Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/29/2005 11:15:50 AM EDT
I have a few long guns and possibly two or three handguns I am looking to sell. Can anyone reccomend a fair dealer as far as buying used guns in the mid michigan area is concerned?. Am I better off going to a gun show and selling them on site?
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 11:35:56 AM EDT
[#1]
Depends.....what is your definition of "Fair"?
A dealer is buying to resell them so they cannot give you top dollar.
They need a profit margin and that usually is more than some people feel is fair.
You will do better to sell them yourself if you want anywhere near what their actual retail value is.
Selling a used gun to a dealer is no different then going to a dealership to sell your used car.
If you are OK with accepting about 60-75% of the actual value for your guns then a dealer can cut you a check and get you paid fast. Selling them one at a time to individuals will get you more money for them but is also a pain in the butt, especially the handguns.

OK, after more thought it is like 45-60% of the actual retail.

But to defend the dealers, used guns and accessories are the only place you make ANY money. Accessories are in the shitter now too thanks to the giants like Cabela's, Bass Pro Shops and Gander Mountain.....that is good for the consumer but horrible for the small business (gunshop) owner. They have to try and make a lot on used guns.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 12:26:26 PM EDT
[#2]
what brands and model of guns are you trying to sell?

Dealer's wont give you half of what its worth especially if you have extra money into mods it effects given price very little

Sell them outright, that would be your best bet
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 1:52:28 PM EDT
[#3]
What are you selling?
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 3:06:20 PM EDT
[#4]
Be careful ms329, it may be looked upon as an ad if you post what you are sellig here.
Might get deleted.
If you want to respond you might try IM'ing tot he people inquiring.

Link Posted: 9/30/2005 4:18:41 AM EDT
[#5]
sell them to me or on the ee, i kniw in my area, you will get screwed hard if you do anything other than sell them yourself.
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 10:11:27 AM EDT
[#6]
+1 on the idea of using the equipment exchange.  Guy I work with took two nice Browning side-by-side shotguns to Gander Mountain to see what they'd give and the lowball offer was insulting.
BTW, I'm in the Lansing area.  
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 2:42:27 PM EDT
[#7]
Check with Northwest in Redford. Chris is a good guy there, he is honest. The only honest guy I know of in the area as far as shop's go.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top