Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/12/2005 5:58:37 AM EDT

After seeing all the difference of opinion and suggestions:  most dealing with different Terrain, Transportation, Laws, Weather, size of cities  and all in all circumstances that seem to effect most of us in our preparation for our bugging In or Out .

I would like to see if anyone agrees with me that each State has it own set of circumstances and could be addressed in our hometown forum. I know that after reading thred after thred it does not even come close to some of the things that I see as Special  to our reign. Some may be the same with surrounding states,  but very much different than most southern and western States.

I wonder what all of you guys think?
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 7:23:45 AM EDT
[#1]
Well ;et me start out I believe that any problems will involve one of our city’s in southern Michigan, This could easily be with something as simple as a power outage.

I think it was apparent to me two years ago when the big black out was. If power and not started getting restored as soon as it did things where starting to get very Jumpy very fast even then. With no electricity water, started becoming a problem and all of the other services as well.

Even though most of us on the outer edges are not on the Water system most could not use there wells. There are lots of lakes almost everywhere but I did not see or did I here anyone using them to fulfil even the most basic flush your toilet needs.

I can see a lot of unrest coming up very fast in the larger city’s given just a no water situation. For those reason It is my intention to get out ASAP to a location in the upper of the state where we will not run into any people.

I think when we call in the Governing body: IE police,NG, other police agency’s,  whoever it is we can see how it is handled,  They disarm everyone in the interest of protecting everyone. it does not matter what law says they do it anyway.  I was wondering how some of you Guys in the Mid part of the state.  Saginaw, Bay city, Flint and so on: Think reactions will be? How safe will it be for me to travel as fast as I can drive through your city to get to my BO HQ ?
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 12:13:31 PM EDT
[#2]
This thread is in the Survival Forum.

thought it might stimulate some replies.

Link
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 12:21:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Flint is racially and economically polarized, almost to the extreme.

I would steer clear of it if possible. Although I75 does run on the nicer half of the city.

If Detroit or Pontiac has a social break down I would guess I75 would be bumper to bumper, and not a good route. But you never really know until it happens.

I live on the east side of flint. My plan right now it to take back roads to the vassar area and meet with family, then head either to Alpeina area or if necessary the Frankfort area.

In the near future my brother is moving to the Saint Johns area and a re plan may be necessary.

Link Posted: 9/12/2005 12:46:58 PM EDT
[#4]
I forgot to give my thought on Scoutmasters questions.

Michigan definitely has its own concerns. Especially when bugging out. The biggest in my opinion is the weather it is  often unpredictable with sudden changes. No matter what time of year I keep cold weather gear in my B.O.B. Not full blown January February gear, but long under wear and warm socks and layer able shirts and pants.

As I mention I live in Flint so bugging in is only an option for  minor situations. I.E. snow storm small tornado minor flooding. I keep enough food and water in house to keep my family feed for near a month with out having to change our routine.

With bugging out being my real plan I have started to distribute gear to my close family so I don't have too haul everything I have across the state. And yes I do get funny looks from the women folk when I show up with a case of ammo and leave with out shooting any of it. But fortunately my family humors me and my nutty survival habits.

With all the rivers and lakes in Michigan Travel by water is something I would like to be more prepared for. But water craft is expensive and comes with their own support needs.

With lower Michigan being flat and in some places heavily wooded, land navigation with out GPS could be difficult. Dead reckoning is a last resort in my opinion. If you have to go on foot, There are may old rail lines That lead north. A good atlas is key.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 4:07:49 AM EDT
[#5]
I can see travel being pretty tuff as well, lots of big cities between me and my bol I would prefer to avoid. Quite a few other obstacles to cover that the Midwest thread may have over looked. As in if you ever die in Mi of dehydration you must have some serious issues, but traversing through the countryside and coming up on the Saginaw river 1/3 of the way to your bol isn’t a good time. 75 and major expressways are clogged to the gills on any given weekend going up north so I can only imagine if we had a natural disaster. Add to it 20 foot of snow fall a year in some parts of the state. Along with other Michigan related problems I can see what scoutmaster is talking about. Allot of these issues don’t come up just 1 state away like Ohio.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 4:26:59 AM EDT
[#6]
That’s good to know, After the black out two years ago I did make a trip up the freeway to the BOHQ, to my surprise the free way was empty going north and south. I made the trip in 2.1/2 hrs and it is usually a 3 hr trip. I thought that there might be a traffic problem but 24 hrs after the event it was still clean. Unlike the east and west freeways

