Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/9/2005 12:28:58 PM EDT
I got the permit (3 slips, seller copy, MSP copy, and local PD copy).

I'll tell ya what... this was my first time getting a permit for a pistol and will probably be the last time I ever think about getting a pistol. This is a royal PITA and does not make any sense. I think I'll stick with long guns in the future.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 6:18:09 PM EDT
[#1]
HA!
You haven't gone back and actually registered your purchase yet have you?

Equally as frustrating.....depending on where you live.
My little town is a snap but still a PITA to have to go there twice.
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 6:45:14 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/9/2005 10:13:55 PM EDT
[#3]
It wasnt too bad for me.I stopped at the PD,then headed to the store*jays*then back to the PD and then home.The funny thing was when the lady was going over the test,at first she said i got 2 wrong then  she realy looked over the test and only got one wrong.All in all,it took me longer to drive to Jays than anything else.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 3:42:24 AM EDT
[#4]
Test?

CCW = no purchase permit required  You must, however, report to Sheriff office for "saftey inspection"

In my case the deputy usually says something like "Wow, nice gun"
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 4:42:56 AM EDT
[#5]
Yep, I just picked up a Browning Buckmark, 5 minutes and 5 dollars in the Sherrif's Dept to get the permit, went to Silver Bullet Firearms a couple of days later, bought the pistol, went to a different  Sherrif's Dept Substation, the female deputy opened the case and said "That is a nice little gun!", smiled, checked the serial number, filled out a form, and sent me on my way.

I don't appreciate the fact that I have to register my handguns, but I do appreciate fast and courteous service when doing so.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 5:53:08 AM EDT
[#6]
Right now permits are free, but after 9/1/05 our local PD is charging $5 for the notary signature.
They are only open 2 days a week and registration is available 6 hours per week total... so I have to juggle my work schedule around the PD schedule. It'll probably be the last time I purchase a handgun.
Link Posted: 8/10/2005 8:26:17 PM EDT
[#7]
well besides the process being BS in the first place, id have to say i had no problems what so ever.

i went in, they did their thing, no hassels. I brought the gun back, the lady was checking it in and a cop walked up and took a look and started talking with me about the gun, was a niceguy.

plan on doing that tomorrow, gonna pick up 2 RRA lowers and buy a XD .40 subcompact
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 12:55:42 AM EDT
[#8]
Don't say this will be the last time. That is why these things are put in place. They hope you won't buy anymore pistols. You must go buy another pistol right away!!! If not, the gun grabbers win! Oh, and get your CPL (concealed pistol permit) and you don't have to deal with it.
Link Posted: 8/11/2005 8:31:12 AM EDT
[#9]
Having a carry permit just pushed the burden on people like me, the dealers. We have to still do the three part initial permit thing and mail it into the State Police. Nice and easy for you CLP holders, pain tin the ass for me the dealer. I'm surprised dealers don't start charging extra for CPL users as it adds about 30 minutes to my processing of a handgun sale.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 5:11:49 PM EDT
[#10]
I have a quick question about getting the purchase permit.

j just bought a pistol off gunbroker, and it should arrive at my FFL any day now.  Anyways, my problem lies here:  

I just got a job doing12 hour shifts, monday - friday, 8 am to 8pm.  I can't miss a day of work for like 90 days.  I have to go to the PD and get my purchase permit.  I'm no stranger to getting purhase permits, but I need to find a way to get one while I work.

I know my local PD only does them M-F during from like 9-4.  So, can I go to a local sheriff's department or state police to get one on a Saturday, or do they not do them on Saturdays anywhere?

OR

Can I go to the local PD in the city where I work, which is not the city where I live?  Maybe I could do it on lunchbreak is why I ask.

Link Posted: 8/12/2005 5:35:00 PM EDT
[#11]
I was under the impression you HAD to get it where you lived or in other words from the PD that had jurisdiction over your place of residence.  Thought you didn't really have options.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 5:44:18 PM EDT
[#12]
Hmm...  Yeah I was thinkng that too, was just hoping that maybe I was mistaken.
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 4:50:16 AM EDT
[#13]
Call your local PD and ask them (Records department). Usually it's at the local PD where you live.
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 4:54:20 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

I don't appreciate the fact that I have to register my handguns, but I do appreciate fast and courteous service when doing so.

I hope you had courteous service at the Silver bullet too... that's where I work.  Like the pistol?
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 10:58:51 AM EDT
[#15]
The key word being "Little". I think she might have been making fun of your manhood. LOL

If I heard the female deputy utter any word such as "little" or "cute", I would take that gun back to the dealer and come back with biggest, uglyest damn gun I could find.

AKARFAN
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top