Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/27/2006 11:50:21 AM EDT
Oh my god! Is this not the biggest political scam for our State to get money from its citizens?! Has anyone been nailed by this yet?

Heres my story. Had a "Expired Plate Tabs" ticket from 7 years ago I failed to pay, honestly I never knew I even had it. I was under the impression my driving record was cleared. I never received a notice to pay this ticket. I recently got pulled over and went to jail because my license was suspended, never was informed of the suspension either. I tried to explain this to the officer that pulled me over and it didnt matter to him, I also should add this is the same Officer that I see up at a local bar getting wasted with his other cop buddies and then proceed to drive home drunk. So I paid the expired license plate tab ticket which was now $595 after 7 years, had to pay $300 for bail, $200 impound fee. Another $250 for the suspended drivers license ticket plus $50 for court fees, and now I have to pay $500 each year for 2 years as part of the new Michigan Drivers Responsibility Fee, and also $125 license reinstatement fee!

For those who aren't counting thats a total of $2520!

This is ridiculous. This has nothing to do with keeping our roads safe, this is purely about $$$. This is a terrible shame upon our State.

Does anyone know of any independent lobbyist groups working to fight this new law?
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 1:31:40 PM EDT
[#1]
Should of paid your ticket.

They suspended my license by mistake too.  Happens all the time.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 1:44:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Thats amazing.  I work with a guy that got a DUI, pleaded guilty to a OWI, and his total out of pocket expenses for the conviction was under $2k.  So you are getting hit harder for a damn TAB than a DRUNK DRIVER!!!
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 3:06:11 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Should of paid your ticket

That sounds like a response of a Police Officer...well, I would've if I knew I had it. The County doesnt even have record of the exact date or what police officer ticketed me for the expired tabs, and still wouldnt dismiss it. Its all about money. I'm getting real sick of this State.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 5:39:02 PM EDT
[#4]
Yes, I got a 1st offense Impaired Driving . 1500$ for Lawyer , 900$ court fine , 287$ for 30 days house arrest ( I chose house arrest instead of Probation), 1000$ (500per year / 2 years) Driver Responsibility Fee , 125$ reinstatment fee. Total of 3812$ . Oh and I forgot , when my insurance company found out my policy went up to 4218$ for 6 months!! Of course my car went straight into my moms name . There is no way in hell I would pay that much for 6 months of insurance!!!

My girlfriends dad beat the F&%ck out of her mom and almost killed her , he got 1200$ fine and 1 year Probation . Really does'nt make sense does it folks?
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 5:49:57 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Quoted:

Should of paid your ticket

That sounds like a response of a Police Officer...well, I would've if I knew I had it. The County doesnt even have record of the exact date or what police officer ticketed me for the expired tabs, and still wouldnt dismiss it. Its all about money. I'm getting real sick of this State.

Shoulda got a lawer bro. Even for a moving violation, you should always consult those life sucking son's of biatches. They do help though. Probably would have helped you. But then again, it is about money. Look at Micheal Jackson. He openly wacked off a child and gave him jesus juice and walked. All about money.

Rob
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 6:17:47 PM EDT
[#6]
What's really messed up, is that when other states have implimented similar BS fee's, the amount of people driving with suspended licenses, expired tabs and expired insurance actually increased.

Think about it, you're a poor twentysomething living on your own, and you go thru the same thing. Now you can't afford to pay that fee the next year, so you duck it. But you still gotta drive to work topay the bills, food, diapers whatever. Then you're insurance can't get renewed because you've got a suspended. then you rear-end some other regular guy one day. Guess what?

The regular guy is the one really getting screwed! He just got his car tore up by some kid driving on suspended with no insurance.

It's just a stupid cycle that really shows this state-as well as a few others-could care less about poor people.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 4:38:01 AM EDT
[#7]
Yet another reason for this born & raised, life long Michigan resident to want to leave.  North Dakota is looking more attractive everyday.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 7:47:19 AM EDT
[#8]
I actually lived in ND for a while before moving here.  I wouldn't hesitate a minute to move from here to there again.  I got a speeding ticket there doing 101 mph while I was passing someone.  Cost me $80.
Link Posted: 2/28/2006 8:00:31 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I actually lived in ND for a while before moving here.  I wouldn't hesitate a minute to move from here to there again.  I got a speeding ticket there doing 101 mph while I was passing someone.  Cost me $80.

LOL

Link Posted: 3/19/2006 3:47:10 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Thats amazing.  I work with a guy that got a DUI, pleaded guilty to a OWI, and his total out of pocket expenses for the conviction was under $2k.  So you are getting hit harder for a damn TAB than a DRUNK DRIVER!!!

OWI conviction fee alone is $1K ($500 x 2 yrs).  Plea or no plea, after fines, court costs, jail costs, increase in insurance premiums, and (more than likely) the cost for court ordered BrAC or other probation, his "total out of pocket expenses" are/were WELL over $2,000.  Guaranteed.