I am not sure that weather around here would have the effect to take out a large enough area to cause what we have seen. I am thinking an attack on the electronic grid or a attack on one of our major city’s here in the south.  With chemical or radiation in whatever forms it might take. One in which it would leave the city uninhabitable or months or years. That I think is where we differ so much from larger parts of out country.

We are very lucky not to be facing some of the same things as so many others. I was planning On blowing right through flint on I-75 as I remember it is only in the city for a very few miles. But you may be right, some of it is below ground level and easy pray for anyone on the walls. It might be good to find an alternate way around it. I am in hopes that I will be going through before it becomes known and wide spread enough to have gotten that bad. Thanks for the info, it could make all the difference.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 4:50:43 AM EDT
[#7]
Raven_Fire

You are right I never though of it but the Saginaw river would be a another major crossing. One well placed person on it could stop anything from crossing, either way And that river runs a long way into the state with only bridges to cross all the way.

Another point, that I was making we all have our isolated things that are only subject to our area.  That one will take some research in locating another path while not using that bridge.
I know that there are bridges on both sides but they are in the middle of the city of Saginaw and I would not think that would be any better.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 9:55:18 AM EDT
[#8]
One thing for sure, I would not count on anything that needs batteries, like GPS.

Get a good compass (I paid about $25 for a standard Army issue) and some good maps & learn how to use them.

Unless theres some kind of toxic fallout which would require my immediate withdrawl, I have ample supplies of food, water, a generator and enough gas to last for a few weeks (for me & my girl) at least. Oh, and plenty of firearms and ammo to ward off looters. I would bug in. I have a natural wood fireplace and have at least a cord of wood to burn at all times. If I run out of food, I have a few weeks worth of MRE's. Lake St. Clare is a 5 minutes away, I can boil or use water purification tabs if need be.

Buggin out is a whole other ball game. I'm in SE Michigan, i'm screwed if there is some kind of mass exit going on. I could load up all my gear & food but that wont do much good stuck in 50miles of dead stoped traffic. I do have a 4wheel drive P/U if I need to go off road but then again, so does half of Michigan. If you see a mushroom cloud coming from Detroit, it's too late anyways.

Normal natural disasters we have here are snow, ice storms, power outages and water outages.
I am semi-prepared for these. If it's worse, I'll see you guys on the other side.  
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 6:20:53 PM EDT
[#9]
The Saginaw area is 100% racially divided, and the white police in the 'township' have started patrolling the west half of the city to supress the black criminals after some rather nasty incidents spilled over early this summer.

I expect that in a serious situation, such as loss of power, things would break down into open combat fairly quickly.

15 miles north of the city of Saginaw is very normal rural territory. The 'wood ticks' from there to the tip of the UP will steal you blind behind your back, but wouldn't take food out of your hands.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 6:42:45 PM EDT
[#10]
I'm bugging in until the situation becomes untenable, then heading to where family is. Unfortunately, they're not remotely prepared for anything but oh well.

Special concerns? Where I'm at right now dictates some... I'm in a good neighborhood but it's only 2 miles from Detroit, so my special preps include more ammo.

One thing I think everyone should have is night vision of some sort. I wish I could say I have a great Gen 3 set but the $80 NV monocular has been OK so far.
Link Posted: 9/13/2005 8:39:24 PM EDT
[#11]
I'm in very much the same situation.
Being in Royal Oak, and therefore, right in the middle of "We are not prepared!" central, I'd have no way to BO to My place "Up north".

