Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/3/2006 2:47:55 PM EDT
Last week Tuesday I went to the Monroe County clerk's office and laided down my $105 for my CCW. From there I went to the Sheriff's office to get the fingerprinting  taken care of.  There was only one person in the office and quite a few people waiting to register their handguns. I patiently waited my turn and was told that I would have to come back as she was the only one there and she couldn't get me fingerprinted . She said to come back next week. I returned this evening once again to find out that they don't have enought people there to fingerprint me. She gave me a number to call to see when they are not too busy!!! Shit!!  they didn't tell me to come back because they couldn't take my money for the permit. I was pissed but it wouldn't be prudent to be upset in a police station trying to get a CCW.

01/10/06
Ok!! I called them twice since my posting. Once they said that they didn't have enough people to take the prints. The second time the lady said thatI should come down. When she was taking my prints she explained that they have been shorthand due to Chritmas vacations and people calling in sick. She was nice and polite and was the one whom gave me the number to call the second time I was there. Guess that I just picked the wrong time to go down there? Alls well that ends well!!!! Really needed to vent about it though, thanks for the responces guys!!!
Link Posted: 1/3/2006 4:39:34 PM EDT
[#1]
Yeah, hoops and more hoops.... some of these "guardians of the public good" simply try to throw up hurdles I think, in order to deter the less than determined individual. Just one of the many reasons I don't believe a license should be required at all.

I recall after the "shall issue" law passed, my local sherriff's office required  I make an appointment for finger prints, and the date was something like 60 days out. Claimed they didn't have the manpower to get it done sooner. Yeah right. Oh, they even refused to schedule until after I'd had the safety course. Didn't care I was scheduled for the following week, simply said call back after.....

Stick with it and hang in there.

T Bone (Detroit).
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 7:01:28 AM EDT
[#2]
That's a load of crap! I think I would be calling some one in higher places to bitch! I don't know how much it would matter, but that almost sounds like they are descriminating against you and purposefully holding up the process and denying your right to your permit.
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 7:33:32 AM EDT
[#3]
WOW Sounds like you need a new Sheriff.What county are you in.I live in Ionia and have been printed twice when I first applied then at the renewal.Never even waited over a half hour.Wonder if you can get printed in another county even if you had to pay 15 bucks or somthing it would be worth it .
Good luck On my 5th year with my permit
Link Posted: 1/4/2006 1:21:03 PM EDT
[#4]
I would ask a lawyer friend to all and ask why....
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 3:25:16 AM EDT
[#5]
Do I need to be fingerprinted by the local CLEO even though I've already had fingerprinting done elsewhere (for employment)?
Link Posted: 1/5/2006 7:28:47 AM EDT
[#6]
Here in Oakland County, even though I live in Farmington Hills I had to have my prints done at the Oakland County building.
It was real simple, filled out and turned in all the paperwork and they sent me to a building in the same complex where I was printed within 5 minutes.

You cant be printed elsewhere, I had fresh prints from Farmington Hills PD and they would not take those, they said they had to do them themselves as the SD.

It was MUCH easier at the SD as they had a computer which did it instead of the nasty ink rollers.

Link Posted: 1/10/2006 9:13:41 AM EDT
[#7]
Ok!! I called them twice since my posting. Once they said that they didn't have enough people to take the prints. The second time the lady said thatI should come down. When she was taking my prints she explained that they have been shorthand due to Chritmas vacations and people calling in sick. She was nice and polite and was the one whom gave me the number to call the second time I was there. Guess that I just picked the wrong time to go down there? Alls well that ends well!!!! Really needed to vent about it though, thanks for the responces guys!!!
Link Posted: 1/11/2006 7:56:33 AM EDT
[#8]
Gald you finally got it taken care of...sounds like they may have had legit staffing issues and not just jerking you around. I had to wait and extra two weeks in Wayne County cause they (appeared to have) held my letter a week then were closed for the holidays...but nowhere did they give holiday hours so I made a couple wasted trips downtown.

No Expert
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top