Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/20/2005 10:04:55 AM EDT
My brother is in a nasty custody battle right now with his GF.  Shes a meth addict so he has had the child since the break up.  therre is a child custody hearing tomorrow that she is expected to lose badly. She has made it clear that her and her boyfriend intend to try to take the child if they can.

right now my brother, his child, my dad and grandparents are bugged in at my grandparents house.  There have been people watching the house and following them for days.  My brother has been assaulted twice already.

If the g/f's tweeker friends break into the house in an apparent attempt to kidnapp the child is my dad and grandfather legally justified in repsonding with deadly force?  Is there an obligation to retreat in michigan law?
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 2:24:02 PM EDT
[#1]
IM sent
Link Posted: 9/25/2005 3:27:06 AM EDT
[#2]
God I would hope so...
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 7:41:29 AM EDT
[#3]

Is there an obligation to retreat in michigan law?

Yes.
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 9:08:00 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

Is there an obligation to retreat in michigan law?

Yes.

Not if you are in your home or attached garage.
Link Posted: 9/28/2005 7:13:53 PM EDT
[#5]
Generally you have a duty to retreat from an attacker when doing so will not expose you to greater danger. However, in Michigan you have no duty to retreat while in your house and you may use deadly force to repel an assailant or to prevent his forcible entry.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top