I'd Bug In for a while, or until I thought I could not make it/Protect the family anymore. It would be a Nasty Trip, but I've got a few ways to go to get there.

I'd be willing to "link up" with others in the area who were in the same situation, as I'm a "Lone Outpost" here. The last big power outage was all too telling, as to how well prepared My neighbors are.

Tall Shadow
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 3:17:42 AM EDT
[#12]
When the SHTF, where are you going to bug out? I guarantee you will be stuck on I-74 / I-94 / 696 /96 etc... because the MI DOT decides to close down the highway for construction.

I'm working on building a diesel powered bug-out vehicle that will pull double duty as my daily driver. It will have the right suspension and ground clearance to traverse curbs and other objects, but small enough that it will fit through tight spots, and fast enough to outrun most of the vehicles on the road. But from what I can see, it's probably best to bug-in and bunker down. you're not going to get anywhere fast on the roads in SE MI thanks to the thousands of idiots on the road.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 4:51:07 AM EDT
[#13]
Well you guys all have very valid points. And after hearing from you guys it is more obvious to me that Here in Michigan we do have several special  problems to deal with with water on three side of us and large rivers to  cross even to get north or south.

I also live in south east part of the state. Just north of Pontiac. I guess I have been looking at the bug in –Out thing in a little different way. I have enough stuff to hang in there for quite a while, But I think if things get to that stage that there will come a time as you all have mentioned that bugging out might be the only option.

My problem with trying to stay in is once we reach the time to leave, That may not be possible any more. As some of you have said. Both  Flint and Saginaw as well as the Saginaw river will be major points that might not be able to be crossed after sever days or weeks of unrest.

All of those locations sound like they could be all most impassible, after things get going. Two years ago when we had the black out, I hit I-75 north about 12 hours after the lights went out. All the east and west freeways where in deed blocked. I jumped on I-75 just north of Waterford and had open sailing all the way to my BOHQ. I was very surprised.  I really have very grave concerns about letting things get stirred up and hitting roadblocks or looters and so on along the way.

My plan it to use the confusion of the first few hours to get out of Dodge with all my stuff and not worry about some of the things that will be in place two or three days after an event.

AM I missing something? I think some one said something about where I was going to bug out to. I have put together a little piece of property in the upper  part of the lower that I have all my supplies already there and all I need to do is get there. It makes it much easier when the time comes. What do you all think?
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 5:10:45 AM EDT
[#14]
Yea, I kinda agree, if anyone has been watching the event unfold in NO, if you wait, you will probably get screwed. I watch everyday as the NG is smashing in doors and confiscating guns away from people who have done nothing wrong and would only like to defend there house and there family. what said guy going to do when 20-30 looters show up to there house and want the old lady’s jewels and his 14 year old daughter? They will take your supplies for the "common good" and ship you off to a pen. If you wait to long, the roads will be clogged with cars, road blocks or what ever.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 7:48:26 AM EDT
[#15]
Before any of you respond: I had a thought that I wanted to throw out and see what you all think. By the sounds of it having other places to go is a little slim and may not be on the further purchase plan anytime soon. Just a thought wondering what you all think?

There are thousands and thousands of acres of State Land that there is open camping on : some in a park type setting and some Just plain open land that can be camped on at any time. I have done it. Unless you look at a map most people don’t even know it is there.  Some are miles back in off the road that is all most land locked by private property. I say all most land locked.

It would take a little research But what do you all think of locating something up there that could be used as a possible long term gathering, place or even camp sight? It might open options for some of us that don’t have any place to go. It might also make a difference in deciding if we should stay in or head out before travel gets to dangerous to risk.

I for one am not in favor of having all my stuff taken or confiscated in the interest of “safety or the good of the sheeple.” I really think that well into an event in this state it will be far to easy for looters, NG , Local LEO or anyone that wants to,  To stop you while in transit around Flint Saginaw or the big one the Saginaw river bridge. But other than that it would be open sailing once we get north of the Saginaw River.

