I-275 north and south
M-10 Lodge Fwy
I-96 from Detroit West to M-14

Now, 5 mph above the limit can justify a ticket and every state trooper is
supposed to pull a car over and write a ticket every 10 minutes. They have
issued 30 brand new unmarked Crown Victoria cruisers and they are bringing
all their part timers on full time. If you work anywhere in the Detroit
Metropolitan area, you must take one of there interstates, routes, or
parkways. It's up to you how fast you are doing when they do.

Is this true?
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 3:10:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Do the crime pay the fine
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 3:22:30 PM EDT
[#2]
That is one of the goofiest things that I have ever seen.  Making a traffic stop and issueing a citation every ten minutes would be quite a feat.  As far as I know 5 MPH over the speed limit was always against the law and could be grounds for issuing, however I can't see that happening, there are enough people traveling well over that to pick on  
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 5:13:19 PM EDT
[#3]
I got the exact same email..... can't say as to it's truthfullness, but I've certainly seen municipalities use speeding tickets to fill their coffers (Redford and Livonia come to mind). I've seen I-275 lined with up to 6 cars pulling drivers over and issuing tickets at the same time (North and South bound, between 6 mile 9 mile). I've come back through the same area, and found they were busy with another crop of "speeders". Not sure how fast they can run the wants and warrants and write the tickets, but they can get someone almost as soon as they go back to looking. 4 per hour doesn't seem out of the question if they try. I have my doubts about 6 though.

T Bone (Detroit).
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 8:50:44 PM EDT
[#4]
The same thing has been on Snopes (www.snopes.com) for a while now. Not just for Michigan, but several other states/areas.

Tall Shadow
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 3:39:43 AM EDT
[#5]
Good.  I am tired of getting passed while doing 90.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 3:49:59 AM EDT
[#6]
Warren is the worst. They're building a new police station or something and they issue tickets like crazy.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 4:34:32 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 4:37:21 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Good.  I am tired of getting passed while doing 90.

:: spits coffee on montor!!! ::

HA!!!  Boy ain't that the truth.  I drive I-75 Southbound to 8 mile up from the 101 exit and I swear I'm doing ~82MPH and these yahoo's are on my tail.  They must hit 90-95 constant.  Sometimes I'll race these guys and we do 110 easy on the downward slopes.  Insane.

I've since slowed down becuase it's crazy.  Every day I see a Trooper so I'd watch out.  Usually they're out in the sticks towards the Clarkston area.  Dixie highway that sort of thing.  I've even competed in Nascar on 8 mile.  That's a hoot.  65 on a surface street?  Good Lord.

I got your number Mr. Yellow Monte Carlo!  Whenever you're ready for round 2!
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 4:50:03 AM EDT
[#9]
You guys should try the San Diego Grand Prix. 65 - 75 on surface streets is common place. Granted, contruction takes place year round so the roads area lot nicer then here in Michigan, but I loved driving in SoCal when I was in the Marine Corps.

If you're going slower than 80 on the freeway, you're gonna get someone killed, even during rush hour. Rush hour in SoCal doesn't mean there are a lot of people on the freeway (because there are always a lot of people on the freeways in SoCal), it just means you better step on it. Granny wants to get home so she can watch the WB.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 5:32:53 AM EDT
[#10]
I have an old car that I took on I-94 once, with the speedo that goes up to 85 mph. I am pegging the speedometer and people are still passing me, or I am having a difficult time keeping up with traffic.
Link Posted: 1/27/2006 10:51:48 AM EDT
[#11]
I drive from AA to Det every day.  Between 4 and 5 I see 2 state troopers watching east bound traffic on both 14/96 and 94 about 5 miles apart.   I started to notice more troopers on 94 after the arches were finished.  I started to use 14/96 and still ran across a couple troopers.  None have been unmarked.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 8:07:48 PM EDT
[#12]
I wish I had to worry about speeding tickets. It will routinly take me 45min to make it the 12.5 miles I have to go to work. Speed limit is 45-50 the whole way too. Of course, there is this new thing they came up with called the slow lane for you 55MPH fans.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 12:40:37 PM EDT
[#13]

Heads Up for what it's worth ~just saw this; Michigan will launch a 30-day
speeding ticket frenzy. The state estimates that 9 million dollars will be
generated in speeding tickets. 1 million will go to pay state troopers
overtime. There will be 50 state troopers on duty at all times patrolling
the 6 main intersections and highways.

