Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/19/2005 4:43:27 PM EDT
I think they are but I just wanted to tmake sure.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 4:43:25 AM EDT
[#1]
Not sure either.

I know that a pistol grip on a Shotgun is a no-no, unless the shotgun is regeistered as a handgun.

Link Posted: 9/20/2005 2:02:29 PM EDT
[#2]
Yes they are as long as you meet the minimum length requirement of 26inches with the stock folded.  You can have a vertical forward grip on one even if it is registered as a pistol.  It's still tehnically a longarm, but Michigan only has the antiquated system set up for registering pistols, so that's what all of the registration is called.  It's hard to explain, I'm pretty sure this is correct:

All shotguns must have barrel length of 18in.
Shotguns with an overall length of 26-30in.  (with stock, no stock, or folding stock in the folded position) must be registered.  Under 26in. is SBS.
All shotguns can have vertial forward grips, regardless whether or not it has to be registered.

Link Posted: 9/21/2005 2:29:28 AM EDT
[#3]
No pistol grip on a shotgun?  I thought I saw one a while back at Jay's in Clare.  No I have to do some checking.  I find it hard to believe.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 3:08:37 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
No pistol grip on a shotgun?  I thought I saw one a while back at Jay's in Clare.  No I have to do some checking.  I find it hard to believe.

Better re-read what I said.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 3:35:13 AM EDT
[#5]
Pistol grip shotguns are perfectly legal in MI.  Not only do I own one but I see them all the time in stores and on the range.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 3:57:41 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Pistol grip shotguns are perfectly legal in MI.  Not only do I own one but I see them all the time in stores and on the range.

As long as the shotgun is regesitered as a handgun, then its legal.

But, I have never seen a cop ask anyone either. Its one of those laws that bite you in the ass when the cops get after you.

If the stores sell them with one on the shotgun, that is breaking MI law, not Federal. I know because I once had a FFL and that was the law.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 5:05:53 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

But, I have never seen a cop ask anyone either. Its one of those laws that bite you in the ass when the cops get after you.

If the stores sell them with one on the shotgun, that is breaking MI law, not Federal. I know because I once had a FFL and that was the law.

Are you talking about a pistol grip only or a buttstock with pistol grip?

A pistol grip only shotgun (with no buttstock) will require registration as a pistol if the OAL is between 26-30".  But, I've never heard or read anything about shotguns with pistol grips being illegal in MI, unless they fit the defintion of SBS or were illegal because of something else.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 5:51:35 AM EDT
[#8]
Wolfclan. Just because you had an FFL doesn't make you the authority. Pistol grips are perfectly legal. As are Folding stocks.

All you gotta do is be within the OAL and barrel length of the gun.

Here is the actual text:

16.  Do rifles or shotguns with collapsible/folding stocks have to be registered in Michigan?

MCL 750.222   Yes, provided the rifle or shotgun is 30 inches or less in overall length with the stock collapsed/folded but at least 26 inches and the barrel length is at least 16 inches and 18 inches respectively.  Attorney General’s opinion #6280: if the firearm is less than 26 inches in overall length or the barrel is less than 16 or 18 inches respectively, the firearm is considered a short-barreled rifle or shotgun and is illegal to possess.  MCL 750.224d   There is an exception for short-barreled shotguns and short-barreled rifles which the Federal Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms has found to be a curio, relic, antique, museum piece, or collector’s item not likely to be used as a weapon.

this is why they sell them at gun shows and shops. cuz it's legal.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 5:52:29 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Wolfclan. Just because you had an FFL doesn't make you the authority. Pistol grips are perfectly legal. As are Folding stocks.

All you gotta do is be within the OAL and barrel length of the gun. This also applies to pistol grips. Its all about length.

Here is the actual text:

16.  Do rifles or shotguns with collapsible/folding stocks have to be registered in Michigan?

MCL 750.222   Yes, provided the rifle or shotgun is 30 inches or less in overall length with the stock collapsed/folded but at least 26 inches and the barrel length is at least 16 inches and 18 inches respectively.  Attorney General’s opinion #6280: if the firearm is less than 26 inches in overall length or the barrel is less than 16 or 18 inches respectively, the firearm is considered a short-barreled rifle or shotgun and is illegal to possess.  MCL 750.224d   There is an exception for short-barreled shotguns and short-barreled rifles which the Federal Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms has found to be a curio, relic, antique, museum piece, or collector’s item not likely to be used as a weapon.

this is why they sell them at gun shows and shops. cuz it's legal.

Link Posted: 9/21/2005 8:19:47 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Are you talking about a pistol grip only or a buttstock with pistol grip?

A pistol grip only shotgun (with no buttstock) will require registration as a pistol if the OAL is between 26-30".  But, I've never heard or read anything about shotguns with pistol grips being illegal in MI, unless they fit the defintion of SBS or were illegal because of something else.

I meant a pistol grip only. Not the buttstock with a pistol grip.

Link Posted: 9/21/2005 3:07:20 PM EDT
[#11]
I realize you meant that wolfclan. But thats what I am talking about. You DO NOT have to register shotguns with pistol grips only.

This is due to the fact that the meet OAL regs. If they didnt, THEN and only THEN would they be considerd a Short barreled Rifle. Which is illegal in Michigan anyway. Even if you wanted to, with it being to short you couldn't register it.

The reason everyone is so flipped out over this pistol grip thing is with the assault weapon crap. People think you can't put a pistol grip on anything. Even the new AWB tried to add a ban to these guns.

Bottom line. Its legal to have a pistol grip on your gun as long as its 30 inches or less in overall length with the stock collapsed/folded but at least 26 inches and the barrel length is at least 16 inches and 18 inches respectively.

This only makes sense. Ask yourself.. Whats a shotgun with a folded stiock?  A SHOTGUN WITH A PISTOL GRIP.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 12:25:13 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I realize you meant that wolfclan. But thats what I am talking about. You DO NOT have to register shotguns with pistol grips only.

This is due to the fact that the meet OAL regs. If they didnt, THEN and only THEN would they be considerd a Short barreled Rifle. Which is illegal in Michigan anyway. Even if you wanted to, with it being to short you couldn't register it.

The reason everyone is so flipped out over this pistol grip thing is with the assault weapon crap. People think you can't put a pistol grip on anything. Even the new AWB tried to add a ban to these guns.

Bottom line. Its legal to have a pistol grip on your gun as long as its 30 inches or less in overall length with the stock collapsed/folded but at least 26 inches and the barrel length is at least 16 inches and 18 inches respectively.

This only makes sense. Ask yourself.. Whats a shotgun with a folded stiock?  A SHOTGUN WITH A PISTOL GRIP.

Looks like you have some typos in that post....

Rifle/Shotgun equal to or greater than 30" OAL with stock collapsed AND a barrel length of at least 16"/18" respectively is legal, and no registration required.

Rifle/Shotgun less than 30" OAL but longer than 26" OAL which have barrels at least 16"/18" respectively is legal, but needs to be registered as a pistol.

Rifle/Shotgun less than 26" OAL is illegal regardless of barrel length.

Rifle/Shotgun with a a barrel less than 16"/18" respectively is illegal regardless of OAL.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top