Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/12/2006 3:27:34 PM EDT
Okay, in Lumpys thread on his MAC (sorry again for the hijacking!) I saw a pic of a nice short shotgun that is apparently an AOW as  it was manufactured by a class 2 FFL from a virgin receiver.  

So I then presume to obtain something similar, all I need to do (besides the paperwork and tax stamp) would be to find a class 2 FFL, and a source for parts (if they don't have this, which they probably do). So, does anyone have a C2 they can recommend? Any specifics I need to know before I embark on this project? I'm thinking a Remington 870 with a 14 inch barrel and a chicken head grip. Nothing fancy, just meat and potatoes. Just sounds like a fun gun!

Thoughts, input, suggestions, anything? Thanks in advance!
Link Posted: 3/12/2006 3:38:07 PM EDT
[#1]

Oringinally bosted by bumpOx in Lumpy's thread

Yes, you can Form 1 an AOW in MI and make it yourself or you can purchase one that was made by an 07/02 FFL. If you Form 1 the AOW, the receiver would have to leave the factory w/o a buttstock and never have one installed and you would pay $200 for the tax stamp to make it. You can also have an 07/02 FFL make an AOW for you (same rules apply about the buttstock) but it would transfer to you on a $5 tax stamp

Thanks! Sounds like my best route (cheapest anyway) is to go with the FFL making one. Anyone recommend one in SE Michigan?

Hope you don't mind, I copied your response over to this thread.
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 10:05:57 AM EDT
[#2]
I was looking at one of these as well but lost interest when I found out I could not carry it as a trunk gun or use it for anything other than range use or home defense even though I have a CPL.

Link Posted: 3/13/2006 11:03:09 AM EDT
[#3]
bump

I'll play.  Was going to do another 870 project this spring anyway.  

And anyone who tells you that your collection is complete without a door breaching shotgun has obviously never lost his keys.  

Looking forward to insight from those in the know with good contacts.  

Thanks,
Link Posted: 3/13/2006 12:27:40 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Oringinally bosted by bumpOx in Lumpy's thread

Yes, you can Form 1 an AOW in MI and make it yourself or you can purchase one that was made by an 07/02 FFL. If you Form 1 the AOW, the receiver would have to leave the factory w/o a buttstock and never have one installed and you would pay $200 for the tax stamp to make it. You can also have an 07/02 FFL make an AOW for you (same rules apply about the buttstock) but it would transfer to you on a $5 tax stamp

Thanks! Sounds like my best route (cheapest anyway) is to go with the FFL making one. Anyone recommend one in SE Michigan?

Hope you don't mind, I copied your response over to this thread.

No problem TBone.

Just an FYI, you can have any 07/02 in the country make the AOW for you and transfer it tax free to a local dealer who then transfers it to you w/ a $5 stamp.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 11:45:03 AM EDT
[#5]
http://www.g-man-weaponry.com/Short_Barrel_Shotguns.htm

Here you go T-bone.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 1:03:01 PM EDT
[#6]
750.222 Definitions.

(I) “Short-barreled shotgun” means a shotgun having 1 or more barrels less than 18 inches in length or a weapon made from a shotgun, whether by alteration, modification, or otherwise, if the weapon as modified has an overall length of less than 26 inches.

In order for a weapon to be a SBS it must first be a shotgun, i.e., “I) “Short-barreled shotgun” means a shotgun . . . .”  Is an AOW a shotgun?  A shotgun is defined as

750.222 (h) “Shotgun” means a firearm designed or redesigned, made or remade, and intended to be fired from the shoulder and designed or redesigned and made or remade to use the energy of the explosive in a fixed shotgun shell to fire through a smooth bore either a number of ball shot or a single projectile for each single function of the trigger.

A shotgun is a firearm designed to be fired from the shoulder.  An AOW “shotgun” has no shoulder stock and has never had a shoulder stock, thus it is not designed to be fired from the shoulder, and thus it is not a shotgun as defined.  Not being a shotgun it cannot be a SBS by definition.  It is an AOW and Michigan has no law on AOWs, which is to say Michigan residents are Free in this regard.  

There is some dispute that an AOW must be safety inspected as a pistol.  A “Pistol” means a loaded or unloaded firearm that is 30 inches or less in length, or a loaded or unloaded firearm that by its construction and appearance conceals itself as a firearm.  An AOW is a firearm 30 inches or less in length.  I believe that it must be presented for safety inspection.

If you do so, take your approved Form 1 showing that the firearm is an AOW, not an SBS.  I can also post an ATF letter on legal possession of the super shorty in Michigan.  I would take both to the PD as well as Deb Smith’s phone number at MSP, because that is the person the PD will contact.  Also if you have an approved Form 1, it means the Chief of the Department has already signed off and will look silly if they don’t inspect it as a pistol.  My 2 cents.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 2:17:19 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 3:14:57 PM EDT
[#8]
Yes Michigan Man - please email me a copy of that letter. I have an OA93 AOW which is an AR15 pistol with a vertical front grip. I got it during the AW ban and had Debra Smith review the sales add on Bowers NFA for sale board. As soon as my instate FFL C3 transfered it to me I took it to the Sheriffs dept (Macomb) and registered it as a pistol. The girl behind the counter was gone with the gun for awhile - hehehehe. She came back with it and had to call MSP and get a new category for it in the registration database!!

email me a copy of the letter to Mike Sessa  [email protected]
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 7:54:03 PM EDT
[#9]
MichMan1, thanks for the link. Cool stuff there! All good educational stuff here, and if you could post that ATF letter, seems like it'd benefit us all. Thanks again!

Oh, and that link made hot for those who want to have a look....
Link to cool AOW's
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 4:23:48 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 3/16/2006 9:47:44 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 5:46:00 PM EDT
[#12]
Ok, I sent it to bust-off and he will post, probably a new thread.  I have a legal analysis too for what its worth.  I'll send that along next week in a pdf.  It might help the next guy.
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 6:22:44 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 3/17/2006 6:31:52 PM EDT
[#14]
And here is a copy of an email from MSP Debra Smith.

home.comcast.net/~sessa7106/AOW.pdf
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top