And that doesn't even BEGIN to include his attorney costs.  
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 4:16:01 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Heres my story. Had a "Expired Plate Tabs" ticket from 7 years ago I failed to pay, honestly I never knew I even had it. I was under the impression my driving record was cleared. I never received a notice to pay this ticket. I recently got pulled over and went to jail because my license was suspended, never was informed of the suspension either.

For seven years, you drove with a suspended licenses for FCJ (failure to comply with judgment) and you never knew about it?

Just exactly how, then, did you renew your driver's license while it was suspended?
The MI SoS will NOT renew your OL if it's suspended or revoked.
Your OL is only good for 4 years at a time in MI.

Didn't receive notice?  As long as you complied with MI law and updated your address with the SOS after you moved, the notice of intent to suspend would have been mailed to your address on record.  After 28 days of failure to comply with a citation, the court mails a notice to your address of record, stating that, if you do not comply within 14 days, you license will be suspended.

So either (a) you're a liar or (b) you were driving on your suspended AND expired license for 3+ years.

I tried to explain this to the officer that pulled me over and it didnt matter to him
The LEIN is what matters.  Unless you have receipts for payment of the fine and SOS paperwork that proves you paid your fines and paid the reinstatement fee, you're more thank likely going to jail and your car is getting impounded when you're stopped and you are DWLS (it's an arrestable offense)

I also should add this is the same Officer that I see up at a local bar getting wasted with his other cop buddies and then proceed to drive home drunk.
Now this is all beginning to make sense ...

This is ridiculous. This has nothing to do with keeping our roads safe, this is purely about $$$. This is a terrible shame upon our State.

The "terrible shame" could have been avoided had you paid your ticket ...

Does anyone know of any independent lobbyist groups working to fight this new law?
Yes.  There's a new group that you should look into joining.  
It's called "The Personal Responsibility and Consequence Group".
Link Posted: 3/19/2006 4:30:03 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Heres my story. Had a "Expired Plate Tabs" ticket from 7 years ago I failed to pay, honestly I never knew I even had it. I was under the impression my driving record was cleared. I never received a notice to pay this ticket. I recently got pulled over and went to jail because my license was suspended, never was informed of the suspension either.

For seven years, you drove with a suspended licenses for FCJ (failure to comply with judgment) and you never knew about it?

Just exactly how, then, did you renew your driver's license while it was suspended?

Didn't receive notice?  As long as you complied with MI law and updated your address with the SOS after you moved, the notice of intent to suspend would have been mailed to your address on record.  After 28 days of failure to comply with a citation, the court mails a notice to your address of record, stating that, if you do not comply within 14 days, you license will be suspended.

So either (a) you're a liar or (b) you were driving on your suspended AND expired license for 3+ years.

I tried to explain this to the officer that pulled me over and it didnt matter to him
The LEIN is what matters.  Unless you have receipts for payment of the fine and SOS paperwork that proves you paid your fines and paid the reinstatement fee, you're more thank likely going to jail and your car is getting impounded when you're stopped and you are DWLS (it's an arrestable offense)

I also should add this is the same Officer that I see up at a local bar getting wasted with his other cop buddies and then proceed to drive home drunk.

Yes 7 years ago. I can tell you arent very intuitive; How long do you think it would take for an Expired License Plate ticket take to go into a suspension? I would probably say about 3-5 years. Once the drivers responsibility law hit they were sending everything to suspension. So Yes, I was probably driving on a suspended license for 2-3 years. And you do not need a drivers license to renew tabs, especially by mail. So no, I wasnt driving with expired tabs. No letter, no notice, nothing to inform my license was suspended. How else would one know? Would you personally go to the Sec of State to ask for a driving record every year just to make sure your record was clear.....I highly doubt it.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 11:57:52 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yes 7 years ago. I can tell you arent very intuitive; How long do you think it would take for an Expired License Plate ticket take to go into a suspension? I would probably say about 3-5 years. Once the drivers responsibility law hit they were sending everything to suspension. So Yes, I was probably driving on a suspended license for 2-3 years. And you do not need a drivers license to renew tabs, especially by mail. So no, I wasnt driving with expired tabs. No letter, no notice, nothing to inform my license was suspended. How else would one know? Would you personally go to the Sec of State to ask for a driving record every year just to make sure your record was clear.....I highly doubt it.

I got a ticket in july last year for expired License Plate, didnt pay it. My license was suspended  in October. Just thought id point that out. It s the same as any traffic ticket you get.
Link Posted: 3/20/2006 7:33:41 PM EDT
[#14]
Question, Did they let you renew your drivers License after they said it was Suspended? MIght be something to look into.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 5:31:49 PM EDT
[#15]
The michigan state police website offers a background check for criminal and traffic violations online, it's easy to use and only $10.00.  If you have a question about a violation, even years ago you can find out ithe truth in 30 sec.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top