Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/26/2005 8:55:12 AM EDT
Has anyone attempted to register an AR-15 lower receiver for the purpose of building a pistol? Can it be done in our great state? I would like to build one myself.
If possible, is there a maximum or minimum barrel length including a flash hider? Are there any restrictions on having hand guards on the upper half? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks, Craig
Link Posted: 4/26/2005 1:57:35 PM EDT
[#1]
I'm guessing different counties will do things differently but in Allegan county, I took my stripped pistol lower in and registered it.  They asked me how long of barrel and how high capacity I planned to use so they could enter it in the system.  
You can always call first to see if they'll register just a lower.
Link Posted: 4/26/2005 2:00:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Oops, one more thing.  We are still a "no ban" state.  You can have a flash suppressor and handguards, etc. on your pistol.
Link Posted: 4/26/2005 4:35:33 PM EDT
[#3]
chickrepelent,
What length barrel did you use, and what did you use for a buffer. Can a regular collapsible stock be used? Would an 11.5" barrel be to long?
Craig
Link Posted: 4/27/2005 5:29:34 AM EDT
[#4]
I bought a stripped AR lower 3 or 4 years ago. When the ban ended last Sept. I decided to build a pistol.  I called the state police and asked them what I needed to do. They (there is a woman who answers all firearms questions, but I can't remember her name) told me that they do not consider a stripped lower a pistol until it is assembled. Therefore, they suggested assembling it into a pistol, obtaining permit to purchase from the local PD, and then taking it in for registration.

I went to my local PD and obtained a purchase permit and filled it out. I also told them what I was doing.  I then brought the AR pistol back to them for safety inspection/registration. Mine had a 11.5" bbl and a telestock buffer tube on it but I took it in with the upper and lower separated (just in case they had an issue).  It  confused the desk officer a bit, but I explained it to him.  The woman in the records bureau could not find the name of the manufacturer (it was a Century marked CMT lower)  on her pistol list so she had to add it, but it was no problem.

Since then I also built and registered a Stag lower as a pistol using the same 11.5" upper.

Here's something to consider. If the bbl on your registered AR pistol is less than 16" you can't put a stock on it  because that makes it a short barreled rifle.  If 16" or more you can put a stock on it
and use it as a rifle.
Link Posted: 4/27/2005 2:40:07 PM EDT
[#5]
I used a 10.3".  Your 11.5" wont be a problem.  If you use the buffer tube from a tele-stock, just make sure the stock aint around when you go to register it.  Also, if you want to register just the lower, call the city or county that you have to go through.  See if they will let you.  I don't care what the state police say because I don't have to deal with them.
I'm starting to think I live in one of the more gun freindly counties.  
Link Posted: 4/27/2005 6:00:55 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I used a 10.3".  Your 11.5" wont be a problem.  If you use the buffer tube from a tele-stock, just make sure the stock aint around when you go to register it.  Also, if you want to register just the lower, call the city or county that you have to go through.  See if they will let you.  I don't care what the state police say because I don't have to deal with them.
I'm starting to think I live in one of the more gun freindly counties.  

Never underestimate the power of a liberal canadian governer in office
Link Posted: 4/30/2005 1:44:07 PM EDT
[#7]
but...if you have a barrel less than 16" and you have a stock or buffer tube capable of accepting a stock, you have an NFA violation, as MI doesn't allow SBRs.  --that's even if you registered it as a pistol.
Same with VFGs on something you've registered as a pistol with an OAL of less than 26" - that's an AOW.
Link Posted: 4/30/2005 5:30:55 PM EDT
[#8]
lokt- The letter from the ATF that's floating around here did'nt say the buffer tube had to be modified for use on an AR pistol.  It said you could'nt have a stock on it but  I modified mine anyway just to be safe.  Also, my mossberg bullpup has a VFG and is registered as a pistol but it's not an AOW.  The feds say it's just a shotgun not an AOW.  Michigan can make me register it but can't make it an AOW.
Link Posted: 4/30/2005 9:24:18 PM EDT
[#9]
hmm.  I guess better safe then sorry on the buttstock.

Regarding the Mossberg bull pup, is that because it's a smoothbore firearm?  
Link Posted: 5/2/2005 3:48:32 AM EDT
[#10]
I took my new,stripped lower into the Muskegon Sherriffs office and registered it .
They looked at me kinda weird.Seems I was one of the first they had delt with.I took a copy of the ATF letter explaining it with me and they copied it for their own records.They reminded me about no stock........ever.

Cant wait to build it.Should make for an awesome CCW pistol.
Link Posted: 5/3/2005 7:45:01 AM EDT
[#11]
Cant have a Stock On a pistol!hippie.gif
Link Posted: 5/3/2005 11:05:47 AM EDT
[#12]
i bought a reciever from cmmg, and built it as a pistol, took it in and registered it, not one problem...
Link Posted: 5/5/2005 5:56:45 AM EDT
[#13]
Yeah, NO stock, because adding a stock makes the weapon much more leathal. At study I read showed that criminals shot the an AR with a stock said it hurt more than being shot with one without a stock.

Silly politicians brains are for kids.

AKARFAN
Link Posted: 5/5/2005 8:30:56 AM EDT
[#14]
here is a short vid clip of mine, runs like a watch, it has since been sold

Go here

http://www.tacticalsupplies.us/VIDEO.html

third video down

edited because i refuse to learn to spell
Link Posted: 5/11/2005 1:11:27 PM EDT
[#15]
Just registered my ak pistol in warren,no problems.Next week my ar pistol ....
Link Posted: 5/12/2005 3:09:37 PM EDT
[#16]
yager,  your name sounds fimilar, something I haven't heard since........
Link Posted: 5/15/2005 6:49:53 AM EDT
[#17]
I was over in  Port Huron this weekend at the Hock shop.  They were selling an UZI with an overall length of 24' that had a folding stock.  I asked them if that was Legal and they said it was because they were selling it as a pistol?  I thought it was illieagal to have a stock on a pistol as stated above.  Any opinions?
Link Posted: 5/20/2005 6:07:09 PM EDT
[#18]
MY understanding is if its a pistol it cant have a stock ,and if its a rifle with a FOLDING stock and is between 26 - 30 inch's it has to have a pistol permit ,under 26 w/stock equal sbr.I believe they mention the uzi specifically
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 11:16:41 AM EDT
[#19]
From all I have heard that Uzi is a NO NO in Michigan.....
Link Posted: 5/21/2005 6:05:28 PM EDT
[#20]
An Uzi needs a long barrel in michigan due to it's overall length when the stock is folded.  It needs something like a 20" barrel to be legal in MI.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top