag.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 10:00:24 PM EDT
[#11]
Tag
Link Posted: 3/23/2006 1:09:59 PM EDT
[#12]
We will be OK if we get Jen Jen out of office...
Shes trying to do everything she can to get this turned around...

She wants us to have laws like Canada when it comes to owning firearms and as if thats not bad enough shes already turned us into Canadas garbage dump...

Seriously, Canada has a LOT more open land than we do here in MI so why do we have to take their damn trash?????

I am about to start a campaign and have all the signs made up saying "ANYONE BUT JEN!!!!"  

OK I am not really going to do that but damn do I feel like it, we would be better off with Bonzo the Chimp in office than her...
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 2:38:41 AM EDT
[#13]
I'd be shocked if Grandhole even knew about this Opinion....
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top