If we where to set up such a gathering point Who in there right mind would bother several groups of us after we got together? ( how many of you would use such a set up?)   set Also I would rather Bug out only to find later it was not needed and have a nice week end camping and then go back home  than wait three days only to find the bride is road blocked and stopping everyone?
YOUR THOUGHTS  ?

PS any of you other michganders Hams?
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 8:53:37 AM EDT
[#16]
Personally, I have lots of friends living up in Alpena, Hillman, & Spruce areas.
I would try to make it there first in the event of a must bug out situation.
I would also assume that there would be LOTS of people with the same idea, which could get crazy real quick.

There is tons of state & national forest land around and if I had nowhere else to go, that would be an option I would definitely conceder.

I have a CB I can hook up in minutes in my vehicle and 2 (10mile radius) 2-way radios.
No HAM.

What about a scanner?
Scanners are great for finding out where the mass chaos is happening and may let you avoid certain areas in anarchy.

Link Posted: 9/14/2005 9:10:51 AM EDT
[#17]
Well that is the aria that I was thinking also: there are thousands of acres north of mio west of alpena and east of Gaylord. It sounds good to me. I think the scanner is a good Idea also I have several. I have some other ideas about radios as well if you are interested? . From what you have said radio communications would be good.it would be close enough to talk direct.

Sounds good lets see if we get any other response.

I think it could work out very well I really don’t think that the masses will head north until much later, Maby too much later to do them any good. And if they have no plans in place  even fewer. At least to any place out in the woods.          
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 7:43:46 PM EDT
[#18]
I've got a small place in between Gladwin & West Branch, very near the tidabiwassi(sp?) river, it's got state land all around by it. There is plenty of wild game around for food, at least most of the year! It's got a well, but I'd need to bring My generator to run it in a SHTF situation.

I've got a few "Back" ways to get to it, if I can get out past "The City".

It's not secure enough for me to stockpile stuff at it, so it's only got minimal stuff at any one time.

But there is deer, turkey, Ect in the woods, and fish in the river. I've got plenty of fire wood to cook over.

There isn't room enough inside to sleep more than 1 more person(with my family) But...

I'd be able to add a few "Extra places" around the campfire, and a place to pitch a tent for those who were SOL on a BO location.

Tall Shadow
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 4:24:08 AM EDT
[#19]
Tall_Shadow

That sounds Great: I know there are lots of places like you have that we can all hold up.  you might try a root cellar to stash stuff in usually they can be built very secure and can be hidden well. After a year or two of growth on and around it if your are lucky it can not be found and with it being under ground it is very secure. It also keeps food good in the cool space.  
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 6:17:38 AM EDT
[#20]

I have some other ideas about radios as well if you are interested?

Don't hold back!!
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 8:05:08 AM EDT
[#21]
G_22

EM in route
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 10:59:36 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
Tall_Shadow

That sounds Great: I know there are lots of places like you have that we can all hold up.  you might try a root cellar to stash stuff in usually they can be built very secure and can be hidden well. After a year or two of growth on and around it if your are lucky it can not be found and with it being under ground it is very secure. It also keeps food good in the cool space.  

I thought about that, but there are two problem with doing it at My BOL.

(A.) The house(cabin) is on a slab, so digging under it would be troublesome.
(B.) The water table around the property is pretty shallow. I know that I couldn't dig very deep at all, and still expect it to be dry inside.

