Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/4/2006 4:22:46 AM EDT
The FN PS90 has an overall length of 26" and change, so it must be registered as a pistol in MI. According to MSP, with a CPL/CCW, you can treat it like a pistol. I'm not sure how concealable it would be, but they said with a valid CPL/CCW you can store it inside your vehicle loaded / etc.. and treat it like a pistol. Otherwise it goes in the trunk unloaded (no CCW/CPL).
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 6:15:05 AM EDT
[#1]
I have a 29" AR with a fixed stock and was advised by LE that I was not required to get it registered as a pistol.  If it had a folding/collapsing stock and was between 26-30" OAL, then I would have to register it.

Based on that, I don't see why a fixed stock PS90 with an OAL of 26"+ would require registration as a pistol.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 6:57:29 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I have a 29" AR with a fixed stock and was advised by LE that I was not required to get it registered as a pistol.  If it had a folding/collapsing stock and was between 26-30" OAL, then I would have to register it.

Based on that, I don't see why a fixed stock PS90 with an OAL of 26"+ would require registration as a pistol.

This has been gone over quite a few times, but I'm pretty sure your LE is wrong on this. Also, how did you get an AR to be under 30"? My 16" barreled M4 with a collapsable stock falls in at 31"

Kris
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 7:33:50 AM EDT
[#3]
I hate registration/inspection, but I think it's better to be safe than sorry. Debra Smith from MSP said that based on the info provided: 16" barrel, fixed shoulder stock, overall length of at least 26" but less than 30", will require registration as a pistol. I'm not sure how they measure it, but 26" and change can't pass for 30" and change.

I'm not bringing this up to start a heated debate or complaining about it, I just thought fellow Michiganders should know about it.

I'm not sure what would happen if say a LEO questioned you at the range when you didn't have that PS90 registered. They'd probably confiscate it.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 8:52:52 AM EDT
[#4]
How many cops show up at the range asking to see purchase permits?

Do Michigan FFL holders require a purchase permit for these?
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 1:02:16 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

How do you have a 29" AR with fixed stock and a barrel more than 16"?
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 4:27:52 PM EDT
[#6]
Gun shop will know if they need you to purchase it with a pistol permit, I doubt that you will need it.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 4:46:41 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

It's a DPMS .22 upper with an Ace Shorty stock on the lower.  It comes in just shy of 30", about 29 3/4" to be exact.  I guess I may have to go back and have a chat with my local PD and "force" the issue about getting it registered as a pistol if it needs to be.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 6:03:04 PM EDT
[#8]
You most definitely will have to have a purchase permit to buy the "pistol".  Yes, it's a "pistol" in this retarded state.  You can try to conceal it with your CPL, good luck, but it's definitely legal.

Anything under 30" is a "pistol" regardless of whether it's really a rifle or not.  If it's under 30", it doesn't matter if it has a stock, it's a pistol.
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 2:36:44 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
You most definitely will have to have a purchase permit to buy the "pistol".  Yes, it's a "pistol" in this retarded state.  You can try to conceal it with your CPL, good luck, but it's definitely legal.

Anything under 30" is a "pistol" regardless of whether it's really a rifle or not.  If it's under 30", it doesn't matter if it has a stock, it's a pistol.

Is that your PS90 or have you been working out?
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 10:07:10 AM EDT
[#10]
Went to my local today, he told me how much, one down on lawaway.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 6:42:52 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

It's a DPMS .22 upper with an Ace Shorty stock on the lower.  It comes in just shy of 30", about 29 3/4" to be exact.  I guess I may have to go back and have a chat with my local PD and "force" the issue about getting it registered as a pistol if it needs to be.

Asking your local LEO is a total waste of time. Most of the time they don't know the regulations. You will most likely have to tell him the rules and then have him phone MSP in Lansing to speak with the firearms dept. Ask for Deb Smith.
Not having your gun registered in Michigan could bring you trouble some day.

You will need a purchase permit or valid CPL to purchase any firearm under 30" in this State, although there are also FFLs who don't know all of the rules.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 7:23:04 AM EDT
[#12]
My local PD asked around to see if it really needed to be registered. My FFL dealer noticed right away that it's too short (under 30"). Debra Smith said, after I described the PS90, it must be registered as a pistol.
Link Posted: 1/6/2006 7:39:38 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
My local PD asked around to see if it really needed to be registered. My FFL dealer noticed right away that it's too short (under 30"). Debra Smith said, after I described the PS90, it must be registered as a pistol.

I have one on order, my FFL says when he gets it in, to go get a purchase permit, because I will need one. Pistol.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top