Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/10/2006 5:35:22 PM EDT
Just wondering if anybody lives around Westland and what they think of it?  I might be comeing up there for the summer and was wanting to get an idea of how it is.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 5:03:51 AM EDT
[#1]
Some parts of Westland is nice, some of it is a real dump. I live in Livonia, Westland is apprx 4 blocks south of me. The schools are not so great as compared to the surrounding communities. There is a good shopping area, there are two or three good places to eat. Congestion around those places is absolutely nuts.

There is one indoor range in the area, I myself can not stand it. The people who the owners let work in the place (the skinny woman with the dark hair) are some of the most rude people in the area. In fact some of the owners are just as rude.

There are one or two outdoor ranges within 30-40 minutes. The infamous 'pit' is about 1.5 hours north of Westland.

If you need help finding a place, let me know, I am a Real Estate broker and can help.

Why are going to westland? Work? Life? Family? If it is only for work, I would see about renting a aplace in Livonia, Canton or Plymouth, the drive will be a few minutes to Westland from either one and you will not be living in Westland.

Link Posted: 1/11/2006 5:12:41 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Some parts of Westland is nice, some of it is a real dump. I live in Livonia, Westland is apprx 4 blocks south of me. The schools are not so great as compared to the surrounding communities. There is a good shopping area, there are two or three good places to eat. Congestion around those places is absolutely nuts.

There is one indoor range in the area, I myself can not stand it. The people who the owners let work in the place (the skinny woman with the dark hair) are some of the most rude people in the area. In fact some of the owners are just as rude.

There are one or two outdoor ranges within 30-40 minutes. The infamous 'pit' is about 1.5 hours north of Westland.

If you need help finding a place, let me know, I am a Real Estate broker and can help.

Why are going to westland? Work? Life? Family? If it is only for work, I would see about renting a aplace in Livonia, Canton or Plymouth, the drive will be a few minutes to Westland from either one and you will not be living in Westland.

I'm in Romulus and this sounds about right for Wasteland, I mean Westland.
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 5:34:12 AM EDT
[#3]
I live in Westland, have been here for a year or two. Not a bad place.... I get a kick out of people who take jabs at this city or that city-it's suburban Detroit, everbody in the area has parts of town that aren't 'nice'. Well, there's West Bloomfield with it's $1M McMansions, but not everybody can afford that....

Westland is a pretty clean city. I don't know if Shacktown is part of Westland, but we have a very large and visible police force. No real trouble here, no thugs etc. Not a bad place to live, really. Everything's close by, and the freeway borders town for things that aren't.

Dave
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 6:29:28 AM EDT
[#4]
I live in Farmingto Hills and never venture south of 8 mile, been to the indoor range down there a couple of times when they first opened
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 7:52:54 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Dang it...beat me too it... but it is better than Garbage Garden City... and Wayne (north half) is nice...which is pretty much the same for Westland.

No Expert
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 5:16:30 PM EDT
[#6]
I have a friend that lives up there.  If things are still going the way they are now I'll move up there just for the summer.  I'll probably come back to Alabama in the fall.  I'll finaly be a Senior in college and thanks to family college is free down here.
How are the laws up?  Especially the gun and knife laws.  I believe that my CCW is accepted up there.  Do I have to register my pistol if I stay for the summer?  
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 4:46:53 AM EDT
[#7]
Yes, I believe you do. If you are a Michigan resident, it's not the same as carrying on an out of state permit while on vacation.
Link Posted: 1/12/2006 8:09:36 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I have a friend that lives up there.  If things are still going the way they are now I'll move up there just for the summer.  I'll probably come back to Alabama in the fall.  I'll finaly be a Senior in college and thanks to family college is free down here.
How are the laws up?  Especially the gun and knife laws.  I believe that my CCW is accepted up there.  Do I have to register my pistol if I stay for the summer?  

I would call the MSP to get the right scoop.

We do honor other states CCW's, but, I am not sure if you are a 'resident' here that it will still be good.

Link Posted: 1/12/2006 3:54:22 PM EDT
[#9]
Would liveing up there for the summer make me a resident?  I would still have my Alabama drivers license.  
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 5:16:51 AM EDT
[#10]
I'd imagine that an out of state license would grant you a bit of leeway-i.e. you don't have to give the LEO your MI address in a traffic stop. But, make no mistake, if you are Staying here for the summer, you are residing in MI.

Dave
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 7:00:58 AM EDT
[#11]
I lived in Westland from 16y.o. to 27 y.o. I live next door to Westland now. A lot of my family still lives in Westland, including my parents. I would never "choose" to live in Westland.  The schools suck and are getting worse, the neighborhoods are getting worse, and crime is on the rise.

I worked as an LEO right next door for 8 years, and if I was Joe citizen, I wouldn't want to have to deal with Westland's P.D. or their court.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 7:06:55 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I live in Westland, have been here for a year or two. Not a bad place.... I get a kick out of people who take jabs at this city or that city-it's suburban Detroit, everbody in the area has parts of town that aren't 'nice'. Well, there's West Bloomfield with it's $1M McMansions, but not everybody can afford that....

Westland is a pretty clean city. I don't know if Shacktown is part of Westland, but we have a very large and visible police force. No real trouble here, no thugs etc. Not a bad place to live, really. Everything's close by, and the freeway borders town for things that aren't.

Dave

Yes Shacktown IS Westland. I should mention there's a bit of a class difference between the North end and south end. Even the P.O.'s refer to it in that way. Trust me, the "bad" part of westland starts at Ford rd. and moves south from there. Now bad doesn't mean like Detroit or Inkster...but it's just getting bad. Also, the bad is gradually moving north.

Dave, go to the Mcdonalds at Wayne and Warren. Hang out for a minute you'll see plenty of 'thugs". I've had two situations there where I thought I was going to get in a fight.
Link Posted: 1/13/2006 4:49:10 PM EDT
[#13]
Dern.  Well.  I'll just be stuburn for now.  I did the samething last year in Ga.  Nothing happened, but that doesn't mean anything.  
So.  Westland is starting to be bad news.  Man.  Well.  Montgomery is heading the same way.  Last spring my truck was shot once during a walk by and the house was shoot by kids from one car trying to hit the other.  I moved, but I'm still two miles from the old house.  Anyways.  I'm trying to convience my friend that other places are nice to live.  She has never lived outside of Mi.  I'm hopeing we can work on something, but if she wants to stay up north we will.  
How are the knife laws up there?  What about carring concealed for for ya'll?
Link Posted: 1/14/2006 1:42:48 PM EDT
[#14]
Now don't let me freak you out. There are some very nice communities just west and north of Westland. If you have options besides westland, the neighboring cities are great.
Link Posted: 1/15/2006 4:25:09 PM EDT
[#15]
Well.  I'm only going to be up there in the summer.  Three months tops.  Then its back to Montgomery.  I don't plan on change the State I live in right now.  I'm giving it at least a year before I make my mind up.
Link Posted: 1/21/2006 9:50:22 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Dang it...beat me too it... but it is better than Garbage Garden City... and Wayne (north half) is nice...which is pretty much the same for Westland.

No Expert

Um, no.  GC is much nicer as a whole the wasteland.  Westland has nicer northern parts and crappy southern parts that border Inkster.   But as a whole GC is a much more secure and better place to live.  Better schools and you cant beat the police force that is oversized for a city 6 square miles in size.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top