Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/1/2005 12:43:58 PM EDT
Should I pass on the Show and go straight to the pit

The show stinks. Nothing good.

I think the gun show deals are dead.

Who is up for the pit?

ETA: I have an advance CCW Clas that day at LGC.

Can not make the pit.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 9:58:49 PM EDT
[#1]
You know, I've been going to the gun shows in MI for a few years, and it seems that depending on what your market is, you may or may not want to spend any time there.  The more rural the show, the more likely some local person will get a table and put some stuff worth buying on it.

I collect S&W revolvers -- I have over 50 and my knowledge of the guns is somewhat strong in comparison to the average buyer.  I bought guns that other people glossed over for the entire weekend.  I purchased a $325 629-1 4" magnaported at Birch Run, cleaned it up and put original wood on it.  I bought a wonderful 1960s Smith 41 22LR for $600, with the olympic compensator, and my most recent (at Gibraltar!) was a 25-5 (45 Colt) with presentation grips that probably had 50 rounds put through it for $500 with leather, speedloaders, and a few other accessories.  Without being a S&W collector and having an in-depth knowledge of the rarity of some of the guns (and the desirability), I would have never spotted them, and frankly, no one else would pay this but for my collection, I am very satisfied.  Some are easy to spot -- I bought a NIB Glock 20C for $340 and a NIB XD compact for $370 when they were recently released.  The Glock was at the silverdome.

That represents the total fruits of my labor for three years.  But, I'm selective.  I've seen other good deals that no one is taking.  I have been offered a ported commander-sized stainless 1911 from Springfield NIB for $470, a wicked nice Colt Diamondback 6" with a 2x EER scope for $550 that looked brand new, and various other good buys.  I can't spot most of them, I believe.

I believe the deals are still there.  Look for people carrying a case and ask them what's in it or tables that look like no FFL, just personal items.  Have cash in hand and flash it when you're dealing.  Be fair and curteous and deals are made.

That being said, the silverdome is a wasteland and I've never even heard of a good deal at that show (besisdes mine above).  Seems like a lot of business is done on the least expensive guns from some of the state's less liked retailers.  You can't even approach a certain table that has a lot of inexpensive handguns from manufacturers that are out of business (Standard arms, American Derringer, etc.).  At least that company finally repriced their pre-ban hicaps down to, oh, say, twice the price of a new mag instead of 10x.  Oh yeah, and a worked over Steyr AUG for $6K.  Sign me up.

Anyone ever found a deal at the dome?

-Dan
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 5:24:56 AM EDT
[#2]
Anyone going to this Silverdome show better make sure it's not canceled due to houseing New Orleans refugees.
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 9:48:30 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Anyone going to this Silverdome show better make sure it's not canceled due to houseing New Orleans refugees.

+1
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 11:11:18 AM EDT
[#4]
I have not heard of Pontiac or Michigan stepping up to the plate and making an offers to house people at the Silverdome...
Too bad, it would be a very good move for the state but I think Pontiac is too close minded with their elections coming up to offer and we all know good ole Jen Jen won't bother with that as she doesn't care about her public image, shed rather figure out a way to get a new couch for her office.
It would be a good move for the state to step up and do this especially seeing as we just had the All star game here and have the Superbowl coming up.

Oh wait...  Thats right guys, we can't use the Silverdome as it's being used daily as a big earning drive in movie theater....  Or at least thats the excuse they will use evening though that takes up only about 20% of the parking lot.

Quoted:

Link Posted: 9/4/2005 3:25:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Wonder where Kwame plans to put them all? You guys do know that he offered, right?

What's wrong with putting them to work on disaster recovery? Why do they deserve a check and a free ride for doing NOTHING?

Dave
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 5:38:06 PM EDT
[#6]
It was on the news that Gov. Gran is opening Michigan to 10,000 and Det. Mayor says he wants some also.  As I heard it they were coming to Grand Rapids for a few and then to be placed all around the state.

Quoted:
I have not heard of Pontiac or Michigan stepping up to the plate and making an offers to house people at the Silverdome...
Too bad, it would be a very good move for the state but I think Pontiac is too close minded with their elections coming up to offer and we all know good ole Jen Jen won't bother with that as she doesn't care about her public image, shed rather figure out a way to get a new couch for her office.
It would be a good move for the state to step up and do this especially seeing as we just had the All star game here and have the Superbowl coming up.

Oh wait...  Thats right guys, we can't use the Silverdome as it's being used daily as a big earning drive in movie theater....  Or at least thats the excuse they will use evening though that takes up only about 20% of the parking lot.

Quoted:

Link Posted: 9/4/2005 5:45:51 PM EDT
[#7]
Wow thats quite a surprise.
Thanks for the info!
Link Posted: 9/4/2005 9:47:56 PM EDT
[#8]
I usually buy ammo at these shows, beats paying shipping but sometimes its just easier to pay the shipping, i've found some nice deals at the dome over the years but all in all the show is crap, but i know when the show comes i'll go anyway its only fifteen minutes from where i live (bloomfield hills). I bought two #1mk3 enfield grenade launchers (cup style) for ten bucks each at the last show, that was my deal, there worth a hundred bucks each, as far as guns go its all over priced especially when my dealer charges me fifteen bucks for a transaction and all the C&R stuff i just buy direct with my license. McM
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 9:53:42 AM EDT
[#9]
The City of Pontiac has Graciously offered their "Great" White Elephant to the New Orleans Saints:

Oakland Press Article 9/2/2005
Link Posted: 9/5/2005 1:19:16 PM EDT
[#10]
We must be cursed. What are the chances that one city could have the two worst football teams in the NFL use the same arena as ther home turf? I fear the end is comming! UUGGGHH!!!!!!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top