Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/21/2005 10:34:54 PM EDT
On the application it asks if you have ever been convicted of any of the misdemeanors on the list and then asks if you have ever been convicted of things not on the list. If I answer yes to both of these questions, will it matter?

I had a stupid retail fraud when I was 17, 18 years ago. And a trespassing, 14 years ago(fishing on lake saint clair-how dare me).

Will I be okay?

Also, I am disabled. Bad back. I can only stand or walk for short distances.

I'm wondering if/when I have to go before the gunboard? I'm in Mount Clemens. What time were you scheduled and where did you go and how long did it take? Were there seats?

Thanks guys.

I'm kinda ashaned to post this, but with my back, I have to consider these things.  

*EDIT-new question*

How about an FFL? Would those ruin my chances for getting an FFL?

Link Posted: 9/22/2005 12:05:06 AM EDT
[#1]
1) DON'T LIE!

2) Those are for the most part simple misdemeanors. It probably won't matter (depending on the degree/amount of the retail fruad. under $200?). AND Are you on probation for those misdemeanors/any current court stipulations?

If yes, ya might have an issue. If no, wouldn't worry about it. Doubt you'll be in a position to have to appear in front of the gun board.

Get your CCW and stop stealin shit
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 12:17:20 AM EDT
[#2]
You were under 18, they should be off your record. I had a record before i turned 18 . I had no problem getting the CPL. I received notice in the mail exactly 30 days after i gave them my application, my two buddies who also put it in their applications at the same time as me took them four months to get theirs. As far as going in front of a board, you only have to go in front of a board if they denie your application and you go in for an appeal from my understanding. Hope this helps. McM
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 3:03:41 AM EDT
[#3]
You better put everything on the paperwork. They will find out everything. If you hide it, you will have problems.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 5:34:59 AM EDT
[#4]

What time were you scheduled and where did you go and how long did it take? Were there seats?

Since the rest has been answered I can help out here.

They schedule you in alphabetical order, I'm a W and went in with the W's. Mine was on a Tuesday in the morning.

It is in the court building in down town Mt. Clemens, park in the parking structure next door.

It only took about a half hour. Your time may be longer depending on how many people they have with the first letter of your last name. I had about 25 people in my group.

Yes there are seats inside and outside the room.

Don't lie about anything, they have your complete record right in front of them.
I was stupid and got a DUI when I was 16. It was still there & I was questioned about it but it happened over 20 years ago and I haven't had any problems since.

Good luck.

As far as going in front of a board, you only have to go in front of a board if they denie your application and you go in for an appeal from my understanding.

Not true unless they changed it since I got mine (2 years ago)
Everyone in Macomb County goes in front of the board.

Link Posted: 9/22/2005 5:48:51 AM EDT
[#5]
Generally speaking, if you can pass a NICS check, you will most likely get your CPL.
There are probably a few rare exceptions to this, but I wouldn't worry too much.
When in doubt, contact Jim Simmons. He's an attorney in Shelby Twp who is very knowledgable in Michigan firearms law.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 9:38:36 AM EDT
[#6]
Thanks guys, I appreciate it. I think I'll go ahead and sign up for the CCW class.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 5:41:03 PM EDT
[#7]
I had a trespassing on my record from when I was 17 as well. I answered yes on my app to being convicted of things not on the list. A rep from the board (can't remember which one) asked me specifically about the trespassing charge. I answered him honestly, that I was off roading with friend and unknowingly wandered into private property. They basically shrugged it off.

As was said above DO NOT LIE! They have your whole life right in front of them and already know the answers to the questions they're asking. It really is no big deal. I was pretty nervous going in, but pleasantly surprised how easy it was on the way out.

as G_22 said, it's in alphabetical order. I am an S, and I had to be there at 1:00. was outta there by 1:30.

I went before the board a year ago this month.

Best of luck to ya'.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 6:19:14 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Not true unless they changed it since I got mine (2 years ago)
Everyone in Macomb County goes in front of the board.

I didnt relize macomb county had to go through that. I'm in oakland county and we dont unless you go for an appeal. Its funny before the shall issue law macomb was one of the easier countys to get a ccw, from the looks of it oakland is easier, funny how things change.  McM
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 10:42:47 AM EDT
[#9]
How about an FFL? Would those ruin my chances of obtaining one?
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 7:18:45 AM EDT
[#10]
I had a misdermeanor <SP> I waited the aloted time then applied. I told them about it, they broughyt it up at the meeting I had to go to. After the meeting they handed me my CPL.  They even brought stuff up I had forgoten about from my youth.

Just dont lie. If you meet they rquirments they have to give it to you. Do your own reasurch.
Link Posted: 9/24/2005 1:51:40 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
How about an FFL? Would those ruin my chances of obtaining one?

Sorry misread you question but they have the same type interveiw.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top