Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/3/2005 5:21:44 PM EDT
I have been looking high and low and can't find them here or anywhere.

Any help would be appreciated.

jim
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 5:29:25 PM EDT
[#1]
Last I saw....

Saturday &  Sunday 10AM to 6PM
Mon & Tue 3PM to Dusk
Wed 10AM to Dusk
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 6:35:28 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks!
Link Posted: 8/3/2005 9:35:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Only thing I could find was an address and phone number.

DNR BALD MT RECREATION AREA
2500 KERN RD
LAKE ORION
248-814-9193
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 4:47:53 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Last I saw....

Mon & Tue 3PM to Dusk
Wed 10AM to Dusk

Nope, only Sun, Wed, and Saturday. I'm not sure when they opened on Mon and tuesday, but I know for a fact they are open on S, W, and Sat from 1000 hours on.
100yd, 50yd, and 25 yd pistol/rifle/shotgun. The range boards are full of holes most of the time from the big bore rifles or shotguns.

$5 per shooter, SINGLE LOAD ONLY, they WILL stress that every 5 seconds.

The road leading to/fro the range is 100% crappy dirt roads with lots of holes in the ground and rocks, lots of rocks. I saw people take their new BMW, Corvettes, Lexus SUVs, Mercedes, etc... to Bald Mountain. Are they nuts or filthy rich?

Link Posted: 8/4/2005 5:37:01 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Only thing I could find was an address and phone number.

DNR BALD MT RECREATION AREA
2500 KERN RD
LAKE ORION
248-814-9193

I tried calling them at several numbers I found online but didn't have any luck... And the Michigan DNR website was down last night.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 5:40:46 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Last I saw....

Mon & Tue 3PM to Dusk
Wed 10AM to Dusk

Nope, only Sun, Wed, and Saturday. I'm not sure when they opened on Mon and tuesday, but I know for a fact they are open on S, W, and Sat from 1000 hours on.
100yd, 50yd, and 25 yd pistol/rifle/shotgun. The range boards are full of holes most of the time from the big bore rifles or shotguns.

$5 per shooter, SINGLE LOAD ONLY, they WILL stress that every 5 seconds.

The road leading to/fro the range is 100% crappy dirt roads with lots of holes in the ground and rocks, lots of rocks. I saw people take their new BMW, Corvettes, Lexus SUVs, Mercedes, etc... to Bald Mountain. Are they nuts or filthy rich?

I know they are closed on Fridays. How do I know? I drove the 35-40 minutes from my house, pulled up at the gate, and read the board. Ugh. They really need to publish some dang hours on the Web.

The range boards are messed up at every range I go to that has them. It's a fact of life that if you let people shoot there, they're going to shoot the baffles.

The single load only bugs me when I shoot ARs or AKs there... But M1as are real easy to do that with.

Some of us have 4x4 trucks and don't mind popping it into 4wd to keep the seals lubed once in a while

(Make no mistake, I'd rather have a nice clean full on tactical outdoor range where I can practice rapid fire if I so choose... but there aren't many places like that around and the Pit sounds more and more like a place I don't want to go every time someone posts a "got muzzle swept at the Pit" or "Some jerk left XXXXXX at the Pit" thread)
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 5:53:24 AM EDT
[#7]
macman: yeah, I choose safety over anything. I may go to Bald Mountain this or next weekend to test out my AR-15.

Here is their phone # (248) 814-9193.

My comment regarding the road conditions wasn't to indicate lack of traction. It's the fact the roads SUCK. You'll get dings and wear out suspension components in no time flat.
Link Posted: 8/4/2005 6:37:42 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
macman: yeah, I choose safety over anything. I may go to Bald Mountain this or next weekend to test out my AR-15.

Here is their phone # (248) 814-9193.

My comment regarding the road conditions wasn't to indicate lack of traction. It's the fact the roads SUCK. You'll get dings and wear out suspension components in no time flat.

Huh, thanks for posting the phone #... the number has been "temporarily disconnected"...  

Gotcha on the traction.

Take care.

Edit: I just called the main # for Bald Mountain... They said that the range's phones were knocked out by lightning... That explains that. The # they listed was 814-9193 so I'll call there on Sat.
Link Posted: 8/5/2005 4:42:11 AM EDT
[#9]
I've used that # for about a year to call and see if they're open.

I know they've been open Sat and Sun from 10AM to dusk for at least a year now. They used to have summer/winter rules in effect, but the Range Nazi may come in really late on Saturdays. I'd advise you to arrive around 1030 but not too late when all the yahoos who just bought guns start to show up. They don't even know the caliber of their firearms and buy ammo at the pro shop, or they don't know how to use their guns. EEK.

IMHO Bald Mountain has one of the finest benches in the area. Pontiac Lake benches are too small and quickly fill up. If you're RH and get stuck on the LH table, you're SOL. You also get a 3rd degree sunburn after shooting for 1 hour from the lack of shade.

Link Posted: 8/12/2005 12:35:51 PM EDT
[#10]
Macman: are they still open?
I called their # and the ring was kind of weird, no one picked up.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 1:05:34 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Macman: are they still open?
I called their # and the ring was kind of weird, no one picked up.

I never made it out there last Monday. I don't think they were open anyway. I do know they're not open on Fridays. Ask me how I know?

I drove out there one Friday thinking they'd be open all week. Nope.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 1:21:37 PM EDT
[#12]
wait I thought I posted they were only open Sunday, Wednesday and Saturday?
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 3:23:08 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
wait I thought I posted they were only open Sunday, Wednesday and Saturday?

Yeah, I couldn't remember ... I didn't make it out there anyway  
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 12:10:11 PM EDT
[#14]
It's open on Sun, Wed, and Saturday 10AM-6PM, and Monday/Tuesday for Clays ONLY (IIRC).
I was there today at the 25 yd line... there are way too many blackpowder shooters smoking up the place. Bolt guns galore, etc...

But for $5, it was a safe and clean environment to function test my AR-15 (finally got it to cycle Wolf).

The rifle range officer is a real nutjob - he likes to pack people together even though there are empty spots all over the place, and he yelled at me for switching spots because I didn't want to shoot next to a blackpowder gun. I've seen at least 4 other RO's at Bald Mountain and none of them ever gave me this much shit about spots... They will keep reminding you about single load only, etc...

Their intercom system is busted so just keep an eye on what everyone else is doing and you'll be fine.

Don't cross the yellow line after a cease fire, so when he calls 1 shot to cease fire, stop! Open your action (lock the bolt open on the AR-15), grab your staple gun and targets and stand behind the yellow line twiddling your thumbs for his ass to come over and inspect every rifle.
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 12:30:06 PM EDT
[#15]
Huh. Must not have been Pete. He enforces the range rules but he's a good guy.

I gotta get more time to get back out there!
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 12:43:07 PM EDT
[#16]
Can you describe Pete?
There's a shorter guy with a mustache.
There's a taller guy who talks slower.
There's a shorter older guy (the RO for today).

The 2nd guy seems to be much nicer.
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 12:58:31 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Can you describe Pete?
There's a shorter guy with a mustache.
There's a taller guy who talks slower.
There's a shorter older guy (the RO for today).

The 2nd guy seems to be much nicer.

Pete was a taller guy, no facial hair that I remember. Sounds like him. I don't know how many ROs they have, but it sounds like it could be him.
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 1:09:43 PM EDT
[#18]
It must be him then.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top