Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/25/2005 12:06:03 PM EDT
When the assisted knifes came on the market I checked the Michigan law. In short it seed it’s agenst the law in Michigan to have any knife that is activated by spring tension or gravity. Has the law changed? How can all the sporting goods stores be selling them if they are a felony?

750.226a. Pocket knife opened by mechanical device...
  Any person who shall sell or offer to sell, or
  any person who shall have in his possession any knife
  having the appearance of a pocket knife, the blade or
  blades of which can be opened by a flick of a button,
  pressure on a handle or other mechanical contrivance shall
  be guilty of a misdemeanor... [Also, concealed carry may
  be charged as a felony under 750.227.] The provisions of
  this section [750.226a] shall not apply to any one-armed
  person carrying a knife on his person in connection with
  his living requirements.
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 1:52:32 PM EDT
[#1]

Pocket knife opened by mechanical device...

I think and hope this is the difference. They are not opened by the spring but assisted in opening.
If not I'm guilty of this
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 3:16:54 PM EDT
[#2]
According to Kershaw, they are legal.
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 4:56:53 PM EDT
[#3]
Well this is the closest to proof I can find. If this is true how can I find proof of the amended law?

Posted by: Hailstorm

You can have a assisted knife. However, a switch blade is another story.That is classified as a knife opening by a button.But, if you only have use of one hand, you can have a switch blade."By Law"

The assisted thing was in affect a while back. But it has been repealed for Michigan.

http://glocktalk.com/sitemap/topic/407540-1.html
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 2:23:07 AM EDT
[#4]
I believe they are legal but I remember them geting some attention by the Legislature.   I'll see if I can dig anythoing up...
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 4:46:42 AM EDT
[#5]
Coming from someone who owns both, I can tell you that assisted open IS legal. What is NOT legal is auto knves with a push button open. And that's the fact jack!
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 2:28:12 PM EDT
[#6]
Ferndale, Mi. heard a case on this last year or the year before, and found the Kershaw Onion/Leak was ok. I had a thread or posted about it at the time. In this forum.
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 5:21:38 PM EDT
[#7]
I once saw the info from the MI supreme court , basically saying assisted openers were legal. Due to the fact 30% or so is human power opening the blade before the spring takes over.  Sorry, no link.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top