Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/15/2005 3:49:41 PM EDT
             The last few weeks I've been trying to kill the bees that have taken up residence under/behind my SIDING, just above the cinder block foundation ( the cement you see is where I filled the cracks around the house early in the Summer, just haven't touched up yet )  I have been spraying 2-3 times a day with the standard Ortho/Raid sprays and they are not doing the trick.

These little bastages are tougher that the wasps and yellow jackets lately ...

What products can you guy's suggest withought having to rip off the siding ?????

Thank's in advance,

Steve
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 4:25:13 PM EDT
[#1]
I had the same thing happen and had to call a professional.  The bees were gone in a week.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 10:21:33 PM EDT
[#2]
Last summer the neighbors had to have the outside wall to their bedroom ripped out and replaced because of bee's had made a nest in the walls.  

I have found places in my house that wasps and bees keep going into and behind the siding of my place.  I have a solution of bug killer ( I think it is Sevin or something like that) in a pressure garden sprayer.  I spray the hell ouit of the area that the bastards are going into and out of and then caulk the hell out of the area.  

It seems to work.  

Also if they are real bad, you might have to call a pro and follow him around and caulk the shit out of your house.  
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 5:29:51 AM EDT
[#3]
What I have found to work very well on bees/wasp/hornets/other insects is Brake Clean.  I had a few cracks int he foundation of the garage just like yours that bees had gotten into and the standard insect sprays didn't seem to bother them.  They dropped instantly when hit with Brake Clean though.  I caulked all the cracks afterwards and that was the end of them.

I haven't had any problems with the Brake Clean affecting the white siding I have, but if you spray enough of it and it gets onto the grass, it will kill the grass.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 5:48:25 AM EDT
[#4]
+1 on the brake clean. i use it at work when bees and wasps come around. i havent seen any live through it.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 3:24:55 PM EDT
[#5]
Break Clean.

For even more fun and a guaranteed knockout, try a can of WD-40 and a lighter.
Short bursts of flame, as to not set anything on fire have worked miracles for years.

Link Posted: 8/16/2005 6:23:09 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 9:29:19 PM EDT
[#7]
Starting fluid will good a good job aswell.I have wood siding on my home and a couple of the boards are realy not  too flush and i get alot of nests every summer .I also bought this tuff from Home Depot,can`t remember the name but its in a white can,that shit works realy damm good.knocks right out of the air with one blast also it kills the nest.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 3:25:22 AM EDT
[#8]
Wow, very timely thread.  I've got the big black and yellow bumble bees in my fron yard.  I think they are in chipmunk burrows.  I didn't know thet were there until the 14yr old got stung while mowing the lawn.  I've been hiting them with the hose until I can deal them a deciding blow with chemicals.  
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 6:53:22 PM EDT
[#9]
Every year we get a nest, or two, of Yellow jackets somewhere in, or around Our yard/house.
Evil little bastards!

I've used sprays and foams, but the two things that I've found to kill any kind of creepy crawly/flying things are:

(A.) "Dusting" You used to be able to get "Dursban" based dust. This stuff really kicked the crap out to ANY bug, and kept on doing it for MONTHS!, but now that it's been banned, you'll be looking for a "Pyrethrin"(Made from chrysanthemum plant extracts) based dust. By using a "Duster" you'll blow the dust into the nest, where the insects will track through it and ingest it when they clean themselves= Very Dead Bugs! The Pyrethrin based dust isn't effective long(The artificial versions last a little longer) . Some of these might have a few added chemicals to inhibit eggs, or keep them effective longer, or give them better "Knock down" power.

(B.) Pyrethrin based sprays. These sprays are great for the fast knock down power that they show when used on creepy crawlys! Most of your "Wasp & Hornet" sprays use these chemicals. They are fast acting, but short lived.

There are many other things that work, brake cleaner, starting fluid, Lysol & a lighter...... But test out what you are going to use, on what/were you are going to use it...... first!

Tall Shadow
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top