Tall Shadow
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 5:15:30 AM EDT
[#23]
Well Here are some Ideas that I think are better than using the Family radios that are so readily available. The FCC has set aside A few frequencies’ that can be used to communicate with your family. They call it MURS the below listed frequency’s can be used on a limited 2 watt output. But unlike Family radios they allow you to use larger antennas, not rubber duck negative gain antennas. They also allow you to use large base station antennas. Extending your range, because of antenna and the frequency you are using can be used up to 20 miles They also allow you to use large mobile antennas extending you range a lot    

Channel (MHz) [95.632]
   151.820 MHz 2-Watt
   151.880 MHz 2-Watt
   151.940 MHz 2-Watt
   154.570 MHz 2-Watt
   154.600 MHz 2-Watt

The FCC Rules permit connecting an external antenna to your MURS radio. However, the Rules limit the height of your antenna to a maximum of 20 feet over the mounting structure (exclusive of the tower, mast or pole on which it is mounted), or to 60 feet above ground, whichever is greater.

At the 150 MHz frequencies of MURS, communications range is dependent on antenna height relative to the surrounding environment. Range between two handheld MURS radios will vary, but should be between a half mile to perhaps several miles (in open terrain with no obstacles). If you are using the radios inside a vehicle, the range will be somewhat less.

An advantage of MURS is that you may connect an external antenna to your radio. Using an antenna mounted on the vehicle's roof, and communicating with another similar unit, you should expect to get at least a couple of miles (except in the most harsh conditions), and possibly up to ten miles or more.

Using a base station-type antenna, you should be able to communicate with a vehicular-type MURS unit described in the previous paragraph over a range of three to perhaps ten or fifteen miles. From that same base station, you might get two to six miles communicating with a MURS handheld radio.

Base-to-base station communications should be possible over at least several miles, perhaps up to twenty miles or more on a clear channel. However, this kind of operation is not consistent with the traditional use of these frequencies for short-range base-to-mobile and mobile-to-mobile communications.

Do I need a license to operate a MURS unit?

No license will be issued, and none is required. [95.1301] You are allowed to operate a MURS unit if you are not a representative of a foreign government, and if you cooperate in the selection and use of channels in order to reduce interference to others. [95.1309]
 Are personal and family communications permitted?

Yes. Even though the five MURS frequencies were formerly available only for business communications (authorized under 90.31 of the FCC Rules), the FCC's creation of the
MURS makes those frequencies also available for personal and family communications. Business communications are also still permitted.

The FCC Rules [95.1311] prohibit connecting your MURS radio to a "booster" or to a power amplifier. The Rules limit you to a maximum of 2 watts transmitter power output (TPO). [95.639(h)]

If you want to take it another it to another level there are some business band frequency’s that have been set aside in the 150 band, They do require a license and some paper work. But both can be had with the proper paper work. The advantage here is you can go up to 110 watts and use large antennas also. With a Base and a mobile set up you could go 30 miles base to mobile and up to 20 between mobile    

154.515                Business 110 watt
154.540                Business

The last possible one that I can think of is getting a Ham license.  The used equipment is cheep, the distance is unlimited and it is cheep to get the license.

In my opinion only any of the above is better than using the “family Radios” that limit everything including the change that you Might be able to get a hold of your family.  
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 4:50:39 AM EDT
[#24]
Tall Shadow

I like that area.  We are looking for someplace around there.  As it is now we spend our money staying at The Lost Arrow.  We have been going there for about 18 years or so.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 3:41:27 AM EDT
[#25]
Quinn556

There is a lot of stuff for sale up in the NE side of Michigan, And I think people are starting to deal and give some better deals. Good Luck
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 7:15:59 AM EDT
[#26]

An advantage of MURS is that you may connect an external antenna to your radio. Using an antenna mounted on the vehicle's roof, and communicating with another similar unit, you should expect to get at least a couple of miles (except in the most harsh conditions), and possibly up to ten miles or more.

I have an external antenna that was made for my Midland 2-ways. I think they are 3 watt on "low" and 4 watt on "high".The antenna greatly increases the reception, especially from vehicle to vehicle.
Am I not allowed to use the antenna without a license?
Is there a maximum wattage output for 2-ways before you need a license?

I've seen that Midland has come out with a 5 watt 15mile radius 2-way for $69.99.

Thanks for any help, I'm uneducated in the radio world!!
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 8:30:33 AM EDT
[#27]
G_22

is that a familey radio on 420 mhz or a MURS radio on 150 mhz?

