Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/19/2006 12:02:13 PM EDT
Is the pit a real range that is legal to shoot at or is it just a place where people go to shoot?

I'm just wondering because I want to zero a scope and no other ranges in the metro Detroit will allow me to fire an AK.

I don't want to just go to some place that isn't legal.

Thank you, Duane
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 1:37:45 PM EDT
[#1]
Yeah, it's just a place people go to shoot. Bring your own chair and table for support while sighting in.

Did you try Huron Pointe sportsmen's association? They allow the public on Saturdays.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 2:30:28 PM EDT
[#2]
I'd only add that it IS legal to shoot at the pit.
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 3:14:17 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 6:56:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for all the information.  I'm sorry I didn't know about this place years ago.

I hope to see some fellow AK/AR guys out there...  I'll be the guy with a really stupid grin on my face and a case of wolf ammo.

Thanks again, Duane
Link Posted: 1/19/2006 8:51:43 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Is the pit a real range that is legal to shoot at or is it just a place where people go to shoot?

I'm just wondering because I want to zero a scope and no other ranges in the metro Detroit will allow me to fire an AK.

Thank you, Duane

The pit is a fun blast to blast, plink and drill but I'd suggest a KD(Known Distance) range
for accurate zeroing-unless you have a Laser range finder/Lonnng tape measure.
Bald Mountain DNR range is not far from metro Detroit. You can only shoot 5 rounds(used to be single load only), but at least it's a good place to zero in.

Link Posted: 1/20/2006 4:19:13 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thank you, Duane

The pit is a fun blast to blast, plink and drill but I'd suggest a KD(Known Distance) range
Bald Mountain DNR range is not far from metro Detroit. You can only shoot 5 rounds(used to be single load only), but at least it's a good place to zero in.

IIRC the last time i was there and had my laser range finder with me it was like 86yds from the rocks to the base of the hill. But that has been a little while. YMMV
Link Posted: 1/20/2006 5:16:42 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
The pit is located on state land. Michigan law allows that you may shoot on state land. That said, it is not a formal shooting range. There are no benches, target stands, or other goodies that you might find at an official range. Bring what you need and watch what other shooters are doing.

Here is part of an e-mail I got from the DNR when I was checking into the legality of shooting on state owned lands..................

You may target practice with an identifiable backdrop on any State owned land that is not a State Park or
posted "no shooting".  Target shooting is not covered by conservation law and therefore there are no
closed seasons or curfews for target practicing on State lands.  What you may want to pay notice to are
areas where there are hikers, campers, bikers or horseback riders--these folks may also use State lands.

DNR Law Enforcement
Communications Section

Enjoy the pit.

And pick up any trash you generate.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 12:20:36 PM EDT
[#8]
I recently went out to the pit for the first time and had a blast.

Maybe you guys can help me clear something up. I called and spoke with an officer at The Lapeer Gaming Area and was told I needed a hunting license to shoot at The Pit.  My license is expired.  I checked the DNR's website and read a license wasn't needed as long as I didn't plan to "take game”.  Who's right?

The last thing I want is an arrogant DNR officer confiscating my bullet launchers.
Link Posted: 1/22/2006 8:33:51 AM EDT
[#9]
that officer is a tool. You dont need a lic to shoot there. as you said, your not taking game.

As far as metro dretroit ranges and your AK.

Any of the state owned shooting ranges will allow your ok. pontiac lk, island lake, or bald mountian. They will all allow your AK. they are outdoor, so dress warm!
Link Posted: 1/23/2006 4:10:41 PM EDT
[#10]
The Pit is a great place to blast away with your AKs and ARs, but I've seen too many knuckleheads out there who don't know basic gun safety rules.   It can get crowded there, especially on a weekend,  and I've seen too many people handling and loading their firearms while others were downrange setting up targets.  I had words with one female who was pointing an SKS downrange while a half-dozen people were still setting up targets on the hill.  I asked her politely to set the gun down while people were down range.  She replied, "It ain't loaded!"  That's when I lit into her.  She wasn't the only one holding a gun while the others were downrange.  I packed it up and left.  I didn't want to be around if something bad happened.  Of course, I've seen the same thing at DNR ranges, so I guess it could happen anywhere.  However, there were way too many people there that day.  I try to avoid the crowds.  

I wish there were more places like the pit where you can go and enjoy unloading a 30-round mag without the screams from a range officer (as long as people respect basic safety rules)  I think places like the pit are great.  I just fear that something is going to happen out there (besides all the trash) that will get that place shut down.

Link Posted: 1/25/2006 1:57:32 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Thank you, Duane

When did they change this to 5 rounds per mag?
Pontiac Lake now allows 6 per mag (as of last year). Bald Mountain was still single load only as of 8/05.

Maybe the dumb ass bolt-gun deer hunters finally got it through their thick skull that single load only is a BS rule?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top