I-75 north and south
I-94 (from Ann Arbor to Port Huron)
entire length of I-696
I-275 north and south
M-10 Lodge Fwy

supposed to pull a car over and write a ticket every 10 minutes.
They have

Hell, it takes 8-10 mins to write out a ticket. I haven't heard anything about this. Although I have to say, I'm sure there's gonna be some pissed off troopers if this IS true. I know I'd be pissed if my chief damanded I write people for 5 over.

Smells a little bullshitty to me.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 12:44:29 PM EDT
[#14]
They havent caught me yet
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 2:12:57 PM EDT
[#15]
www.snopes.com/politics/traffic/speeding.asp

In the final week of January 2006 the warning was circulated once again, this time aiming it at those who live in Michigan:
Heads Up for what it's worth ~just saw this; Michigan will launch a 30-day speeding ticket frenzy. The state estimates that 9 million dollars will be generated in speeding tickets. 1 million will go to pay state troopers overtime. There will be 50 state troopers on duty at all times patrolling the 6 main intersections and highways.

I-75 north and south
I-94 (from Ann Arbor to Port Huron)
entire length of I-696
I-275 north and south
M-10 Lodge Fwy

Now, 5 mph above the limit can justify a ticket and every state trooper is supposed to pull a car over and write a ticket every 10 minutes. They have issued 30 brand new unmarked Crown Victoria cruisers and they are bringing all their part timers on full time. If you work anywhere in the Detroit Metropolitan area, you must take one of there interstates, routes, or parkways. It's up to you how fast you are doing when they do.

Wear your seat belt, nothing hanging from the rear view mirror, do the speed limit (not a mile over) use cruise control if you have it, no cracks in your windshield, use your turn signals.

What's funny is that on my drive out of downtown it looked like the rumor was true--cops everywhere in preparation for the SB. I even saw an unmarked Crown Vic LEO on the way home.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 2:14:10 PM EDT
[#16]
My local newspaper said they got about 3600+ speeding tickets from I-94 and I-696 alone. it was part of a drunk driving program.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 5:16:03 PM EDT
[#17]
Oh stop whining!! Once the Stupid Bowl is over, it'll be back to business as usual.

"You don't know what it's like, you don't have a clue, if you did you'd find yourself doin' the same thing too!"

Chorus

Breakin' the law.
Breakin' the law.
Breakin' the law.
Breakin' the law.

The song "Breaking the law" by Judas Priest.   Hey, have to give credit, don't wanna get sued.....  
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 9:28:47 PM EDT
[#18]
I'm glad I moved.  I did my time sitting on the Lodge on duty for long enough...  

Paid the same sitting or moving anyway ;)
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 12:39:04 AM EDT
[#19]
supposed to pull a car over and write a ticket every 10 minutes
. They have
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hell, it takes 8-10 mins to write out a ticket. I haven't heard anything about this. Although I have to say, I'm sure there's gonna be some pissed off troopers if this IS true. I know I'd be pissed if my chief damanded I write people for 5 over.

Smells a little bullshitty to me.

Agreed, plus shame on any CO that would order an Officer, Trooper, or Deputy to try and race on a traffic stop, good way to catch a bullet or get hit by a car. Not Safe, Not at All.
Link Posted: 2/2/2006 7:09:11 PM EDT
[#20]
As was said, if true, its nothing more than superbowl shenanigans to make detroit look like something its not.
Link Posted: 2/3/2006 3:47:47 AM EDT
[#21]
Saw a State Trooper in a new Tahoe on the Lodge yesterday, He was not pulling over cars doing 5 over. He would have had his choice of 30 or so of us. He just looked out his side window and would glace over at his radar unit. He was looking to take down a someone who was really speeding.

Is that B.S. I smell, yes it is. I can recognize that smell anywhere.....

I agree Tao, "As was said, if true, its nothing more than superbowl shenanigans to make Detroit look like something its not."

Just more white wash for the city, next week it'll be business as usual........

C.M.
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 3:17:22 PM EDT
[#22]
Well, I have noticed many more MSP traffic stops of late on M-14/I-96....for years I didn't see any, and now I see one or two almost everyday....

As normal, you doing 7-9 over and no PO is going to waste time on you..they're looking for the 10, 15 or more over driver.....very much like the cheetah watching the herd of gazelle......they pick out the crazy one and cull them from the herd!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top