That depends on weither you are on the familey radio 420 Mhz band or on the MURS
154 mhz band. That is why I wondered. As well as being able to use outside antennas the chang from 420 Mhz to 150 Mhz makes as much difference as adding the outside antenna. On the  MURS
you can use an outside antenna at two watts with out a licence. it will extend your distance a lot Do you know witch band you are on it does make a big difference.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 3:24:16 PM EDT
[#28]
462.5500 ~ 467.7125 MHz is what the manual says.

2.5 Watts HI, 0.5 Watts LO
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 4:34:28 AM EDT
[#29]
G_22

That is even higher into the family radio range, in the 420MHZ and up range. My only point in all of this is I want to try to maximize my ability to communicate with my family members when the time comes that all types of standard communications are not working.

The higher in frequency you go the less range you get. That’s not to say if I was on a mountain top and my wife was on another 30 miles away I could probably talk to her, but the problem is that at that frequency anything “ Anything” that is in the way hills, trees , buildings bridges, or just general landscape will severely cut your range.

I have several ham repeater systems operating here in Michigan. I use 430 MHZ to link the transmitter and receiver locations together. I have one that because of the terrain I am not able to run a link 7 miles away. And that is at 430 MHZ, That is with a beam antenna 40 feet in the air and using 10 watts.

The funny part of it Is while I am trying to get the link working I am using a hand held  with a rubber duck antenna, and I am able to talk to the guy on the other end that also has a  hand held with A rubber duck antenna, but that is at 145 MHZ with 5 watts. The 150 MHZ will penetrate and travel through more than the 460 MHZ signal.

I would use 144 MHZ or even 220 MHZ to link the systems but, I am governed by Michigan repeater council and FCC requirements. As to where I can use links for repeaters.

I guess the whole point in all of this is If I am left to my own resources to stay in contact with my family in a SHTF type of thing, I want the best possible equipment at the best working frequency  possible to stay in contact with them. And for my two cents worth that will be some where in the 100 to 200 MHZ range. The 154 MHZ MURS falls right in the middle of that range. I hope this helps. Good Luck      
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 4:36:14 AM EDT
[#30]
When I had a place up in Rose City, I always figured once I got past the Tri-city area, I'd be home free.  I had it figured out that after get so far up, I get off M-33 and head for the side roads.

A rally point would be a good idea. What about the Rose City oil fields? Lots of good cover, and lots of pipes and wells. Even some storage tanks.

I have my retreat for now in the Thumb, just have to get over I-69 and I home free. But I'm looking for land up around Alpenea. Seen some choice pieces of land up there that butt-up to state land.

Link Posted: 9/20/2005 5:13:06 AM EDT
[#31]
Thanks Scoutmaster

When I get a little extra cash i'm going to look into something with a lower frequency.

Ice fishing on Hubbard Lake I was able to talk to my buddy who was on the south shore and I was on the north shore. (approx 7 miles) It was clear as a bell with the family radios.

On the other hand, in our vehicles on the way home, we stayed on 75 & my buddy branched off around the Holly exit & we lost communication within a mile or less. (seperated by heavy woods)

How are regular CB or hand held CB radios compared to MURS?
I have a quick connect vehicle CB (40 chanel Cobra) but never use it because none of my other friends have one.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 5:39:03 AM EDT
[#32]
G_22

The CB rigs  are a littler better than the family radios as far as range, But again they are operating at 5 watts and they usually have outside antennas. I would not use those myself as ,My belief is that they are unreliable and will be different coverage every day and require large antenns. Other than to play with I would never use the hand held CB , You can’t get a big enough antenna or enough power out to make them work.  

Did you get the IM I sent you?

If you are not able to get into the ham stuff, (Usually is a problem as most guys whole family)( they will not participate)  then I think the 154 area with the licensing required is the best bet, then you can license several units and the whole family can be hooked up and if you get the right license and frequency choice  you can use up to 110 watts. That increased the range like you would not believe.

