Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/8/2005 8:27:41 AM EDT
I love this pistol, as is evident by its constant presence on my hip. But, years of holster wear has taken its toll on the finish. I'd say it has about 50% of the blue remaining. During colder months, I wear it in an IWB, over a tucked t shirt with a button down over it. But during the summer, I just un-tuck a t shirt and the gun rides up against my side. Well, it has been hotter than Hades this summer, and I sweat like a whore in church. In the past this wasn't too bad of a problem as I was dutiful about keeping it clean at the end of each day by wiping it off and applying Birchwood Casey's Sheath to keep it rust free. Well, with the finish nearly finished, rust is becoming a real bear of a problem. I still mind the pistol like I always have, but it is still rusting. No serious corrosion yet, but I'm cleaning surface rust daily.

Long story short, I need to get this gun refinished. I like Ford's hard chrome, but I'd like to have it done locally if I can. I was forced to sell off most of my collection, and now I only have two handguns; My P7M8 and my M9. I can and have carried my M9 concealed, but only if I really dress for it. With winter coming on, I will be able to wear it more, but I'd rather have my P7. I need to find a finisher who can get the job done on the cheap (barely employed disabled veteran full time college student here), and can get my gun back to me relatively quickly.

Like I said, I like hard chrome. I'd prefer NP3, but dollar availability will probably dictate blue. Anyone know of a local smith who can fill the bill?

(Sorry for the unnecessarily long post...I just came from my Freshman Composition Class...)
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 9:31:29 AM EDT
[#1]
Bluing will not prevent rust.
I would suggest taking a look at KG Gun Kote or Dura Cote.
Those finishes are rustproof and hold up well.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 1:52:34 PM EDT
[#2]
In IWB holster with a sweat guard, or an OWB holster with a thumb snap with go along way to keeping a gun rust free.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 1:58:40 PM EDT
[#3]
I have a IWB Blade-Tech set up for my Glocks, but I rarely CCW the glock. I don't even carry IWB very often. I carry my S&W Sigma in a lined Gould&Goodrich pancake holster everyday.

I spray the inside of the holster with silicone every once and a while, and also polish the outside with clear carnauba wax. I have never had a rust problem.

That is not to day I don't wipe the gun down with a protectant, because I do every night.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 2:04:15 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

I know that, but it will do a lot better than bare steel.
Link Posted: 9/8/2005 2:46:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Gunnfixr check out www.trippresearch.com
they do hard chrome and the price is dam cheap I'm thinking of haveing one of my XD-'s done in hard chrome.
Link Posted: 9/9/2005 10:05:42 AM EDT
[#6]
For HC Tripp is the BEST he did my P7M8 and I hve been VERY happy with it

www.trippresearch.com

I would also suggest  RoGuard NP3 that stuff is AMAZING!!!
You shoot all day and then just wipe the gun with a cloth.

http://www.robarguns.com/DesktopDefault.aspx
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 4:12:22 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

My point (while not well defined) was that for about the same price, you can have a finish that will make you gun rustproof, while rebluing will only make your gun look nice for a short period of time and your problem will resurface again and again.

Properly applied Gun-Kote and Dura Cote will not rust.
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 3:10:05 PM EDT
[#8]
The P7's finnish is poor IMO, it will usually turn plum color. For stopping rust, try CORROSION-X, this stuff stops rust and its used for anything with a metal surface. some fishing reel companies are using it in their reels, and also used on airplanes and boats, guys hunting in salt water areas wipe their shotguns down with them. this stuff really is good!! and its the best lube then any I've ever used. BTW rust can also grow under a coating of oil. Goodluck
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 10:54:30 AM EDT
[#9]
You should have used Breakfree CLP.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 6:47:45 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

My point (while not well defined) was that for about the same price, you can have a finish that will make you gun rustproof, while rebluing will only make your gun look nice for a short period of time and your problem will resurface again and again.

Properly applied Gun-Kote and Dura Cote will not rust.

+1

Blueing is for looks.  

The Gun-kote, DuraCoat will actually protect the metal.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 4:56:53 AM EDT
[#11]
Try using Kroil to remove the rust and then use a good CLP or Eezox for rust preventative ( stuff works awesome!) then either have it redone in Duracoat or whatever floats your boat, but keep up with the maintenance. Good luck!
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 7:24:37 PM EDT
[#12]
Oh, beleieve me, I keep up on the maintenence, but it is futile considering the lack of finish.

I'm thinking hard chrome is going to be the way to go. I'd like Np3, but who can afford it?
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 5:42:47 AM EDT
[#13]
Hard chrome is a finish that people either love or hate.
The one downside is that once it's applied, it's there forever and other finishes will not adhere to it well.
If it chips, you're screwed.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top