At our BO location up north my father has a 35 mile range that he can talk to the Mobil’s., But if you can’t do it that way, the MURS stuff would be next best. Still using outside antenna at 2 watts still gives at least two times the coverage that the family radio at 460 mhz would. Hope that helps Good Luck

PS check out E-Bay lots of stuff Cheep
Check Out (Radio link

If the link does not work try E-bay number 5869969202
On this frequency they will out perform the 460MHZ family big time.
I would bet if you pick up one of there radios I could talk to you from 20 miles away

Let me know what you think

Link Posted: 9/20/2005 10:11:34 AM EDT
[#33]
WolfClan

Try a little farther west around Atlanta, Hillman Lewiston, and Mio there is a lot around that area and lots of the property around there is Private, but some state also. And the price is not quite as bad as the Alpena area. Water is easy to get, lots of flows in the area.
Rose City has several that flows right in town
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 2:18:41 PM EDT
[#34]
Yes, Atlanta and Hillman seem to be the best spots that I have found. I hope to take a look up next summer. Maybe build a couple pole barns and live up there full-time, I hope.

I would got back around Rose City, but I really got in it with the local white trash. I wouldn't go back, very bad blood there. I miss going up there, I had my place on W. Heath Rd and loved it. My family had that place for 35 yrs.

Link Posted: 9/20/2005 6:03:17 PM EDT
[#35]
I've been reading this thread with some interest.  I have a couple ideas to ponder.

When you consider bugging out to state land, there is plenty west out M-61 as well as north of Standish.  Much of it is well suited to camping.

Crossing the Saginaw River in a "situation" may be best done by heading west toward St.Charles then turn north.

Snow can be an obstacle and with 1000's of crazed downstaters bugging north you'd better have your combat driving skills ready.  Just like any weekend

Bugging in for us happens about 3 times a year.  We lose power often enough & most everyone has some sort of preparations in place.

Just remember, us "wood ticks" are prepared to defend what we have also
Link Posted: 9/26/2005 3:33:42 AM EDT
[#36]
HELLO ALL

Just got back from a little fishing trip in northern Canada, Up near White River, Fishing was ok Camping back in the bush was great. WE where about 20 miles off the highway. on a very large lake.

It gave me a good chance to test out some of the Family radios and  the Vhf ones that I use also. WOW what a difference. We where on the south end of a lake that is only about 6 miles long. We started having problems out of range. While using the VHF we had plenty of range left and more. All the way up their wqe also tried them out and found that every time the family radios carped out the VHF picked it up fine.

We had a chance to use some of our cooking skills out in the bush including some fresh fish out of the lake. It was Great. I would have liked to stay there another week or two for sure.  

I think you are right about heading west to getaway from the Saginaw river. If one waits to bug out that would be necessary. I hope to be out and in the north country before the Masses figure out that it is a problem. I like the Idea of using some of the State land not the parks but some of it that is not developed yet. Sounds like a good Idea to me It might be an Idea to have a camp out there some time in the furture. I did not see any wood ticks but it might have been a little cold,
I am all for it if any of you all are. But its good to be back  

PS

Some one in one of the above threads was talking about a camp out: Still wondering how many of you would be interested in putting something together here in Michigan? If we do it on state land as sesgested I am sure we will need to be a little careful with the Gun range part of it. Unless we can find a place that heavy firing will work. Not sure what the DNR would think But we can check if we have have any interest????????        

Link Posted: 9/29/2005 9:28:21 AM EDT
[#37]
I purpose a 154.600 mhz  under 2 watts  Survival  emergency net for Michigan SF anyone interested??
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 10:04:32 AM EDT
[#38]
I would, but I don't have a HAM radio.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 10:08:10 AM EDT
[#39]
I would be heading straight up to Lincoln, I belong to a private club up there that has a few thousand acres all fenced in.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 10:48:42 AM EDT
[#40]
WolfClan
The 154.600 is a family radio no license needed  radio frequency,  NOT HAM.  NO license is needed if you stay under 2 watts. Out side antennas can be used both in the car and in the house that will increase coverage to as much as 15 or 20 miles.
Radio shack and e-bay has them for under $50.00. But everyone should get the ones that uses  a External antenna  that can be hooked up to. Not the hand held with rubber duck.

JYogi

I will also be heading north About 30 miles north of where you will be. All I am thinking it would be nice for us Michganders to get together and move together or at least be able to communicate and know if some of us are going in the same direction: in case we ran into trouble or needed help.

Jyogi You may have know a good frend that died a few years ago (Barton City Bill )

It would be nice if we had 10 or 15 of us that are heading north to move togather, Who would try to stop us?MURS radios(Family Radios)

I like this little mobil oneMobile rig

This one is kind of nice also: Remember you can get two and talk to the Family 15 miles awayanother
Link Posted: 9/30/2005 8:15:31 PM EDT
[#41]
Tagging this thread because although it's likely it will never be needed, it's good to know it's been covered. SE MI area here, not bringing many mouths but lotsa ammo.
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 6:31:06 AM EDT
[#42]
I did a Little experiment this week end::
Local Frequencys
I have been listening now for several weeks and this weekend I made a trip up to the BOL to winterize the place and did a lot of listening on as many for the frequency’s as I could.

On a lot of the UHF 400MHZ and up I found local chatter that was very local and very short range.
All of this was done with a center mounted 5/8 wave antenna mobile mounted antenna. On the 400MHZ and up I found that within 4 or 5 miles I was not able to hear the conversations any more.

On the 150 MHZ however I found almost no traffic at all. There where a few in the southern part of the state but as I traveled north there was nothing. Several hours went by on the VHF while in Alpena and I still heard nothing. I did hear Wal-Mart and K-Mart using the short-range 460MHZ family radios.   The few that I did here down in the southern part of the state I could here for several miles.  Seems like a better choice for travel and Mobil communications.

Any way With all of us in Survival Mode I wanted to see what you all think, At least we would know where to look for each other if we decided to trust anyone.?????

These are what we have to choose from
MURS

Channel (MHz) [95.632]
151.820 MHz 2-Watt
151.880 MHz 2-Watt
151.940 MHz 2-Watt
154.570 MHz 2-Watt
154.600 MHz 2-Watt

FRS

GMRS
Station Type Frequency (MHz)
mobile station or small base station operating in the simplex mode*
462.5625**
462.5875**
462.6125**
462.6375**
462.6625**
462.6875**
462.7125**

base station, mobile relay station, fixed station or mobile station

mobile station, control station or fixed station in a duplex system

Link Posted: 10/3/2005 9:48:07 AM EDT
[#43]
Don't take my lack of responce as non-interest. I am very interested.

Im absorbing information (and great info it is!) and doing some research, and saving some coin to get the best quality radio's that I can afford.

Thanks Scoutmaster,
Keep the tips coming, there excellent!!

G_22
Radio Newbie!
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 9:49:45 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
Don't take my lack of responce as non-interest. I am very interested.

Im absorbing information (and great info it is!) and doing some research, and saving some coin to get the best quality radio's that I can afford.
Thanks Scoutmaster,
Keep the tips coming, there excellent!!

G_22
Radio Newbie!

i am very glad to hear that. always buy the best gear possible, buy it once.
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 10:22:40 AM EDT
[#45]
G_22

Glad to hear that: Any info I can offer please ask. I have been in radio more years than I can remember. I built several of my own repeater systems and have gathered up a lot of partial information in those years.

As you so often hear Many times the book says one thing and in practical use it works another way.  
Whatever radio you choose Don’t use one of the ¼ wave antenna or a rubber duck antenna If you are going for range. They are both negative gain antennas.  Use a 5/8 wave mobile or a 3Db or higher gain antenna at the home. You will fine it will work much better.  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top